What do you do?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mizovax_sl

shitlord
Reading through the other forums, specifically the job listings forum, and became decidedly curious. Since the forum is new, the community base has been around for quite some time, but there seems to be a desire to expand it; why not open the flood gates?

Be as descriptive or vague as you're comfortable with.

Where do you work?

What do you do? (Title/keywords)

What field/industry?

Wages?

Bonuses/SEP?

Benefits?

I'll leave out the where, for now.
I'm pretty much a step below a supervisor.
Construction/fabrication.
With OT (of which there is a lot) I'm bringing in ~$1,500 a week
SEP (Shared Earnings Program) is dished out every year as long as the company makes so much. All employees share like 1% of the profit or some such.
Medical/Dental/Vision, FMLA, Short and Long Term disability, 401k - plus we can buy company stock every pay period.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
I'm a GS13
I work on and handle HAZMAT for F-22's and the F-35.
Military/Government
100k/year
Salary/Pay raise every year (upon review)
OT, holiday

Dental, health, vision, life, short/long term disability, government retirement.

It's a great job, only down side to it... I work graves. 9:30pm to 7am. I do get every Friday off, so a 3 day weekend every week.

My wife does financing for charter schools
$12/hr
Finance/Educational
Not entirely sure what all her details are, but her and her step-dad also have a house flipping business on the side.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I manually masturbate farm animals for artificial insemination.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Myjobis a shitty wage slave in the wonderfully exciting world of government IT contracting.

Myprofessionis an ESL teacher. I'm doing a masters program now and I'll most likely be going abroad (again) to work in 2013.

Jefferson_sl

shitlord
I am a retail manager by trade.

I have experience in gas stations and convenience stores (without gas) but the greatest job I had was when I managed a used game store and competed with GameStop.
I helped open a number of stores, our prices were good and we gave a better trade in than GameStop, I would usually introduce the company to the community by telling customers what their trade in price would be, asking them to select a game and sending them to GameStop before they completed their transaction. Every single time they would return with their stack of games with he same predictable results I gave a higer trade in value and the game they wanted to buy cost less. GameStop eventually won out in the end as they bought our company and made us get rid of NES, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, N64 and PSone games. Above all else N64 and PSone were our bread and butter as they were cheap and traded frequently, the same customer often buying back their own games repeatedly and trading them when they needed more money for the latest in next gen, GameStop is to this day the only job I have ever walked out on and I did not even consider giving notice an option though I usually give a month to two months notice when leaving a job; I find everything about the company reprehensible.

When I ran that game store I hired an 18 year old kid that kept calling me sir, I called him Anthony for a month before he finally informed me that it wasn't his name, his correct name being on the rather large name tag I had made for him swinging from a lanyard around his neck. I laughed my ass off for about a year about that.
He introduced me to FOHSS and I made him a manager.
He is more likely to call me asshole than sir now and I prefer it that way.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Heh, I worked for Gamestop for 8 years(mid 90s to early 2000s, First Software Etc, then Babbages, then Gamestop). Started as a part time job in highschool and kept the part time job through college, then became an assistant manager, manager, area manager, and district manager by the time I quit.

Pay was total shit back then. As a manager I started at like 22K(this was around 1999) and when I quit as a District Manager in 2004 I was still only making 38K.

I have a degree in Computer Science, minor in Mathematics from Mizzou, but I hate it. Hate, hate, hate it. I figured out I hated it around my Junior year of college, but at that point I didn't want to start over on another degree, I just wanted to get done because I pretty much new I wanted to go into sales after school and I didn't really need any particular degree for that. I enjoy working with people and while I love computers and gaming, I can't stand working all day long with little or no human interaction, it just bores me to tears. So now I'm an insurance agent. I actually work for my father who has been an insurance agent for over 30 years, and I'll be taking over his agency when he retires in about 5 years.

Right now the pay isn't the greatest(50K before bonuses, which can some years get me closer to 60K and I wouldnt be making that much if it weren't my father that was paying me), but that should instantly triple the day I take over my fathers agency. Of course, I'll also have many added expenses of paying a secretary, office rent, etc, but I'm looking forward to it. I do miss the managerial aspect of Gamestop, hiring my own staff & managers, and I look forward to being able to do that again while not being in the hell-hole that is retail.

My wife works for Bank of America and she's a branch assistant manager. She came from a retail background as well, she was a manager for Old Navy, Gymboree, and Dillards. She pretty much doesn't want to move up, as it is the managers that get fired and transferred regularly. She makes $22 an hour, and also has all the health benefits for us since I am self employed, so she's planning on staying there as long as she can.

So yeah, we're pretty much the axis of evil, lol. Everyone hates BoA and Gamestop, and Insurance companies.

iannis

Musty Nester
When I ran that game store I hired an 18 year old kid that kept calling me sir, I called him Anthony for a month before he finally informed me that it wasn't his name, his correct name being on the rather large name tag I had made for him swinging from a lanyard around his neck. I laughed my ass off for about a year about that.

He is more likely to call me asshole than sir now and I prefer it that way.
God, I'm glad I'm not the only person that does this. I don't do hires/fires but I am responsible for the oversight of subordinates -- usually young women. Over time I've come up with a rule -- if I get a hold of one that is overly respectful I'll start calling them by the wrong name. I've only had to do it a few times, and it REALLY fucked with one little girl. lol. But the others caught on after a while and realized what I was telling them.

