What did you just read?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Finished the two books that are out, pretty good shit. Dude needs an editor or at least a group of people willing to proof read though
Yea. The other translations from russian he did have had... varying quality. (the last of the Weirdest Noob trilogy was an horror)

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
There is a new Peter F Hamilton book out today. I likely won't get around to it for a while though

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
There is a new Peter F Hamilton book out today. I likely won't get around to it for a while though
Welp? I was going "why hasn't amazon notified me it's on my kindle library", but it turns out my ebook will be landing on thursday, because it's the english Pan version, not the US Del Rey one...

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Last night i read that book written by a member here. Forget the name. Spiral X vampire hunter series. I wanted to really like it. I found the overall premise interesting but a serious lack of cohesion in the narrative. Cheryl's motivations and attitude make very little sense to me.

Cheryl running a major construction company while also moonlighting as a batman type vampire hunter (complete with three years of ninja training) with seemingly limitless resources and connections. All the while simultaneously having a hot mess of a personal life like your typical 22 year old college grad who has no idea what they are doing. This is an extremely conflicting character to me and I really really disliked her. It's like a worse version of Stephanie Plum from those Janet Eveanovich novels I used to read as a kid because my mom had them laying around.

Ukerric Ukerric hit me with some series if you'd be so kind my friend!
Moontayle is the username you are looking for. Apparently he isn't registered here. There was at least one other book, whether a full novel or novella I can't remember, and I think a short story. I enjoyed them well enough for what they were, and donated my proofreading for them, but I would imagine you aren't interested in looking for the others. Still, I would have liked to know where the story went from there.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm reaching 115 out of 125 for my 2018 reading challenge on Goodreads (going to break last year's record by a large margin) so there should be stuff to read.

I've finished the Destiny's Crucible series; it's a good break point at book 4 or 5; the initial plot is wrapped up and everyone's chilling out after winning in book 4 (of course it's not going to last - book 5 is a collection of short tales that already hint about much, much more).

Basically, it's a portal fantasy where a chemistry engineer gets his plane blown up by a security malfunction from an UFO. The aliens that grabbed him to save his life can't dump him back on earth, so they shove him to a world where he should be forgotten and won't matter much. Fat chance, of course. The series is relatively predictable, but the character is relatively well written, and the interactions by the natives are entertaining.

And then, of course, book 5 arrives, and shit hits the rotating impeller (even if the hero doesn't know it yet).

Outside of that, I've caught up with Larry Correia's Monster Hunter International series in which, as you can guess, monsters are real, and most government pay mercenaries (due to the death rate, which is bad for federal agents) to hunt them. There's God, there's Old Gods as well, and basically everything and the kitchen sink. Humor is top notch. Correia has learned his craft, and when he's not trying to hack the Hugo Awards, he produces good shit.

And finally, I'm awaiting (should be out next month) the third and last of Superhuman series from Evan Currie.

This Monster Hunter series is great. Owen is an insufferable Mary Sue piece of shit though. I can't stand him. Every other character is fantastic.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
This Monster Hunter series is great. Owen is an insufferable Mary Sue piece of shit though. I can't stand him. Every other character is fantastic.
Same thing with his other series, The Grimnoir Chronicles. The main character in that series is literally Owen with a different name and set of abilities. All the other characters are fucking amazing though. I even liked the young, precocious girl, might have been named Faye but I could be smoking crack too. She was actually really great. Better (young) female character than the majority of writers I've read. But he's a terrible misogynist, haven't you heard!?

Overall though, that series is worth reading as well, despite my criticism of the main character. If you can stomach Owen to experience the rest of the MH series and enjoy it, you'll be fine doing the same with The Grimnoir Chronicles.

