What did you just read?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Night Angel/Brent Weeks is great, his follow up series Lightbringer is even better. It's still ongoing.

Some other great series to check out:

Broken Empire/Red Queen's War trilogies (same universe) and Book of the Ancestor trilogy by Mark Lawrence

Powder Mage trilogy and Gods of Blood and Powder trilogy by Brian McClellan (a Sanderson disciple).

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Pops

51BPWeXV4UL.jpg

Just finished this.

Rime

<Donor>
Read the entirety of the WORM Web-Serial over the last few weeks.

Good story if you like the Superhero genre and do not mind grimdark/apocalypse type scenarios.

It is incredibly long. Around 22-Novels worth. It has it's highs and lows, but I was left satisfied. I would have enjoyed it more if it had been available to download, instead of having to rip it using a script.

velk

Trakanon Raider

Good story if you like the Superhero genre and do not mind grimdark/apocalypse type scenarios.

It is incredibly long. Around 22-Novels worth. It has it's highs and lows, but I was left satisfied. I would have enjoyed it more if it had been available to download, instead of having to rip it using a script.

Yeah, that one is definitely my pick for best web serial I've read, and probably best superhero story I've read overall too. Def wins "best four word chapter" of anything award too - damn that was harsh.

Author has done two others, Pact and Twig, both of which are good, if very different from Worm ( Pact is basically straight horror, Twig is hard to categorize - mad bioscience as a basis of civilization maybe ? ). Worm 2 is in progress at the moment - good but still warming up.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
i just saw an article with "the top 50 best fantasy books of the 21st century", and i'm curious about a couple series i wasn't aware of. (the list also seems semi-odd because it has the kingkiller chronicles book 1 as #1 lol)

Have any of you read either of these trilogies? i need something to read after i finish The First Law

Broken Earth or Night Angel Trilogy ?
I thought Broken Earth was amazing, really like the author and went back to read the rest of her stuff.

Rime

<Donor>
Any list that puts 'Kingkiller Chronicles' in the top 10, let alone best of the 21st century, is immediately suspect.

Would say that this list is one of those diversity first lists, but some of the books have merit.

Broken Earth was great. Night Angel starts out as your standard 'kid grows to be uber/special', but has plenty of twists and gut-wrenching moments that made it stand out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Needless

Toe Sucker
Oh i didn't expect anything of the list, but those 2 kind of stood out. I'll try the Broken Earth series after i finish with the first law

Thanks dudes

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Just finished The Space Barons, a good summary of the currently unfolding space rivalry between the big 4 billionaires (Bezos, Musk, Branson, Allen) that want to do what NASA isn't going to do: make man a spacefaring species.

If you're interested in the topic, you probably know more or less most of it, but it's still useful to refresh your memories. Notably to remember that Paul "Microsoft" Allen is still interested in space ops.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have to believe this has already been mentioned here and I just can't remember, but I'm about halfway through the first book of The Traitor Son Cycle Series by Miles Cameron and I'm loving it. It took me a bit to get used to the constant rapid changing of point of view in chapters that are sometimes only a page long, and like any split-POV book there are ones I want to read more than others, but so far I have no real complaints. It certainly isn't like Wheel of Time where you end a chapter with a character you like and look ahead to find that you have 300 pages before you're back to that character.

A friend of mine is reading them and said he had a really hard time getting into the second book, but aside from that he is enjoying it. I'm loving the mixing of perspectives, the various creatures and magics and politics, etc. And unlike many books lately, shit isn't described exhaustively, you have to figure things out or imagine them yourself. I love that.

Anyway, a little early to be hyping a 5-book series I know, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I finally made it through the graphic audio for the first 3 mistborn, now going back to normal audio books and it ruined it for me, why don't more authors do this.

italica

Trakanon Raider

I have a .mobi of that that was briefly available for download.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fuck you guys for talking up name of the wind, just finished wise mans fear and am stuck waiting, probably forever.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Fuck you guys for talking up name of the wind, just finished wise mans fear and am stuck waiting, probably forever.
I'm pretty sure I said in the Rothfuss thread that you should never read his shit because it won't get finished!

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I'm still going through the Warhammer 40k stuff I downloaded. The 4 Eisenhorn and 3 Ravenor books are a great intro to the world.

Warning: You may start hunting heretics

Wrath

Molten Core Raider

I feel like I'm missing something with Name of the Wind because everyone raves about it. I listened to the audio book on a drive and got to where the kid is an orphan in the city and I just wasn't really feeling it. Does it get better or maybe is it better to read it?

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
It definitely gets better, but it does have some lulls between high points. The guy who reads them is one of my favorite audio book reader so far.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
King of Ashes by Raymond E. Feist. Loved his shit since the Magician books. Still a pretty good writer but felt there was some cliche eye rolling type shit. Still recommend.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finished prince of thorns now working through king of thorns, great voice on the reader, second one is a little weirder than the first but I'm liking the series so far. I'm a sucker for this setting. This series reads a lot like the current grimdark d&d campaigns I am running right now so I can steal from those too.