What do you do?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I feel like I'm working for the government at this new place, I haven't even started my first day and I've had to take multiple personality tests/background checks/drug testing and about 15 consent waivers/benefits package/harassment things. Hopefully all that bureaucracy bullshit stops when I start working otherwise, I'm not gonna stick around long.
I don't know about the personality tests but everything else is pretty much par for the course.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Doesn't sound like par for the course to be a car mechanic though.

Everything was expensed, it's just vastly different than Emc.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I don't know about the personality tests but everything else is pretty much par for the course.
Yeah, auto body world is different. It's usually go in talk to the manager/owner and shake hands and agree to a start date, then you just show up and work.

I will get direct deposit though, been about ten years since I had that.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I work in a freight brokerage. Been doing it for three months, on pace to make about 50k. I worked in finance before this and hated it, this is way more my speed. You get autopromoted when you hit certain benchmarks which I am on pace to do by the end of the year, which should put me in line to make 60k or so next year.

I want to get either an MBA or a procurement certification and work towards being a procurement director. That or stay here and move into management, as I really like my employer and the people there and I'm way exceeding expectations. I love negotiation(not sales, negotiation), and love tinkering with processes.

It's not perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than where I was a year ago.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
There are some wacky IRS rules for expensing meals and entertainment. Meals are expensed at 50%. So a $200 meal will only reduce taxable income by $100.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Well a few years back (like in the 70's) it was a 100% reduction. But there were too many businesses abusing that with crazy steak and martini lunches so they cut it back to 50%. The things you need to know to pass the CPA exam...

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Anyone take a job and then immediately take another? I feel like a total ass, but I got another job offer 1.5 months after taking my current job, and it's 21.5k more salary with unlimited fuel for my vehicles. The only downside is the commute is about 30 minutes longer each direction, but the perks more than pay for that.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I did. It was almost double pay increase at the time. My PM was super pissed but once she calmed down a bit and asked me how much it was for, she understood.

Vinen

God is dead
Yeah I did. It was almost double pay increase at the time. My PM was super pissed but once she calmed down a bit and asked me how much it was for, she understood.
Shortest I did was 4 months after being brought into a company (Read: I didn't interview).

Company announced they were for sale the second day I was there... I decided to go play Software Developer for a year and took a job in NH making a couple grand more + not having to play MA taxes.

The guy is still pissed at me (mainly because had I went to him he could have laid me off instead...)

At my longest stint at a job now... 5 years 7 months. Longer then all my prior jobs combined.. unnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng. Then again I went from 68K to ~250K in these 6 years... Joining a startup... best move ever.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Started my new job today, I knew it was close to the home but I forgot how close. It's .7 miles from the house or according to Google a 4 minute bike ride. It's gonna be a rough commute.

Sad part is that I won't have too much time to lurk Rerolled, womp womp.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I can't really troll rerolled at the new place either, the cubes are too open. My commute is between 1 and 2 hours one way thought
frown.png

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I don't understand why tech companies pile into the densest and most expensive areas. Wouldn't it be just as easy to do it anywhere with a good connection? Save your employees 50k a year in living expenses and 500 hours a year in commute.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't understand why tech companies pile into the densest and most expensive areas. Wouldn't it be just as easy to do it anywhere with a good connection? Save your employees 50k a year in living expenses and 500 hours a year in commute.
I think there are a few reasons. One is a self fulfilling one where tech giants started in Seattle/SF so now all the top tech talent is there. Want a competent staff? You need to be a in a tech hub or else you'll get just run-of-the-mill developers. The next is that they're trying to attract a younger crowd. When someone leaves college they're not thinking about commute times, cost of land and cost of housing. They're thinking about the lifestyle of the city they're moving in. The lifestyle of a Seattle or SF is more appealing than that of Nebraska.