What did you just read?

Biggby

Molten Core Raider
I read this based on a read and recommend post from Richard Morgan and so I will paste his take... it's diffficult to nail down how this book left me... hopeful but disturbed by my own reaction.

A Man Lies Dreaming – Lavie Tidhar
Okay, full disclosure – I met this guy at the Celsius232 festival in Aviles this summer, and he’s a riot. And he gave me a free hardback copy of this book. Which is without question the most bizarre novel I’ve read in the last few years, and though I liked it, I can see how a lot of people wouldn’t; A Man Lies Dreaming is basically the answer to the question “What would a pulp thriller called Hitler: PI look like?” And if that idea in itself offends you, well, then you’ll probably want to give this a miss, because it doesn’t get any more tasteful or comfortable on entry. In an alternate-reality 1939, history has jumped the tracks and a down-at-heel ex-dictator now ekes out a living as a private detective, hired most recently by a beautiful and wealthy Jewish woman to find her missing sister. Meantime, out in the London night, a killer is stalking the local whores, failed Nazi refugees slither about running sex slaves and people trafficking networks, and Oswald Mosley is positioning himself to be Britain’s next Prime Minister. Pick the bones out of that if you can. Part of the fun of the book is spotting the various historical characters and contexts, all twisted out of true by the alternate path that history has taken, but if that’s not your speed, there are also fistfights and chases and confrontations, twisted sexual encounters, childhood traumas relived and, somewhere out beyond the reality of the main narrative, a haunting tale of a Jewish pulp fiction writer’s last days in the charnel house hell of Auschwitz. You could infer from all of the above that this is a book devoid of hope, but that’s not quite true – Tidhar’s gameplan is too complex and oblique for such basic nihilism; instead, what we’re given to hold is a smashed portrait of the human damage we know all too well, gashed artfully open so we can see the faint and fitful seep of humanity in the spaces between.

My own reccomendation also from Lavie Tidhar is The Violent Century. Bits of World War 2 and the cold war with Supers but not heroic. Almost bits of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy but the spy has some nifty powers.

I read these abou 18 months apar based off of two different recommendations and didn't even connect the author.. I will look into a steampunk alternate history he's written that I have gotten wind of also.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
jctn.jpg

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Finished both of Andrew Rowe's first series (The War of the Broken Mirrors and Arcane Ascension). Beware, series are ongoing. They appear to share a common universe where magic is manipulated and controlled leading to a manner similar to a class system. The War of Broken Mirrors is more classic fantasy, the Arcane Ascension is more like litrpg. Gave them 4-5 stars on goodreads.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I have just finished everything currently out by Mark lawrence, bakker, Morgan, Sanderson don't have anything coming out for a while, rothfus Will never finish,

I need a suggestion, as you might tell, other than sanderson i like gritty and violent.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So I have just finished everything currently out by Mark lawrence, bakker, Morgan, Sanderson don't have anything coming out for a while, rothfus Will never finish,

I need a suggestion, as you might tell, other than sanderson i like gritty and violent.

The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle, #1) by Miles Cameron

That is book 1, I'm on 4 of 5. The entire series is completed too, which always helps. 600'ish pages per book too. Obviously it could shit the bed in the last two books, but so far I'm loving it. It has a good mixture of grit, magic that makes decent sense, intrigue that doesn't overwhelm the story or baffle me as to wtf is going on, and memorable characters. There are a ton of characters, but unlike most books with so many characters I am able to recognize most of them immediately. And if I don't, they probably aren't that important.

I'm really enjoying them. Not sure if anyone else has already reviewed them here to give another perspective, but I'd be interested to hear what they say.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I finished listening to book 5 of the Expeditionary Force series, and I'm really torn. Book 6 is out, but it's not out on Audible. I love the voice actor, he really nails it for me. I'm torn if I'm going to read it or wait, because I have no idea how long the wait will be. I'm getting pretty used to listening to books now.

I'm loving the series. Lots of laughs and a good story. The 2 main characters really make it. Book 4 went a little off the rails in a book was too serious manner, but book 5 was back to standard fair. I highly recommend it.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Since Amazon still does a poor job at telling me interesting stuff is coming out, I just noticed that the 2nd translation of S.T.Y.X. has landed.

STYX is a russian series that is best described as "Mad Max meets The Walking Dead meets The X-Men". There is a multiverse, but it's broken, and every now and then, a piece of Earth breaks down and falls to the dregs of the universe: The Hive. It's a stitched world with parts of earth, and every now and then, each bit "resets" as a new copy of that part falls down in place, erasing the previous one and refreshing it. The whole is pervaded with a kind of alien spore that infects quickly people. Most of them turn into cannibalistic mutants, and a handful of "immunes" resist the infection by killing the mutated freaks and using spores to make an delaying agent to combat mutation. The side effects of that being interesting as people gain surhuman abilities.

The result is a kind of insane mashup of genres that somehow works. If you like a crossover between survivor genre, light superhero, and zombie stuff (the WWZ kind, not the Romero shamblers), that's your series.

PS: Cancel The Walking Dead, and replace it with STYX, and I'll subscribe to whatever streaming platform, just for that. As long as the cat is there.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The best luck I've had with Amazon telling me things are coming out is going to the author's page and following the author

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Just finished The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer. I'd passed over this one a few times in the bookstore because, based on the name, I was expecting something with a stupid gimmick; but after seeing it recommended on some history forums, I decided to give it a shot. I'm glad I did, as this ended up being one of the more interesting history books I've read in a while. Rather than a more typical history book, which focuses on describing a particular set of events, this is more of what I guess could be called a "cultural" or "social" history, focusing on describing what society was like and how people lived in 14th-century England. I tend to find those sorts of particulars more interesting than just descriptions of events.

