What did you just read?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I honestly don't find the translation bad at all. The first 90ish chapters, Grid is a money hungry piece of shit. But he becomes a complete person after that. And they're up to chapter 1323. 1324 comes out tomorrow. God damn do I love this series. I'll jump into Magic-Smithing soon. Almost done reading Reader's Viewpoint now. Just another 100 chapters to go, so I'll be done very soon.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
There's also a lot of super Korean shit in there I don't really understand. Like social situations and cultural stuff.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Maybe it's because I've read other Korean stuff. I just brush past most of it. The terms are easy enough to grasp, and if anything confuses me, a quick google explains it. Not too bad.

I've also read the light novels for Solo Leveling and Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint in addition to Overgeared. Then I really enjoy a lot of Web Toon's as well. They're almost all Korean as a base language. Toons like "The Gamer" explains so much Korean background, that it just comes easily to me.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I just read the politics thread.

Unsure if I would recommend.

• 4Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir, book one of the Locked Tomb trilogy. An interesting science fantasy book--on the science fiction side you've got an interstellar empire, space travel, and general modern tech; the fantasy side brings in magic, specifically necromancy, and only necromancy, which the whole empire is built around. The setting has a whiff of 40k to it--an aesthetic that I'd call 'space gothic', a preference for swords in spite of the sci-fi setting, and an immortal emperor worshipped as a god--but seen through the eyes of a character not inclined to take it at all seriously. Main character Gideon gets press-ganged into playing bodyguard for the necromancer of the Ninth House when the Emperor calls for the empire's greatest necromancers to compete to become the Emperor's next immortal champions.

The story takes its time getting going, but I really liked the setting ('space necromancers' is novel enough to get my attention in general), and author's got a good style of writing. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
('space necromancers' is novel enough to get my attention in general)
For a slightly similar take on the theme, you should have a look at "Risen Empire", from Scott Westerfeld (either The Risen Empire + The Killing of Worlds or the confusingly titled The Risen Empire omnibus edition that combines both books).

You have the Undead Emperor and his Risen elites... against Space Cyborgs.

(totally science-fictional, by the way, no fantasy/magic at all)

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Iron Prince - Bryce O’Connor and Luke Chmilenko

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Prince-Warformed-Stormweaver-Book-ebook/dp/B08KGT4CLQ

Essentially Cradle, but in a sci fi steampunk-ish setting. You kinda have to hand wave away the ridiculousness of being in an intergalactic empire and still fighting with swords and shields, but it a pretty good progression fantasy overall. On KU so if you like the genre it’s worth a read.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Prince-Warformed-Stormweaver-Book-ebook/dp/B08KGT4CLQ

Essentially Cradle, but in a sci fi steampunk-ish setting. You kinda have to hand wave away the ridiculousness of being in an intergalactic empire and still fighting with swords and shields, but it a pretty good progression fantasy overall. On KU so if you like the genre it’s worth a read.
Hey, don't diss Star Wars fantasies, will you? :)

• 1Worf

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Blood of Empire by Brian McClellan, book three of the Gods of Blood and Powder trilogy. This, along with the previous Powder Mage trilogy, is set in a 19th century-style fantasy setting, with muskets and sabers, and mages that get their magic from gunpowder. This particular book was okay, but had the weird issue of feeling like the Book Two in a trilogy, rather than the finale; a lot of time is spent laying groundwork for the story, and the ending just kinda happens without much fanfare. The end was pretty clearly setting up a third trilogy, but seemingly at the cost of having a compelling ending for this one. I don't regret reading it, but Powder Mage was a better read in general.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
I really liked books one and two, but for some reason I felt book 3 really lacking and could never quite figure out why. I think things just happened too quickly, but it's been years since I've read it so it's hard to remember.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Ready Player Two.

Not as good as the first one, and some curious choices as to what to include as essential 80s culture, but still a good read.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Sufficiently Advanced Magic. I didn't really know what it was going in, because it was something I bought quite some time ago. It falls under the LitRPG umbrella but I forget how they divide it. It's just their actual world, but you get some stats and a lot of stuff works like an RPG. It was solid for the genre.

I haven't looked it up, but I would put good money on the author being a furry, so their is that.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Sufficiently Advanced Magic. I didn't really know what it was going in, because it was something I bought quite some time ago. It falls under the LitRPG umbrella but I forget how they divide it. It's just their actual world, but you get some stats and a lot of stuff works like an RPG. It was solid for the genre.

I haven't looked it up, but I would put good money on the author being a furry, so their is that.
It's a kind of weird gamelit-adjacent series. It's a "real" magic system, not a RPG system.At least until book 3, where you see what suspiciously look like a programming language embedded in those attunement tattoos.

It's properly called "Progression Fantasy", the umbrella for every fantasy book where the character's personal power levels grow in an objective manner (and there's a lot of classic fantasy that falls into that category, like Feist's Magician series).

Prequel series are The War of Mirrors, which features the origins of Keras on his original continent, and Swords and Wielders, which is more Keras backstory, except that it is "narrated" to the group while they are in the train between book 2 & 3.

As for a furry, probably not, but he's definitively a progressive, and very fond of non-conforming characters in general.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Not read technically, but listened to Jurassic Park on my last drive to and from Colorado

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
New one: The WEIRDest People in the World:

Starts with a few generalities before getting into the thing that savaged psychology in the 21st century: almost all psychological experiments were unable to be replicated because they didn't show how humans worked, they showed how educated americans worked. And it turns out that pretty much all of the world outside of the euro-cultural sphere did think completely differently.

Stuff we take for granted is an anomaly, not the way the majority of humans think. Even basic "universal principles" aren't, like using intent in matters of law. It's a very deep dive into why "we" are different, and how we came to be thus (and stomp the rest of the world, mostly).

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

Author is a progressive retard who loved to use non standard pronouns in his books even though all it does is add confusion because he is talking about a single person using plural pronouns.

The story is decent if you ignore the wokeness of it all, but he doesn’t make it easy to do so.

• 1Solidarity

velk

Trakanon Raider

Code:

I liked this a lot - Chmilenko's other series is pretty good, but I found this book to be much better overall.

• 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I was reading Stephen King and Joe Hill and was looking for another good horror author and had completely forgotten about Clive Barker. I loved him so much as a kid. So I read The Thief of Always, which is one of my favorite books ever. And I'm now reading Cabal, which I never read as a kid. Jesus it's bloody. I love the way he describes things so much. That line, at the very beginning, "He wanted to see the secret face, the Wild One beneath the skin." something like that. Jesus man. Going to do Imajica next and then Hellbound Heart and Scarlet Gospels, maybe. Huge fan of Hellraiser, especially Hellraiser 2, but never actually read the books.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Just as a fair warning The Scarlet Gospels is really bad. It took him forever to get it done and he was/is battling health problems and it just didn't come together.

edit - his collections of short stories are pretty good, the Books of Blood

Last edited:

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
powering through the 120 chapters of teh Count of Montecristo

Waiting patiently for Kingkiller chronicles book 3.