What did you just read?

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fireforce: One Man's War in the Rhodesian Light Infantry by Chris Cocks

Wicked good. Kid is drafted into the Rhodesian Army and sent to join the Light Infantry. He hates it and has flat feet so he can't run well.

Learns to love the Army. Near the end of the second year of the three year term, he signs on with the regular Army for another couple of years. Also, gets married around this time and there are a few good drunk stories.

Pretty good biopic of this guy's time during the War. Doesn't go into politics.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Diasporaby Greg Egan

A pretty fascinating read filled with interesting ideas about post-humanity, particle physics, cosmology and universes with more than 3+1 dimensions. It feels a bit like Sci-Fi for and by institutes of technology students though: a lot of hard science, but not a lot of style nor a lot of plot.
I read 2312 not that long ago, pretty interesting along similar lines.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm on book 11 of the vlad taltos books. These are fun. Just read the back to back books and now I have to go back in time and read about something that happened a few years ago... Again.

Kind of tough to keep jumping all over the place.
Finally read the latest one,Hawk, from last year. It was pretty awesome. Felt like a classic Vlad story from the first few books. From page one it's basically Vlad in Adrilankha running a huge scheme. Working with his old friends on a classic Vlad style crazy elaborate caper. Minimal drama, lots of action, lots of funny dialogue between Vlad, Loiosh, Kragar(KRAGAR IS BACK!), and Kragar's new right hand man Deregar.

It's written first person style as a memoir again, and it does somewhat overuse the sort of hand wave "shit worked out and wasn't very exciting, no point explaining it all to you" that's been a staple of the series but it's not too annoying.

Overall it was my favorite Vlad book in a pretty long time.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Just finished the LOLCat Bible. It's amusing to read but obviously has several different authors who weren't in communication with one another. Various contradictions abound and the vagaries of some of the language leave huge gaps for individual interpretation. Lots cryptic lingo and inside jokes (like when Ceiling Cat sends flies into Pharo's base to pwn all his doodz). It is an inconsistent and janky text that is difficult to glean anything useful from. So all in all, it is a fairly faithful translation.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety: Eric Schlosser: 9780143125785: Amazon.com: Books

It interweaves two narratives.

The first -- and the less interesting --- recounts an accidental release of Titan II missile oxidizer into its silo and the military's attempts to avert a major catastrophe. It'd be more interesting if the event had some real gravity, but it just doesn't make for an interesting story in comparison to any number of criticality accident, weapon losses/thefts or other sort of close-call. There was a (non-nuclear) explosion, two people died, and the event was forgotten.

The second narrative, though, is far more interesting. It doesn''t delve deeply into the history of nuclear weaponry (read Richard Rhodes' The Making of the Atomic Bomb for that -- it's the best nonfiction book I've ever read.) It's basically an overview of thelogisticsof storing and deploying nuclear weapons. The sheer number of almost-detonations (in the US!) boggles the mind, as does the danger of merelystoring and transportingthe damn things.

I recommend it, if you're into that sort of thing.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't read any of it and have nothing to go on beyond your 2 sentence review, but I am prepared to say it is 10 times better than Ready Player One.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Just finished the LOLCat Bible. It's amusing to read but obviously has several different authors who weren't in communication with one another. Various contradictions abound and the vagaries of some of the language leave huge gaps for individual interpretation. Lots cryptic lingo and inside jokes (like when Ceiling Cat sends flies into Pharo's base to pwn all his doodz). It is an inconsistent and janky text that is difficult to glean anything useful from. So all in all, it is a fairly faithful translation.
I'm not one of those Pynchon-quoting literary elitists, but I can't fathom why anyone would ever want to read that dude.

Ranak

Molten Core Raider

Szlia

Just read the first tome of a trilogy (only the first book available atm) of Le livre et l'?p?e by french fantasy author Antoine Rouaud. For once this is also available in english (and spanish and german and dutch):The Book and the Sword: The Path of Anger.

Nothing exceptional, but the structure is very cinematographic, with scenes that fade into flash backs, similar moments seen from different point of views, etc. In never goes the whole The Manuscript Found in Saragossa way (stories within stories within stories), but there is a lot of back and forth between present time and memories than are not presented chronologically. This flows nicely and keep the reader involved even if it's not some sort of puzzle. The core of the story is a mentor/student proto-father/proto-son thing in a tale of revenge, so not exceptionally original, but competent enough.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just read The Skull Throne by Peter Brett. Wait until the next book is out since this fucker is trying to milk his series for all it's worth.

Tons of questions being asked by characters, when we already know the answers. Killing people off because that's the cool thing to do these days. This thing reminds me of a sequel to trilogy bridge, not a 4th in a series. Really bad 4th book development wise for all the characters involved. Some of the previous story archs were finished, so maybe that was his goal, but again, we won't know if that was the goal until book 5 and I'm trying to find a saving grace.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Just finished the Powder Mage Trilogy by Brian McClellan, going to start on the Skull Throne by Brett now.