I also always felt like the name of the series was off. I'm fairly certain he did it to spoof the "grimdark" description, but this series doesn't really strike that chord with me. I mean, it's plenty grim and dark, but I always associate grimdark with sword & sorcery fantasy stuff, not early 1900s alternate history with magic. Maybe that's just me.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of what I just read, finished The Traitor Son Cycle Series by Miles Cameron last night so I could start the new Black Company book, Port of Shadows.

Overall I really enjoyed Traitor Son, solid 4 out of 5. There was a little "genderfluid" shit in the last couple books, but I sincerely feel that he wrote it as just his idea of a cool take on a character. In the glossary at the end of the final book, he even CYAs himself by bowing to the SJWs and saying that the character was written "before the author became knowledgeable on proper gender pronouns" or whatever bullshit. Basically, he used stuff like "s/he" and "hir" instead of all the xhe/xir crap. Anyway, it didn't really ruin anything, but with how much we see it today, and laugh at it on this forum, it stood out to me and I figured I should mention it in case anyone reads the series.

The only real nitpick I would have with the series is that the final book is, on purpose, like 80% just descriptions of battle after battle. Not necessarily up close combat like say Abercrombie, and not really much in the way of specific tactical and strategic maneuvers, but sort of a combo of both, with an emphasis on stuff like, "The center lost 50 men in a matter of seconds as the enemy archers took their toll, but they stood firm and held while the company's archers answered in kind, to much heavier effect. Meanwhile, the right flank finally forced its way through the swamp and the insufficient defenders there, and were taking their toll on the enemies baggage train." I mean, stuff like that, with an emphasis on how many people died, including semi-notable characters we've sometimes known for 4+ books, who died suddenly, or heroically, or tragically, or wastefully, whatever in a given engagement. They'll be named so we know they died, but mostly forgotten after that, because the book is mostly a series of battle after battle and there either isn't time to mourn, or everyone just knows war is hell and carries on, they might be next.

I don't think I'm doing a very good job of explaining. It wasn't bad, and I'm sure I'm exaggerating how much of the book it was, but after you've read something similar literally a dozen times, the next dozen sort of stand out as being a bit repetitive, even if it is a completely different battle with different characters, you know?

Still, highly recommend it. Loved the overall concept and execution. There were a few logical leaps that characters made that I was a little unclear how they made them, but aside from that I pretty much enjoyed every character. Nobody that outright annoyed me or seemed unrealistic from one situation to the next. Easy 4 out 5 rating for me.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Same thing with his other series, The Grimnoir Chronicles. The main character in that series is literally Owen with a different name and set of abilities. All the other characters are fucking amazing though. I even liked the young, precocious girl, might have been named Faye but I could be smoking crack too. She was actually really great. Better (young) female character than the majority of writers I've read. But he's a terrible misogynist, haven't you heard!?

Overall though, that series is worth reading as well, despite my criticism of the main character. If you can stomach Owen to experience the rest of the MH series and enjoy it, you'll be fine doing the same with The Grimnoir Chronicles.

I also always felt like the name of the series was off. I'm fairly certain he did it to spoof the "grimdark" description, but this series doesn't really strike that chord with me. I mean, it's plenty grim and dark, but I always associate grimdark with sword & sorcery fantasy stuff, not early 1900s alternate history with magic. Maybe that's just me.

Oh yeah, I am on Book 5 with Franks leading the way and it's great. But fuck man, I wanted to like Owen but it's like he's written by a first time author who just doesn't know how NOT to write Mary Sue trash character while simultaneously being able to write supporting characters that are fantastic, complex and very interesting.

This series would have been better if Grant Jefferson was the main character for fuck's sake. Let's just compare those two. Mainly because Grant was MEANT to be a foil to Owen.

