What do you do?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Good friend went back and hot his masters in nursing or nurse administration not sure what the actual degree was. Before that he worked full time and sent his wife back to school to get become a nurse practioner. Then she went to work full time and he went got his masters. I kept telling him when she became a nurse practioner she was going to find a Dr. and divorce him.

Did that with 2 kids and a house. Now she works part time at a university as their nurse or whatever.

I guess if you have two in demand degrees it helps.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Good friend went back and hot his masters in nursing or nurse administration not sure what the actual degree was. Before that he worked full time and sent his wife back to school to get become a nurse practioner. Then she went to work full time and he went got his masters. I kept telling him when she became a nurse practioner she was going to find a Dr. and divorce him.

Did that with 2 kids and a house. Now she works part time at a university as their nurse or whatever.

I guess if you have two in demand degrees it helps.
My wife is a NICU Nurse Practitioner and I work in IT. It's a damn good life. She is looking into starting her PHD sooner rather than later because her new job here in NC is almost the same pay as her job was in CA but about 1/4 the stress. Her new hospital is like the most basic of NICU's and she was previously in San Diego where she would helo or fixed wing out to places and bring high risk babies in and she had to go on those flights.

I am doing my bachelor's while sitting at work because I am a purely reactive force here.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Getting a network engineer job without professional experience and just a CCNA is proving difficult in the Portland metro area. I've extended my job search to the entire state of WA, Northern OR, and some of ID. I'll get something, but in the mean time I was considering applying to be an Apple at home advisor.

Anyone have any thoughts on the job or know anyone? My experience is the last 8 years in a call center and I'm a techie nerd so I know I'd be a good fit, but I loathe getting back into a call center environment. But severance is running out and gotta pay the bills.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Getting a network engineer job without professional experience and just a CCNA is proving difficult in the Portland metro area. I've extended my job search to the entire state of WA, Northern OR, and some of ID. I'll get something, but in the mean time I was considering applying to be an Apple at home advisor.

Anyone have any thoughts on the job or know anyone? My experience is the last 8 years in a call center and I'm a techie nerd so I know I'd be a good fit, but I loathe getting back into a call center environment. But severance is running out and gotta pay the bills.
Are you not getting callbacks or getting callbacks and interviews but not hired?

Crone

I think I get where you're headed with that and its a little of both. Of course everyone applies for way more jobs than they ever get calls but I haven't received very many calls at all. It's a shitty situation in this area because everyone is hiring contract workers or maybe that's normal for IT? Not used to it.

Example. I got an email alert one day for 10 new jobs posted matching ccna search criteria. I look? 6 are the exact same job and description but posted from 6 different staffing agencies.

I don't have a bachelor's degree at all and thats hurting me a lot I feel. The couple calls I have gotten things go well, I get told I'll be calling you back and then nothing. Follow up and get told another couple days, and nothing. Follow up on LinkedIn and email. Nothing. The 2 calls I did have that I thought would turn into something both went like this. Just the nature of the game I guess.

Crone

I have, I just figured with so many staffing agencies in the area that it wasn't gonna get better with them. The one I had relations with due to her contacting me about a job went mia very similar to the job prospects I talked about above. The job she had I didn't work out for, but said hey contact me before applying to places I probably know people there and can talk to them for you. Said hey great!

I did just that on a job. She said she knew people at this place and would get in touch. Never heard back anything at all. Followed up and still got no response. I swear I'm not being rude and pissing these people off!

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I have, I just figured with so many staffing agencies in the area that it wasn't gonna get better with them. The one I had relations with due to her contacting me about a job went mia very similar to the job prospects I talked about above. The job she had I didn't work out for, but said hey contact me before applying to places I probably know people there and can talk to them for you. Said hey great!

