What did you just read?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Has anyone read the Twinborn Chronicles by JS Morin?
Yep, did the audio book for both of the trilogies. Solid narration and pretty good story. If you go the audible route, it’s a hell of a deal on the price vs content scale

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yep, did the audio book for both of the trilogies. Solid narration and pretty good story. If you go the audible route, it’s a hell of a deal on the price vs content scale
Also did both, and agree. I would love to see more in the world.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Books 1-3 of the Twinborn Chronicles are on sale at Audible for $5. It was so cheap used cash and saved my credits.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I highly recommend The Wandering Inn, though it starts kind of 'eh' as the author gets his thing going. It's totally worth it.

Wildbow has three completed (quite long) stories, Worm, Pact and Twig and is doing a sequel to the first one. The first one is like 10 novels in length or something. All his stuff gets dark.

A few others I recommend highly are Unsong by Scott Alexander (finished) and A Practical Guide to Evil (ongoing).

Everybody Loves Large Chests is also pretty good. It is not about what you prolly think of by the name, it is NSFW. The protaganist is a mimic (the treasure chest kind) and it is very long and ongoing. You'd think that wouldn't be possible with a near mindless mimic. Different point of view, that's for sure.

These suggested stories will give you a LOT of good reading.

Can you get Practigal Guide to Evil in like Kindle format or do you have to read it on the site?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Finished Everybody Loves Large Chests #2 - Fizzlesprocket. The NC17 stuff is distracting but I'm invested in that damned mimic's quest to become OP.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Brief Cases by Jim Butcher, the second short story anthology for the Dresden Files. Christ, it's been too long since I've had a Dresden Files book to read; there may be authors I like more, but none are as readable as Butcher, where you can find yourself plowing through a book in a few days. He really needs to get on releasing another full book... and I may just need to do (another) full re-read of the complete series.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Read that Cradle series after someone brought it up here. That is a series that really grows on you man.

Great world building minus the weird celestial shit. I don't think it needs that. The dreadgods are more than enough IMO.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Read that guy's other series Shadow of the Sea or whatever. Love the universe of Lovecraftian overlords and shit.

But Shera is a terrible Mary Sue piece of shit with an odd obsession with taking naps that annoyed the fucking shit out of me.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Recently finished Prince of Thorns, about half way through King of Thorns. Found it recommended SOMEWHERE in here but I'll be fucked if I can find it again. Pretty good reads, plowed through the first just reading while commuting and then at breakfast. Main character is not a good person but the author gives you enough reasons to empathize. The scene with Justice and his father in the second book is fucking brutal.

After reading Dune #1 to 5 these were a good break for the brain. I gotta say, Herbert put together some great books, but I was happy to see the end of it. In the end, just TOO much religion and politics and plans within plans within plans. I think the REAL interest lasted until about half way through the 4th book and then I had to make myself finish the book and a half slog. Won't be reading them again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Finished all of the Everybody Loves Large Chests books, 1-4.

The NC-17 stuff is the weakest part of the series and make it hard to recommend to people I actually know in the physical. As time goes on the books are better written and that stuff is a smaller and smaller percentage of what is going on.

• 2Solidarity

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Finished all of the Everybody Loves Large Chests books, 1-4.

The NC-17 stuff is the weakest part of the series and make it hard to recommend to people I actually know in the physical. As time goes on the books are better written and that stuff is a smaller and smaller percentage of what is going on.
Same, just finished 4 last night. Books 3 and 4 were vastly, vastly better than the first one in all ways, especially the sex stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm as vulgar as it gets, and I don't give a shit if they want to include that sort of thing, but it was mostly just dumb how it was handled. And makes it hard to recommend, as you mentioned. Also, I believe it was book 2 where it happened but I could be wrong, the way that Fizzy was "broken" was actually upsetting to me. Not in the way normal people get upset, because I basically just mentally cringed and then shrugged and moved on, but I'm sure anyone that has read it knows exactly what I am talking about. It was shitty and distasteful, and while I see how he got from point A to point B, and why he chose to do it that way, but it was still completely unnecessary. I would imagine that's the point at which some people on the fence about the series would hop off.

If he had just taken that part out entirely and left all the mental abuse in, it still would have worked just fine I think. And same with all the Book 1 sex shit. It needed to be set up a little bit for the rest of the series to work the way he wanted it to, I guess (I'm pretty sure the series would have been just fine without ANY of that stuff though), but he could have just implied most of it. Ignoring all of that shit, these were actually a highly fascinating look at the mind of a true monster. I'm glad that Boxxy has mostly remained the same, while still learning to temper his behavior to fit in, and that is what has kept me reading. But fuck, he should rewrite that first book, and parts of the second, if he ever hopes to get any kind of mainstream acceptance. I'm no prude, so it's whatever to me, but yeah, I'm never going to tell a female to read these books, that's for sure. Well, unless I hate them.

