What do you do?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
It's all about what's good for you. I have a good buddy that I grew up with who's all into startups and java script mobile app bullshit and he can't fathom why I'm happy making 100k a year in NC when I could go make 300k a year with him in FL. What he doesn't take into consideration is that I hate everything about the area of FL he's in, I hate the whole hipster, open office, startup culture and just plain refuses to see that nothing about what he does would be fulfilling to me.

The funny thing about the government stereotype is that it's not exactly wrong, but there are still some programs doing pretty amazing sht. People think all of the innovation died out with the cold war, a lot of it did, but not all of it. It's just really hard to find out where from the outside and a lot of people (understandably) don't stick it out because they're first gig is the stereotypical bureaucratic mess.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Kuriin Kuriin making me feel like the laziest fucking RN in the world right now. Holy shit.

Dawg, please don't think that, haha. It's the nurses who go from nursing school straight into a primary clinic. That is lazy. I was originally going to work in two ERs at the same time but that's a little too much for me, so that's why I decided to work per diem in primary clinic/urgent care while working in the ER. Easy job to a hard job, lol.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It's amazing how a company can give someone great power in a company and never check up on them. Spent a good portion of yesterday looking at weld x-rays. Apparently a company I've worked with before had an in house welding coordinator type guy who would schedule all the testing from an outside company - which is normal. The x-rays would come back and apparently he would order some stuff to be redone for flunking the x-ray. After several years they found out he had a kickback from the testing company because they would get paid to come retest/do another x-ray after it was redone. So he would just say "Ooops this didn't pass redo it". The worst part is the company would eventually fire a welder if he flunked so many test.

I looked at x-rays that were flagged flunked by him to see if they appeared bad. I'm not qualified but x-rays that are flagged reweld normally stand out as bad. I came up with about 50/50. 50% looked like they needed to rewelded and 50% appeared OK.

I smell a lawsuit once this gets out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Borzak Borzak

I can't remember if these are on our linecard (think we sell some other brands instead), but we've sold these when asked. Normally I just do actuators; if they need to be mated to valves we have larger shops that will do the mounting and then ship (I don't have an overhead crane in my shop so I can't really do the large stuff easily, so we don't usually bother unless it's an emergency/rush). I'll do assembly and wiring, custom if needed, and then ship off the finished actuator either directly to the customer or to one of our shops with the cranes.

I did setup an actuator on one of these for a local pipeline last year on short notice; technically it was a snoozefest setting the limits but not having an overhead crane was the worst part. Even a 6" starts getting pretty heavy; I don't remember how large this one was. I guess if more customers locally needed mounting/setup within 1-2 days we'd invest in cranes in every shop, but that doesn't seem to be a huge issue for us.

A lot of the power plants will do the valving and then mount the actuators themselves, so /shrug. The customers I end up doing the most startups for are water/wastewater plants.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
^That's pretty cool. I never get to work with anything that moves. I can't be trusted with it apparently.

I mentioned it a while back but apparently the industry had a meeting and now all job postings include the requirement "BS OR equivalent industry experience ". Which in the past I think that was norma but now they are advertising it. I don't know if they suddenly decided that's what they need or demand is increased and they are spreading a larger net.