Owen:
  • Speaks five languages fluently for some reason. This is never used in any actual plot device or point but he routinely brings it up that he knows five languages fluently. Not counting learning Portuguese through magic.
  • Extremely proficient at all firearms and loves guns. This one is okay because he did work for it ad was trained a lot by his dad.. whatever.
  • Extreme, almost superhuman strength.
  • Nearly superhuman abilities in close combat and fist fighting. (Illegal Pit Fighter for extra cash during accountant school. Fucking seriously?)
  • His success causes pain and misery to literally everyone around him and he does not even give a fuck about it. His brother for instance. That part made me salty. Punch your brother in the face after totally ruining his life and bankrupting him. Then telling him to suck it up while you dance off and get married and filthy rich. Doesn't mention he spread it around to his bro at all though of course. Fuck that guy!
  • Hypocritical piece of shit. Get Grant Jefferson to quit MHI because he left you behind when you turn around and leave 4 more people to actually get killed and even Julie ended being okay with it. No remorse for it other than a few lines. When you did it it was the right thing to do.
  • Stupid sarcasm at every point in a hyuk hyuk three stooges kind of way.
  • Total prick to anyone not in his, "inner circle"
  • Tells people that, "Yup, I'm the Chosen One you can't touch me!" and other dumb shit.And actually means it.
  • My biggest gripe about him is that he is put in these crazy situations sure. But the author is terrible about even presenting that Owen was impacted by it. One moment he ruins his brother's life the next moment he's chowing down at the buffet yammering about how awesome the food is.

Grant:
  • Born with a silver spoon in his mouth but his family expected a great deal from him.
  • Worked hard and succeeded at meeting the Family criteria and graduated Harvard Law, got a good job etc.
  • Ended up at MHI because he wanted to make a difference in something that mattered.
  • Has serious flaws. Like Pride and Vanity.
  • Dude has never really failed at anything in his life and is hit by a truck when he encounters actual failure. He doesn't know how to deal with it and does some erratic things. This is good character development.
  • Full of himself and boasts. But he does get humbled and learns to be better at things like this. Also good character development.
  • Does not possess superhuman strength and fighting skills. Learns he does have weaknesses. Profound ones.
  • Not a superhuman master of firearms.
  • Total prick to everyone because he was born in the upper crust of society. But he is learning and it has shown every time he comes into play in the books.
  • Trying to make a difference and doesn't care about the money. Goes and joins the government Monster Hunters and still grows as a character... in good ways.
  • More willing to work with MHI than the MHI is willing to work with MCB.
  • Fails and immediately makes drastic changes to improve (like quitting MHI and joining MCB).

This is a bit much I know but it's fresh in my mind after reading this stuff for a week. Every book makes me hate Owen more. Team Grant and Team Earl and Team Franks though! Also Team Holly!

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I have an audible credit and am not sure what to get, I just finished the first law trilogy, I could go with the first stand alone book in that setting Best served cold, or I could try traitor son or black company. Any suggestions.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Oh yeah, I am on Book 5 with Franks leading the way and it's great. But fuck man, I wanted to like Owen but it's like he's written by a first time author who just doesn't know how NOT to write Mary Sue trash character while simultaneously being able to write supporting characters that are fantastic, complex and very interesting.

This series would have been better if Grant Jefferson was the main character for fuck's sake. Let's just compare those two. Mainly because Grant was MEANT to be a foil to Owen.

Owen:
  • Speaks five languages fluently for some reason. This is never used in any actual plot device or point but he routinely brings it up that he knows five languages fluently. Not counting learning Portuguese through magic.
  • Extremely proficient at all firearms and loves guns. This one is okay because he did work for it ad was trained a lot by his dad.. whatever.
  • Nearly superhuman abilities in close combat and fist fighting. (Illegal Pit Fighter for extra cash during accountant school. Fucking seriously?)
  • His success causes pain and misery to literally everyone around him and he does not even give a fuck about it. His brother for instance. That part made me salty. Punch your brother in the face after totally ruining his life and bankrupting him. Then telling him to suck it up while you dance off and get married and filthy rich. Doesn't mention he spread it around to his bro at all though of course. Fuck that guy!
  • Hypocritical piece of shit. Get Grant Jefferson to quit MHI because he left you behind when you turn around and leave 4 more people to actually get killed and even Julie ended being okay with it. No remorse for it other than a few lines. When you did it it was the right thing to do.
  • Tells people that, "Yup, I'm the Chosen One you can't touch me!" and other dumb shit.And actually means it.
  • My biggest gripe about him is that he is put in these crazy situations sure. But the author is terrible about even presenting that Owen was impacted by it. One moment he ruins his brother's life the next moment he's chowing down at the buffet yammering about how awesome the food is.