At least it appears I can happily look forward to future books if they maintain the same level of quality and self-censoring as this last one. That last book was a solid 4, maybe even 4.5, out of 5 stars. Which is saying a lot when I compare it to "legit" novels, because most of this litrpg stuff is immensely fun to me, but I can acknowledge that they are not at the same level as a lot of the other stuff I read.

• 1Dislike

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Same, just finished 4 last night. Books 3 and 4 were vastly, vastly better than the first one in all ways, especially the sex stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm as vulgar as it gets, and I don't give a shit if they want to include that sort of thing, but it was mostly just dumb how it was handled. And makes it hard to recommend, as you mentioned. Also, I believe it was book 2 where it happened but I could be wrong, the way that Fizzy was "broken" was actually upsetting to me. Not in the way normal people get upset, because I basically just mentally cringed and then shrugged and moved on, but I'm sure anyone that has read it knows exactly what I am talking about. It was shitty and distasteful, and while I see how he got from point A to point B, and why he chose to do it that way, but it was still completely unnecessary. I would imagine that's the point at which some people on the fence about the series would hop off.

If he had just taken that part out entirely and left all the mental abuse in, it still would have worked just fine I think. And same with all the Book 1 sex shit. It needed to be set up a little bit for the rest of the series to work the way he wanted it to, I guess (I'm pretty sure the series would have been just fine without ANY of that stuff though), but he could have just implied most of it. Ignoring all of that shit, these were actually a highly fascinating look at the mind of a true monster. I'm glad that Boxxy has mostly remained the same, while still learning to temper his behavior to fit in, and that is what has kept me reading. But fuck, he should rewrite that first book, and parts of the second, if he ever hopes to get any kind of mainstream acceptance. I'm no prude, so it's whatever to me, but yeah, I'm never going to tell a female to read these books, that's for sure. Well, unless I hate them.

At least it appears I can happily look forward to future books if they maintain the same level of quality and self-censoring as this last one. That last book was a solid 4, maybe even 4.5, out of 5 stars. Which is saying a lot when I compare it to "legit" novels, because most of this litrpg stuff is immensely fun to me, but I can acknowledge that they are not at the same level as a lot of the other stuff I read.

There's a bad trope that I think originated in anime in where a character is presented as childlike in appearance but is totally legal. Oh yeah, that loli is 100% a 2000 year old dragon that just happened to take that particular form. I couldn't not think of that with Fizzy. Her journey is actually pretty interesting as a completely amoral monster trains her to be a weapon in his arsenal but her brief sexual victimization (even if it's glossed over and not at all extreme) is 100% not needed. You can get her from point A to point B just the same without it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Time for more random history books with Randin.

The Greatest Knight by Thomas Asbridge. A biography of the 12th-century English knight William Marshal, who's generally held to be one of the most famous and influential knights in England's history. Aside from simply being an interesting look at High-Medieval knighthood, the guy had a fascinating medieval version of the rags-to-riches life--the younger son of a minor noble who started out with pretty much nothing to his name except a sword and a horse, who ended his life as the most powerful man in England. Highly recommended for any fellow history nerds.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Sounds interesting. At the moment, I'm pushing through China's history : China's Last Empire: The Great Qing, with the history of the last Chinese dynasty, which had to contend with the incursion of the Europeans (mostly the British, at least at first), the Opium Wars, and then the fall with the communists taking over.

• 2Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Recently finished Prince of Thorns, about half way through King of Thorns. Found it recommended SOMEWHERE in here but I'll be fucked if I can find it again. Pretty good reads, plowed through the first just reading while commuting and then at breakfast. Main character is not a good person but the author gives you enough reasons to empathize. The scene with Justice and his father in the second book is fucking brutal.

After reading Dune #1 to 5 these were a good break for the brain. I gotta say, Herbert put together some great books, but I was happy to see the end of it. In the end, just TOO much religion and politics and plans within plans within plans. I think the REAL interest lasted until about half way through the 4th book and then I had to make myself finish the book and a half slog. Won't be reading them again.
Some of my favorite books, the other series in the broken empire starting with prince of fool's flashes out the world even more, and his other two series are pretty great too.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Read the Corin Hayes series on holiday. Pretty amateur but the world and setting is cool as fuck.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Just finished the Three Body series from Liu Cixin. I did the audio book. It's different, not sure if ti's a Chinese cultural thing or just the writer's style, but the books are quite broad and the dialogue seems formal, weird. The real win is the concepts that it discusses.

Without spoilers, I'll say that I'm glad I finished them, they are great books, great stories, very imaginative. But the final feeling I'm left with is just a shockingly overwhelming sense of nihilism. The concept of the Dark Forest, also the name of the second book, is introduced at the beginning of the second book. And it makes a lot of sense. And I think that makes it even more depressing. Definitely not the "Star Trek" view of the universe.

slight spoilers
But, even given that, I appreciate how the author didn't shy away or appease the audience. He adopts this philosophy, in terms of the book, and he rides it out. That definitely seems cultural, seems like a Western author would have given some kind of redemption or otherwise roll back the nihilism of that "dark forest" message, Liu takes that shit and runs with it.

• 2Like