I know the author's done a couple other books in a similar vein for different time periods in England, but I'd love to find similar types of books dealing with more varied locations and time periods.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I finally read Witness by Whittaker Chambers.

Despite it being a fairly famous book and dealing with areas i had great interest in i never actually got around to it until this week. Chambers Likely would have been one of the great writers of the 20th century if he had not dedicated much of his life to the communist underground and the last third of it to anti-communism. He also basically launched the political careers of two presidents, most know about Nixon but Reagan claimed Witness converted him from a New Deal Democrat to a republican. He would often quote from it by memory to his colleagues.

Overall it's pretty good. Chambers saw himself as a sort of Dostoevsky like figure, he thought communism would inevitably triumph over capitalism, it's all very weighty stuff but it perhaps reveals the true danger and intent of classical soviet communism better then any book I've read since.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I've been reading the Dan Brown's Langdon series. I have a love-hate relationship with them. On the one hand I love ancient mysteries, symbolism, conspiracies, and the large amount of cool facts in the books. On the other hand, Dan Brown could be the greatest Buzzfeed writer that ever lived if he decided to write clickbait articles. He some how manages to write 150-200 pages worth of plot into 400 pages, and ends every chapter with shit like "What he saw shocked him!" "And then the killer entered the room with the victim." or "He decided to tell them all". Infuriating.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I am currently reading a book called Occultation and Other Stories by Laird Barron. It was recommended by a podcast I listen to called Shock Waves. Its suppossed to be Neo Lovecraftian. I have read the first two stories so far and I like it.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
At Any Prince by David Drake - A mercenary company composed of heavy tanks (the Hammer's Slammers) is stationed on a rocky world colonized by Russians. They've been hired to help fight a war against the Molts, a race of horned bipedal lizards that can teleport between geodes.

Rolling Hot by David Drake - The Hammer's Slammers mercenary troop is now stationed on a world in the midst of a civil war. When the rebels launch a massive assault on the world government, a mismatched strike force of barely repaired armored cars and hover tanks are given an important mission. Led by a captain and senior sergeant - both of whom suffer from severe PTSD that got them transferred to the rear - the strike force has to blast their way through enemy lines to secure the planetary governor.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Since Amazon still does a poor job at telling me interesting stuff is coming out, I just noticed that the 2nd translation of S.T.Y.X. has landed.

STYX is a russian series that is best described as "Mad Max meets The Walking Dead meets The X-Men". There is a multiverse, but it's broken, and every now and then, a piece of Earth breaks down and falls to the dregs of the universe: The Hive. It's a stitched world with parts of earth, and every now and then, each bit "resets" as a new copy of that part falls down in place, erasing the previous one and refreshing it. The whole is pervaded with a kind of alien spore that infects quickly people. Most of them turn into cannibalistic mutants, and a handful of "immunes" resist the infection by killing the mutated freaks and using spores to make an delaying agent to combat mutation. The side effects of that being interesting as people gain surhuman abilities.

The result is a kind of insane mashup of genres that somehow works. If you like a crossover between survivor genre, light superhero, and zombie stuff (the WWZ kind, not the Romero shamblers), that's your series.

PS: Cancel The Walking Dead, and replace it with STYX, and I'll subscribe to whatever streaming platform, just for that. As long as the cat is there.

Started this. This is good shit.

Total fucking batshit... but it somehow works lol.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Bloody Rose just came out today, follow up to Kings of the Wyld (The Band). Got another book I'm reading now but can't wait to get started on it.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Last night i read that book written by a member here. Forget the name. Spiral X vampire hunter series. I wanted to really like it. I found the overall premise interesting but a serious lack of cohesion in the narrative. Cheryl's motivations and attitude make very little sense to me.

Cheryl running a major construction company while also moonlighting as a batman type vampire hunter (complete with three years of ninja training) with seemingly limitless resources and connections. All the while simultaneously having a hot mess of a personal life like your typical 22 year old college grad who has no idea what they are doing. This is an extremely conflicting character to me and I really really disliked her. It's like a worse version of Stephanie Plum from those Janet Eveanovich novels I used to read as a kid because my mom had them laying around.

Ukerric Ukerric hit me with some series if you'd be so kind my friend!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Ukerric Ukerric hit me with some series if you'd be so kind my friend!
I'm reaching 115 out of 125 for my 2018 reading challenge on Goodreads (going to break last year's record by a large margin) so there should be stuff to read.

I've finished the Destiny's Crucible series; it's a good break point at book 4 or 5; the initial plot is wrapped up and everyone's chilling out after winning in book 4 (of course it's not going to last - book 5 is a collection of short tales that already hint about much, much more).

Basically, it's a portal fantasy where a chemistry engineer gets his plane blown up by a security malfunction from an UFO. The aliens that grabbed him to save his life can't dump him back on earth, so they shove him to a world where he should be forgotten and won't matter much. Fat chance, of course. The series is relatively predictable, but the character is relatively well written, and the interactions by the natives are entertaining.

And then, of course, book 5 arrives, and shit hits the rotating impeller (even if the hero doesn't know it yet).

Outside of that, I've caught up with Larry Correia's Monster Hunter International series in which, as you can guess, monsters are real, and most government pay mercenaries (due to the death rate, which is bad for federal agents) to hunt them. There's God, there's Old Gods as well, and basically everything and the kitchen sink. Humor is top notch. Correia has learned his craft, and when he's not trying to hack the Hugo Awards, he produces good shit.

And finally, I'm awaiting (should be out next month) the third and last of Superhuman series from Evan Currie.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

Finished the two books that are out, pretty good shit. Dude needs an editor or at least a group of people willing to proof read though