Grant:
  • Born with a silver spoon in his mouth but his family expected a great deal from him.
  • Worked hard and succeeded at meeting the Family criteria and graduated Harvard Law, got a good job etc.
  • Ended up at MHI because he wanted to make a difference in something that mattered.
  • Dude has never really failed at anything in his life and is hit by a truck when he encounters actual failure. He doesn't know how to deal with it and does some erratic things. This is good character development.
  • Full of himself and boasts. But he does get humbled and learns to be better at things like this. Also good character development.
  • Does not possess superhuman strength and fighting skills. Learns he does have weaknesses. Profound ones.
  • Total prick to everyone because he was born in the upper crust of society. But he is learning and it has shown every time he comes into play in the books.
  • Trying to make a difference and doesn't care about the money. Goes and joins the government Monster Hunters and still grows as a character... in good ways.
  • Fails and immediately makes drastic changes to improve (like quitting MHI and joining MCB).

This is a bit much I know but it's fresh in my mind after reading this stuff for a week. Every book makes me hate Owen more. Team Grant and Team Earl and Team Franks though! Also Team Holly!
Yeah, I agree about Grant, although he was written so that we dislike him, because Owen dislikes him, so I never really thought of it the way you did. I can't argue your points though. Owen is, I'm pretty sure, exactly how Correia pictures himself, if he were put in these situations. Unfortunately, even though I like Correia, it seems like he'd be an insufferable prick if he ever had this level of power.

Franks is my boy though. I loved Franks from the moment I saw him. I waited very impatiently for his book, and was not disappointed. I'd much rather he be the focus of the remaining books. Or Earl could maybe swap off with him, as I really enjoyed his book too.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So I have an audible credit and am not sure what to get, I just finished the first law trilogy, I could go with the first stand alone book in that setting Best served cold, or I could try traitor son or black company. Any suggestions.
Unfortunately I have no idea how the narrators are for any of those, because I feel it makes a HUGE difference to a lot of people. Personally, just going by the books themselves, I'd choose Black Company because it doesn't get any better than those first three books (for me), and I feel everyone that enjoys that style (as you obviously do) should read the series that pretty much started it all. But I've admitted I'm a huge fanboi for it, so take that for what it's worth.

I don't listen to any audiobooks at all, actually, so can you at least preview what the narrators sound like? That might be the deciding factor, because I'd hate to recommend one and have you hate it just because the narrator sounds like shit.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Did you check out Galaxy Outlaws? It's pretty great, and it's like 80 hours for 1 credit. It's very in-line with Firefly style of theme

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

Owen:

Grant:

Great description. I hate Mary Sues and really lose my respect for such authors as well. I love Franks but his characterization of Grant isn't anything special. The variation between an extremely poorly created main character and a decent one of his foil isn't great writing, it just shows the guy could do better. Correia is an average writer who came up with a great setting and has talent with action scenes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I saw the discussion in the audio book thread, may check it out, been on more of a fantasy kick lately so trying to decide if I am ready for a change.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Welp? I was going "why hasn't amazon notified me it's on my kindle library", but it turns out my ebook will be landing on thursday, because it's the english Pan version, not the US Del Rey one...
Finished, I'd give it 2½ stars out of 5, which is a low bar for Hamilton.

