What do you do?

Tonic_sl

shitlord
Where do you work?- I work for a fire department in a mid sized city in New England.

What do you do? (Title/keywords)
- Emergency Dispatcher aka I sit on my computer all night playing games until someone calls 911.

What field/industry?Governmental work

Wages?Made 60k last year with 12k of it overtime (pre-taxes). The dispatchers that have been around for 10+ years all made over 90k.

Bonuses/SEP?None, other than playing games at work between calls.

Benefits?On my wife's health (it's cheaper and significantly better - we just had a kid and every penny of it was covered), have retirement and the usual shenanigans.

I am currently finishing my MS in Operations and Project Management, and knee deep in flooding my network with my resume. Got a few hits at local companies and some in Boston. Have a couple ins working at Hubspot, and they passed my resume along this week for a position I would do very well in, so we'll see what happens with that.

Silence_sl

shitlord
became a landlord early this year on a small stack of cheap properties and it's working out well. Not serious $ mind you, but a decent padding to my current monthly take, and that's all I want out of it; not looking into this avenue of work other than supplemental income. I can't really expand the take from my main line of work without hiring people and I'm not willing to take that route since I want to move on to something else (and I might be a PHB).
Closing on my 6th rental property now, and I went deep into getting blood from a turnip on this one; the bank won't give me another dollar for another shingle after this. All said and done, and I can make MAYBE 250k after 10 years on this stuff.

That's pretty small coin, all told. Not bad coin, but small coin nonetheless.

I looked at hiring more people, but I need to spend serious $ to do this, and there's no 1:1 of profitability there.

Making actual money is a tremendous pain in the nuts, and takes a LONG time to do so.

Anyone want to buy a set of steak knives?

Rush

Silver Knight of the Realm
Where do you work?
At a high school.

Physical Educator, Head Football Coach, Head Wrestling Coach, Assistant Track Coach

What field/industry?
Education

Wages?
~42k a year with my coaching stipends

Bonuses/SEP?
Other than the coaching, none.

Benefits?
Health, Eye, Dental. TRS, which won't be there in 30 years when I can retire.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
Where do you work?
At a high school.

Physical Educator, Head Football Coach, Head Wrestling Coach, Assistant Track Coach

What field/industry?
Education

Wages?
~42k a year with my coaching stipends

Bonuses/SEP?
Other than the coaching, none.

Benefits?
Health, Eye, Dental. TRS, which won't be there in 30 years when I can retire.
I've coached for 3 years. What are you guys running for an O for football? We run a modified Chip Kelly spread, he was at UNH still when we adopted it, so he came down and helped to implement it. Works pretty well thus far.

Rush

Silver Knight of the Realm
I've coached for 3 years. What are you guys running for an O for football? We run a modified Chip Kelly spread, he was at UNH still when we adopted it, so he came down and helped to implement it. Works pretty well thus far.
Running Zone, Midline, Veer, Counter reads from the spread. We add or remove based on our player understanding. Keep the pass game simple, numbered route trees, etc.
Basic Run Call: 31 Flame, that is trips left, zone left
Basic Pass Call: 13 Razor 7028, trips right, slide pro right with sprint out, backside post, frontside: speed out, deep out, vert,

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Where do you work? -In a dungeon in the Virginia countryside

What do you do? (Title/keywords) - Associate Systems Analyst

What field/industry? Payment industry

Wages? Made 72k last year

Bonuses/SEP? 20% swing shift diff

Benefits? 401k matching(2 to 1 on the first 3%), 6% of each paycheck(includes shift diff and any OT) + ~1% into a retirement fund entirely funded by the company, decent health plan(costs 80 bucks a month for me and my daughter)

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Where do you work?

The greater Jacksonville area

Roofer (My shirt says "Tile Roof Expert and Waterproofer"), also waterproof exterior decks for either beneath tile/sleeper decks or a synthetic texture that is troweled on. I like doing the decks, less chance of injury.

What field/industry?

Construction and Maintenance, I suppose.

Wages?

14/hr

Bonuses/SEP?

Occasional yearly bonuses

Benefits?

None. Used to get PTO, but they took it away when they hired more people.

I recently saw I had a notification from someone about nursing. I was able to read one line before my wife's iphone crapped out. When I was able to get to a pc the message was gone but I do not remember who sent it. There is no trace of the message in my inbox. So if you know who you are please send me another message. I do not want anyone to think I was ignoring them.