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just finished Half the World by Abercrombie. Thought it kicked ass.
I thought it was decent, though I liked Yarvi as a protagonist more than Thorn Bathu. Hopefully the trilogy finishes strong, and I love how fast he's writing them.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I'm currently perversely transfixed by something called Dirty Magic. I figured it would be along the lines of the Dresden Files (urban crime fantasy), but I didn't expect it to be a straight up mashup of 40% Dresden Files, 40% the 6th season of Buffy and 19% every cop show trope played straight as an arrow (with 1% of other random ideas ripped in their entirety from various sources). I actually got out of bed last night just to make sure I got my refund from kindle before the time limit runs out when I noticed that the neighbor is straight up Nanny Ogg from Discworld transported into a 21st century setting. It's literally a collage of these influences, there isn't an original idea in the entire book.

Imagine if Karrin Murphy from Dresden Files was given Harry's magic and character background (and his broken down POS car he's emotionally attached to), dropped into Season 6 of Buffy (the one where magic = drugs and they had wizards "dealing" and "magic dens" and shit), she's transferred from her boys club local police department where she spends her day on the beat arresting "street potion dealers," run by a gruff but good hearted commander (or whatever they're called) into a special unit with an acronym which is basically made up of that quirky chick from NCIS (I think? the goth lab chick), a male version of that quirky chick from NCIS, the scruffy, dark-and-brooding but talented detective and the no-nonsense pantsuit wearing team leader, all working to try and shut down the "War on Dirty Magic" for good.

That's the book. That's it. The magic itself is like those ridiculous old stories from the 80's about how crack/PCP would turn people into superstrong rampaging maniacs, the whole thing is painfully lacking in self awareness (if you're going to make your book a Frankenstein's monster of other books/TV shows, at least have the decency to do it with a wink and crack a joke or two at yourself) and given the fact that the whole thing is a direct parallel to the War on Drugs, she's obviously done absolutely zero research on the fact that it's been a total and complete failure.

In short - it sucks, and if you ever see it and think it might make a good time killer till the next Dresden book comes out, remember this warning. I'm not sure why I'm reading it - either I'm really really bored, feeling masochistic or I'm waiting to see if a scrap of originality turns up.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Been on a Scalzi kick the past few weeks. Read the follow ups to Old Man's War and The Android's Dream. A+++ would read again.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm currently perversely transfixed by something called Dirty Magic. I figured it would be along the lines of the Dresden Files (urban crime fantasy), but I didn't expect it to be a straight up mashup of 40% Dresden Files, 40% the 6th season of Buffy and 19% every cop show trope played straight as an arrow (with 1% of other random ideas ripped in their entirety from various sources). I actually got out of bed last night just to make sure I got my refund from kindle before the time limit runs out when I noticed that the neighbor is straight up Nanny Ogg from Discworld transported into a 21st century setting. It's literally a collage of these influences, there isn't an original idea in the entire book.

Imagine if Karrin Murphy from Dresden Files was given Harry's magic and character background (and his broken down POS car he's emotionally attached to), dropped into Season 6 of Buffy (the one where magic = drugs and they had wizards "dealing" and "magic dens" and shit), she's transferred from her boys club local police department where she spends her day on the beat arresting "street potion dealers," run by a gruff but good hearted commander (or whatever they're called) into a special unit with an acronym which is basically made up of that quirky chick from NCIS (I think? the goth lab chick), a male version of that quirky chick from NCIS, the scruffy, dark-and-brooding but talented detective and the no-nonsense pantsuit wearing team leader, all working to try and shut down the "War on Dirty Magic" for good.

That's the book. That's it. The magic itself is like those ridiculous old stories from the 80's about how crack/PCP would turn people into superstrong rampaging maniacs, the whole thing is painfully lacking in self awareness (if you're going to make your book a Frankenstein's monster of other books/TV shows, at least have the decency to do it with a wink and crack a joke or two at yourself) and given the fact that the whole thing is a direct parallel to the War on Drugs, she's obviously done absolutely zero research on the fact that it's been a total and complete failure.

In short - it sucks, and if you ever see it and think it might make a good time killer till the next Dresden book comes out, remember this warning. I'm not sure why I'm reading it - either I'm really really bored, feeling masochistic or I'm waiting to see if a scrap of originality turns up.
Jesus, I kinda want to watch the train wreck. Next on list!

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Haha. I haven't been able to force myself through much more of it, but I'm currently at a scene where she's at an "Arcane Anonymous" meeting. Fucking hell.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Haha. I haven't been able to force myself through much more of it, but I'm currently at a scene where she's at an "Arcane Anonymous" meeting. Fucking hell.
I'm up to book 3. Lol. She's going to cry next. Just you wait. I'm surprised Jim Butcher hasn't sued her though.

Edit* Jesus christ. People always bitch about how there's there is no good strong lead women parts written because most writers are men. Well this female author has established a pretty cliche female lead on top of stealing 20% of her character details or plot arces from better paid authors. I doubt I'll remember these three books or anything about them before the fourth one is released. Good waste of time while at being stuck at work though.