What do you do?

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
I'm a GS13
I work on and handle HAZMAT for F-22's and the F-35.
Out of curiosity, what kind of HAZMAT comes out of F-22s and F-35s? Fuel? Munitions? Is it something that gets performed routinely on the planes or is it more of an "incase of emergency" situation?

And to the point of the thread:

I worked for a mid sized European video game developer (5 years), now self employed (1.5 months), still transitioning.

Video game developer, over my five years there I did everything from community support (at the very, very start), programming (first 2.5 years), some art (mostly placeholder, some made into final release), ended as head story/level/mission guy. The company started in the business guy's basement with about four full-time people, last I heard they were around 40, hence the crazy job experience (which is not at all normal).

By the end, I was making about 37k EUR/yr. No making anything at the moment as I work from home on a solo project.

No company specific benefits, but since it was a European country, by law got 20 days paid vacation, cheap healthcare (but it was paid out of my pocket), and paid toward a state pension & unemployement insurance. Also got to do a bunch of travel, some of it on the company's dime. Saw places and met people I never would have. Upside: socially relaxed, casual dress code, good amount of work freedom. Downside: Crunch time sucked, 3-4 months before releases, it'd be about 80-90 hrs/wk until release.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The composites that make it stealthy are prettynasty stuff.

I'm a student(accounting), living on 15k a year give or take. No benefits of any kind besides lots of free time.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
-Where do you work?

Family mechanical construction company that my bro and I own (along with a third minority partner). Grampa started it in the 50's, dad and uncle took over in the late 70's, and starting in the 00's we took over from my dad who retired completely December 2009. About 8 office staff, and in a perfect world around 40-60 plumbers in the field.

-What do you do? (Title/keywords)

I'm a plumber by trade/training, but I haven't touched a pipe wrench in years. Mostly I oversee the day to day administrative stuff, so basically paperwork, and also do estimating, design, shop drawings, O&M manuals and so on. Also do the easy tech support stuff around the office.

-What field/industry?

Mostly multi-unit residential construction (apartments, condos, hotels) but also medium to large commercial (warehouses, offices, strip malls, car dealerships).

-Wages?

We pay ourselves a salary of around 100k a year, otherwise most of our earnings are company profits distributed either through personal bonuses or dividends to holding companies. We haven't really made much money at all 2010-2012, unfortunately, and coupled with two projects that went sideways (had to buy 3 condos on one to get our money out and haven't been able to sell them as yet, the other one the city revoked the building permit and the financing froze a year ago with 400k of outstanding bills) it's not been a fun couple of years. We've got a whack of money on the books that should be paid out to us personally, with all the taxes already remitted, but haven't had the cashflow to do so.

Our guys in the field make anywhere from $18/hr to $45 or so. Journeyman wage is $36/hr right now for a guy fresh out of tradeschool and enough hours to qualify. Starters make 50% of that, second year apprentices make 60% and so on. Our PM's and purchaser make around 80-100k a year, and are basically plumbers brought in from the field.

-Bonuses/SEP?

See above for my own bonuses. For employees, it's done on a case by case basis depending on how well the company is or isn't doing and frankly, whether they deserve it or not. I'm personally not a fan of bonuses if only because it turns in to a giant pain in the ass where people expect them, regardless of their or the company's performance. Basically they become part of people's base renumeration.

-Benefits?

Hourly guys get 9.6% vacation/stat holiday pay added to their checks, so basically 3 weeks vacation and 2 weeks stat holidays. Being in Canada health insurance isn't a big deal, but we do have supplemental health insurance that we pay half the premium for. It's part of an overall benefits package from Merit Contractors, which is kind of an open-shop construction association. Guys get other stuff with it, like tuition rebates and the like. We also tend to have 3-4 company parties a year. Christmas, summer golf tournament, and then other misc. events. When the times were really rolling we flew 20 or so guys out to Victoria to go fishing, golfing, drinking and eating for 3 days one year, and Crown Isle the other. We used to do ski trips as well, but frankly they're a pain in the ass to organize and over half the guys never bothered to ski a run anyways, they just sat in their rooms and played cards and drank.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Fortune 200 software company that is very well known, most people probably use our products.
Senior Software QA Engineer
Software Development
Over 100k/yr + bonus + stock. bonus+stock usually valued around 30kish, depending.
I work solely from home and make my own hours outside of some required meetings with minimal travel. I'm slightly underpaid for what I do, but because I work from home I have very few expenses overall (i.e. I fill up my car maybe once a month). Great benefits, 401k/roth 401k, ESPP w/15% discount, amazing vision/dental far better than anything else i've ever gotten.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
And also a good portion of the chemicals used in maintenance/cleaning etc. I used to maintain munitions in the AF and pretty much everything we used during a maintenance operation was disposed of as some sort of hazmat.

Wintermute_sl

shitlord
Where do you work?
Freelance at different Opera/Theater Companies

What do you do? (Title/keywords)
Costume Technician Stitcher/First Hand. I make or alter the costumes or just do repair work on pre-existing garments they have. I have done some work as a crafts person too which means I do dye work on fabric or make accessories like hats, jewelry, crowns etc. I also just started small side business where I make and sell things like corsets, cosplay, and Renaissance Faire stuff so we'll see where that goes.

What field/industry?
Entertainment

Wages? It changes because I'm freelancing. Wages are generally $20-$30 an hour depending on what you are doing.