Forin

I recently saw I had a notification from someone about nursing. I was able to read one line before my wife's iphone crapped out. When I was able to get to a pc the message was gone but I do not remember who sent it. There is no trace of the message in my inbox. So if you know who you are please send me another message. I do not want anyone to think I was ignoring them.

Forin

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
No. It's administrative, rather than research. The perks aren't quite as nice (specifically vacation accrual). However, it's a much better title and potentially a sizable pay bump at the cost of having to fight a little more traffic and go into work earlier.

I have a CV, so it's just a matter of writing a letter and emailing it in. I happen to have several references in that very department, so I suspect I might have a little bit of an inside track if it turns out to be worth pursuing.
I'd just about written this one off, but this morning I received an email inviting me to come and interview this Thursday with the search committee (yeah, it's the kind of job where a group of folks is tasked with finding the right candidate). I know all three individuals who will be interviewing me, and actually two of them served on my thesis committee in graduate school. The third was a professor who taught two of my classes.

I'm not really sure what, if anything, I should do to prepare. I guess just go in ready to discuss my CV, talk about my thoughts on the various job duties listed in the announcement, and hope I can be charming.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Just accepted a full time on site position today after doing work at my own office contract work for a long time.

Project management position with a steel fabricator that does steel fabrication and on site erection as well as mechanical installation in the petro-chemical industry. Not a bad job for someone with a GED, which is all they know I have. I do have a BS/MS in a totally unrelated field that I don't even put on my resume.

Basicallly involves overseeing a project from start to finish including field and shop work as well as doing the design and drafting for it.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
Just accepted a full time on site position today after doing work at my own office contract work for a long time.

Project management position with a steel fabricator that does steel fabrication and on site erection as well as mechanical installation in the petro-chemical industry. Not a bad job for someone with a GED, which is all they know I have. I do have a BS/MS in a totally unrelated field that I don't even put on my resume.

Basicallly involves overseeing a project from start to finish including field and shop work as well as doing the design and drafting for it.
If you ever want to get your PMP certifications, be sure to document EVERYTHING you're doing as a PM, and make sure your boss will vouch for you when it comes to all that stuff. Starting now while you're just getting into the position will help tremendously.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Thanks for the advice but I'm not moving into it just now. I have a background in it and have been doing it on a contract basis for a long time. I owned my own company for years and sold off majority ownership 2 years ago.

There won't be any need for any of that in my line of work. I've been doing it now for 20+ years and everyone I know that is a "project manager" just worked up thru the ranks,a bout 1/2 of them from the shop. Everything is quick turnaround related. A fire in a refinery on Tuesday, Tuesday afternoon I'm out there taking measurements, drawing it Tuesday night, ordering steel Wed. morning and having it fabbed Wed. afternoon and we erect it on Thursday.

Basically I guess I'm saying that would carry zero weight in our industry. They're more interested in your work experience and knowledge of everything involved including field and shop work.

In our area it's actually a pretty good job - just below owner of the company, but I know lots of people that started off where I did 15-20 years ago who turned down the job just because they would have to leave the office. A good friend of mine literally would take 1/2 the pay to stay in the office all day every day rather than to make a trip to the field once a week or month, and he has built his "career" around that. Plus I get a take home work truck.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Interviewed for over an hour today. It was very casual, but I felt like it went quite well. One of the interviewees actually asked me as we were leaving when I would need to give notice at my current job.

It does sound like a great deal more responsibility and a lot of cat herding, so the offer will need to be pretty good to make me switch. Should know end of next week sometime.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
What do you do?
IT admin and some finance things
Got more of the finance stuff now that we've switched to MS Dynamics NAV, so the other dude can do more financial planning & controlling. Basically I am the asshole that does the footwork.

Pay is slightly less sucky but still 70% of what you make in normal companies.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
So quick question to the other professionals out there. How do you stay satisfied with a position? I have latched on to a hot technology and have people reaching out to me from all over, it makes it hard to feel happy about a current position no matter how good when there re people offering me more! I want to stick around and not hop jobs every 6 months but goddamn is this giving me grass is greener problems when the grass is really greener($$$) out there.

I know this will come off as braggy but it is an honest quesiton, how many short (6mo) hops is too many?

For context I went from (each of these is a new company, advancement within a company seems to be dead in the US):

Lead Software Engineer
Senior Big Data Engineer - Architecture Group
Big Data Architect - Big Data CoE
And now getting offers like Senior Solution Architect -Big Data etc.

All in the last 1-2 years.

How much movement is too much?