It's just amusing.

Jefferson_sl

shitlord
God, I'm glad I'm not the only person that does this. I don't do hires/fires but I am responsible for the oversight of subordinates -- usually young women. Over time I've come up with a rule -- if I get a hold of one that is overly respectful I'll start calling them by the wrong name. I've only had to do it a few times, and it REALLY fucked with one little girl. lol. But the others caught on after a while and realized what I was telling them.

It's just amusing.
Lol, I didn't do it on purpose. I have a great difficulty remembering names, and I had an employee named Anthony prior to this and the new persons name also began with an A. I have no issue with a respectful tone, he was nervous when I interviewed him because he had only come in to get an application and was wearing flip-flops and a tee shirt and was not expecting a spot interview. My district manager was not impressed and told me to hire him only if I had no other applicants but he was a complete tool that nobody respected. I got the best assistant manager I have ever had by hiring him and I sent him on to a store that had fallen into utter chaos and he brought it back into line.... more or less. I had a very real fear anytime I visited his store that I would run into a certain employee with a Fedor like quality, and the door to the back room was his spoiler alert.

another example of this in my life;
I would live in fear while in a long distance relationship with the woman who would become my wife, I would forget her name or supplant it with that of her friend whom she was traveling with the weekend we met. I went to romantic comedy lengths during those conversations and dates to hide this twist of the mind that would kill any chance I would have of marrying her if it were discovered. How absurd is it that a man will drive 1200 miles every other weekend for a year and he, on occasion, can not even recall the name of the object of his obsession?

Gulliver_sl

shitlord
Where do you work?

I am the owner/operator of RB Logging and of RB Hauling.

I am a logger by trade. I also haul dirt and asphalt.

What field/industry?

forestry and construction

Wages?

I pulled in about 250k this year. Times have been hard since the economy went to hell around here.

Bonuses/SEP?

I get to ride around and get paid for it?

Benefits?

My family and I get to eat every night in a house I own?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'm a research scientist focusing on education and disability. I'm young (30 this year), make a salary in the high 50s, with full benefits and a pension. My best job perk is being able to dress casually every day (I'm currently at my desk in jeans and a Gwar t-shirt), and I telework one day a week.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Wages?

I pulled in about 250k this year. Times have been hard since the economy went to hell around here.

Bonuses/SEP?

I get to ride around and get paid for it?

Benefits?

My family and I get to eat every night in a house I own?
Are you paying for your family's healthcare and all the other typical benefits to a salaried job? Otherwise, 250k during "tough times" looks kinda assholish.

As for me, I'm a test engineer in the MEMS industry. I write test code to make sure produced modules meet customer specifications for performance. I make 72k a year and my best job perk is the out of pocket maximum for any health care costs is $400/year. It might be fair for people to specify where they work, geographically. I live in Ithaca, NY, and I know I'd need bump to almost 110k just to break even in San Diego.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Good point. I'm in Atlanta, with a suburban COL lower than just about any other major metro area in the country. I'd need to make double my current salary just to scrape by in Cali.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Where do you work?
Large Enterprise Data Warehouse Vendor

Big Data Enterprise Architect

What field/industry?
IT Professional Services

Wages?
130k in Saint Louis (Low cost of living)

Bonuses/SEP?
16k target based on performance and hours

Benefits?
Full Health,vision,dental,Roth 401k etc.

Life is pretty good now, the travel can be a pain but its about 40% of weekdays. Weekends are 100% mine including making sure I get home Friday nights. Lots of the perks are ok to, savings in food costs and expensed home office (internet, cell etc).

The job itself is a blast, professional services is the way to go for technologists and being able to work as an individual contributor and still make the bucks is great.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Web Developer, elective health care market. 60k/yr, medical/vision and no retirement.

Vithe

Hardcore Casual
Work for the government as a Windows System Administrator. Decent paying job, too bad the cost of living where I am at is through the roof.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Where do you work?
Small software company

IT manager and Seniore Software Engineer (I wear a lot of hats)

What field/industry?
Software/Payroll

Wages?
100k in Scottsdale (Live in Mesa)

Bonuses/SEP?

Benefits?
Full Health,vision,dental, 401k 5% employer contribution. All benefits paid for.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I worked as an electronics engineer designing circuit boards for the Department of Energy for 10 years before moving back to Montana to take over my family cattle ranch (where I grew up).

Upside to the engineer gig was that I love building things and it was an 8-5 job that paid well and gave me weekends off and there was occasional travel but not too much. Downside was the tons of daily paperwork and bullshit that comes with corporate America and the apathy of working for the government slowly sucks the life out of you.

I can't say exactly what I get paid now, because the ranch takes care of most of my expenses and I just pay myself a little for spending money. If you added it all up it would be a fraction of the 80K I was making as an engineer though.

Downsides to the rancher gig is that it's very time consuming and pretty much 7 days a week. Days are long in the summer but things slow down a lot this time of year. The benefits are kind of intangible but I love working outside every day and not answering to anyone. The job changes a lot depending on what time of year it is and the winter is pretty relaxing most of the time.