("Salvation", book 1 of new series)

The background is a new one, but the first book absolutely suffers from too many timelines. You have a central timeline, a number of flashbacks from that timeline (the participants to a mission narrate old stories) that catch up to the main, and a future one... and the future one feels bolted on. Basically, you could strip it, and still have a complete book and story - even if shorter. I expect the second book to use the future timeline as the main, and tie the previous main to it. But... it's hard to express, but I liked the story, I hated the presentation.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I finished the Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. Pretty good. 8/10.

The most remarkable thing about this series, in my opinion, is how it never reached an emotional peak. There were highs and lows, but never a moment in all the series that I can look back at and say "Wow, that was fucking awesome."

That's not to say there weren't moments that could have been epic. I can think of a dozen or so off hand, but Cornwell has the disgusting habit of underplaying such moments like this guitar solo from Final Placement.

I can see it coming. I can't wait. Oh, shit, it's finally here. It's going to be epic! And...

Oh... Damn it, Cornwell!

So, it was enjoyable, but not excellent.

Last edited:

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
Finished, I'd give it 2½ stars out of 5, which is a low bar for Hamilton.

("Salvation", book 1 of new series)

The background is a new one, but the first book absolutely suffers from too many timelines. You have a central timeline, a number of flashbacks from that timeline (the participants to a mission narrate old stories) that catch up to the main, and a future one... and the future one feels bolted on. Basically, you could strip it, and still have a complete book and story - even if shorter. I expect the second book to use the future timeline as the main, and tie the previous main to it. But... it's hard to express, but I liked the story, I hated the presentation.

I was struggling a little bit during the first 1/3, but then the connections between the three timelines started to become more clear. I enjoyed the final half of the book, especially the ending. If anything, my complaints are more that it seems very safe. He's playing with a lot of the same motifs from the Commonwealth books. Portals, longevity, post-scarcity, first contact. It almost feels a little rougher, quality and in mood, compared to the last two Commonwealth arcs. If almost has the feeling of Fallen Dragon in a way.

I'd lean towards 3.5 out of 5 on it. I'm kind of confused how it's going to play out in the next books. I don't see how he can use the same plot format. If it picks up from the end of the "future" timeline, it feels like there will be a big disconnect as you give up on a lot of the characters introduced in the first book. Instead of making me excited to read more, it makes me want to go back and reread all the Commonwealth books again. 3.5 seems low, but it's worth reading.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unfortunately I have no idea how the narrators are for any of those, because I feel it makes a HUGE difference to a lot of people. Personally, just going by the books themselves, I'd choose Black Company because it doesn't get any better than those first three books (for me), and I feel everyone that enjoys that style (as you obviously do) should read the series that pretty much started it all. But I've admitted I'm a huge fanboi for it, so take that for what it's worth.

I don't listen to any audiobooks at all, actually, so can you at least preview what the narrators sound like? That might be the deciding factor, because I'd hate to recommend one and have you hate it just because the narrator sounds like shit.
Went with your suggestion for the black company book one and really enjoyed it, the narrator was good, really fit the characters. Got the 1st 10 last night so i should he set for a little while. Thanks

• 1Solidarity

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
Miles Cameron: Traitor Son Chronicles 1 & 2. Good shit if you like military fantasy.

So I just finished this series, and liked it overall despite some flaws. The battles were pretty well done though a lot of the characters felt....flat, and the world was an odd mixture of well made and described in some places and completely one dimensional in others. Still though, I enjoyed it overall, but my biggest disappointment was that while the end of the series wrapped up most of the immediate events, it left some pretty big questions about the world/setting completely unanswered which is really bugging me.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Instead of making me excited to read more, it makes me want to go back and reread all the Commonwealth books again. 3.5 seems low, but it's worth reading.
I went one step further back and picked the Night's Dawn trilogy instead. And my first thought was "what? 1996??? That's... prehistoric!" (I even have the books signed, I didn't remember that he came at my usual bookstore then for a signing tour).