I did just that on a job. She said she knew people at this place and would get in touch. Never heard back anything at all. Followed up and still got no response. I swear I'm not being rude and pissing these people off!
I could go on at length, but this sounds almost exactly what I've gone through with staffing and it may be the lack of a degree. In my experience these staffing places don't really have a clue what is needed for the jobs they fill (in a practical,'qualified to make judgement calls'kinda way) so they literally get a list of qualifiers from potential employers and they stick to it. You could very well be able to do the jobs, but they won't know that and they don't want to staff someone who then nosedives on the job and looks like an idiot. If you have the qualifications on paper and you end up being a moron, they can at least point to your qualifications on paper and argue that it's not their fault. If you don't have the qualifications on paper, they're afraid Company X will be pissed that they sent someone who wasn't qualified and they won't be able to defend themselves (and might lose a contract).

But these places also FUCKING LOVE to pad the number of 'interested applicants' that they can brag about getting. Even the people who don't qualify, they can use them to pad how awesome they look to companies ("Were having a little trouble finding people who satisfy your particular standards, but we've had 2,300 people apply! That's way more than our competition can do!")

Just my 2 cents though

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had luck with one agency, the rest were weird - and don't be fooled, they ain't your friends. They just want to make a buck, although seems foolish of them to stop talking to you.

So bros, I did get that offer today. I'm not sure what I should do yet, got til Wednesday to give a decision.

Right now I make $79k a year - that's something like $75k base + $4k annual bonus. 3-6% annual raises. Great benefits (1 month parental paid leave, etc.).

This offer comes in at $85k base + 10% annual bonus ($8.5k) = 93.5k. They also offer $20k in company stock (25% vested after 1 year, then 6.25% quarterly), benefits are comparable but I need to review it, unlimited vacation, etc.

In addition to the salary bump and everything, I'm looking at a little bit of a worse commute - but I can also take the subway in (MBTA LOL) everyday and save some gas/headaches.

I do not know what to do..

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Never treat bonuses as part of base salary. The company could have a "bad year" and not pay them out at any given time. It's a benefit to consider but don't treat it as a guarantee.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Never treat bonuses as part of base salary. The company could have a "bad year" and not pay them out at any given time. It's a benefit to consider but don't treat it as a guarantee.
Oh I don't, I just found this out here when we got sacked a bit on our bonus

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Also how much should I value stock in this deal?

The company is doing well and will continue to do well, if I had to guess.

Vinen

God is dead
I had luck with one agency, the rest were weird - and don't be fooled, they ain't your friends. They just want to make a buck, although seems foolish of them to stop talking to you.

So bros, I did get that offer today. I'm not sure what I should do yet, got til Wednesday to give a decision.

Right now I make $79k a year - that's something like $75k base + $4k annual bonus. 3-6% annual raises. Great benefits (1 month parental paid leave, etc.).

This offer comes in at $85k base + 10% annual bonus ($8.5k) = 93.5k. They also offer $20k in company stock (25% vested after 1 year, then 6.25% quarterly), benefits are comparable but I need to review it, unlimited vacation, etc.

In addition to the salary bump and everything, I'm looking at a little bit of a worse commute - but I can also take the subway in (MBTA LOL) everyday and save some gas/headaches.

I do not know what to do..
Ouch. Actually expected them to offer more.
That Stock is more or less negligible. You should ask if they do grants based on performance each year as well.

They have been pretty static this year but grew a lot in the past. It could equal more.. but who knows.

Kendall Square right?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ouch. Actually expected them to offer more.
That Stock is more or less negligible. You should ask if they do grants based on performance each year as well.

They have been pretty static this year but grew a lot in the past. It could equal more.. but who knows.

Kendall Square right?
I did expect a little more, but it's not wildly off or anything. Thinking about countering at $90k and see what happens.

Yeah Kendall Square.

Vinen

God is dead
Don't bonuses get taxed at a higher rate than salary as well?
No. They are just taxed at maximum to make sure you don't owe come tax time.

It will be returned based on what your final income taxes are at the end of the year.