Benefits? No great but I do get free tickets to the shows and I actually enjoy Opera so it's a perk and not a punishment.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Owner of a contracting business
take home 200-300k a yr
Have a degree in Finance
I'm 35 have been in construction for 12 yrs, looking to hang up the hardhat in next few years and do something new.

For the folks making six figures, I'm curious how old many of you are.
I've made over six figures every year since I was 23 yrs old, but I can tell you 100k bought me a lot more back in 2002 than it does now

Turkish

Caaaan do
Job:
Network Analyst
Wage:
50k but not nearly what I should be making.
Benefits:
Full health, dental, retirement along with a good amount of vacation and sick pay.

It'll do for now.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I'm a CMS developer at a company that deals solely in convention and visitor's bureau websites. I just started and get 40k/year with medical and vision fully covered and a small monthly for dental. Haven't looked into 401k yet since the company just outgrew its previous setup and is now moving into an actual 401k system. Found out on my first day that the extra benefits are huge discounts on everything travel related which then got a bit larger when I finished my tech recruiter contract and got brought on full time. 2 weeks vacation, 2 weeks sick and 1 week flex with a $2500/year budget for personal education which will be hopefully be going towards Google I/O and then whatever conference that I can find in Europe or New Zealand. I also do freelance 3D visualization projects on the side, although I've been hitting the main job pretty hard since being hired so haven't had much time to pick up any gigs doing that for a while and was basically working for a really low rate just to grab as many high-end portfolio shots as I could. I got a big Redbull project on my portfolio last year so hopefully I can start directing a lot more effort towards that when I'm comfortably not the new guy at work anymore.

Phandy

Golden Squire
Manager, Hedge Fund Administrator based in Canada
90k - Somewhat low considering I'm a CFA + Designated Accountant with 7 years Industry experience, but its well above market for me locally. Have to move to New York or Chicago for anything better.
Bones is strictly based on company performance... and since the Industry has just come climbing back it has ranged from 5% to 30% of salary since 2007.
Benefits are pretty similar to what Eomer posted above. Get 5 weeks vacation.

cosmic_cs_sl

shitlord
I'm a pharmacist and app developer.

I work in a large community hospital.

I bring in about 140k a year but I haven't been working for long - currently 26 y.o.

I don't know much about my health plan, but it's through UnitedHealthcare or something, and I haven't used it yet.

Otherwise, I don't get any cool benefits
frown.png

frown.png

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
Out of curiosity, what kind of HAZMAT comes out of F-22s and F-35s? Fuel? Munitions? Is it something that gets performed routinely on the planes or is it more of an "incase of emergency" situation?
There's a lot of HAZ that goes into those birds. Everything from paint to pure silver. There's over 800 steps just to paint them. Without getting into the classified stuff HAZMAT is used in pretty much every part of the jet and also used throughout it's repair/upgrade and demo process.

The hangar I work in houses 13 birds and has 3 massive rooms that all the HAZMAT is stored in. A few million dollars in HAZMAT alone not including the multi-million dollars of parts stored here as well. Everything from your standard washer to radomes and everything in between.

Some of the HAZMAT here is really nasty stuff. From corrosives to adhesives that make gorilla glue seem like Elmers. As well as HAZ that if mixed wrong the fumes created will make mustard gas a pleasant experience. So basically, I handle everything from your standard house hold rubbing alcohol to fuel to corrosives that'll eat away Titanium.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord

I'm a student(accounting), living on 15k a year give or take. No benefits of any kind besides lots of free time.
The biggest contributers to it's Stealth is the primer/paint they put on it and the membrane they put on it. Called BOOT to make the bird seamless.

Sparko

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm a petroleum technician, the company I work for installs, repairs and maintains fueling devices for retail fuel centers. We are the "fix it all" for gas stations, we repair the dispensers, the fuel monitors, the submersible motors in the ground that pump the fuel and we install and repair point of sale systems for them. I do a lot of in state traveling in my service truck to fuel stations all over the state, so there is a lot of windshield time. There are no trade schools for this profession, I started with this company back in 2000 and it's all been on the job training. There are certifications that you can receive from the different manufacturers of the equipment we work on so that you are authorized to work on their equipment. The benefits are pretty standard, 3 weeks off a year paid to use however you choose, medical/dental and a 401k. I do take my service truck home so my personal vehicles are only driven on the weekends. It's not a bad gig, but at some point I'd like to pursue other opportunities, I work for a small company so the chances for advancement are very limited. The pay isn't terrible, I made over 60k last year not including the bonus of taking my work truck home and them paying for all the gas and maintenance.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Benefits nonexistant, I get health insurance through my university and that's about it. Part of the reason I still go to school after 12yrs is simply because it's the only health care I can afford after what I've been through(and it's not even a great policy to begin with), until the preX conditions come into play, I'm uninsurable otherwise.
I got the prex health insurance recently, painless procedure, apply to regular insurance get rejected, then apply to the Prex condition shit in place already. Took like a month and a half to get everything done, faster if your not a procrastinator like me. Only downside is you HAVE to be uninsured for like 6 months before you can apply. Cheap too, insurance was 575 or so a month while I was still able to get my fathers coverage...The prex is 250/mo now.

*edit*
Student mainly, work shitty delviery job on the side...Make about 10-25/hr depending on days and how busy we are.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Well if there's one thing that this thread has proven to me, it's that the canard about public employees being overpaid is a load of BS. I hadn't realized quite how far my salary had lagged behind for my age. I'm doing pretty well for the geographic area and demographic I'm in, but the pay freeze in Georgia for the last 6 years has really done a number on my income.