What do you do?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not trying to discourage you. But consider that maybe you don't need a degree.

I am getting one sure, because it was paid for and I intend to be your fucking boss so stop slouching. But consider that maybe your time might be better spent targeting specifically what you want to do. You want to do the CCIE track? Focus on that. You want to do security? Focus on Sec+, CCNA Sec, and learn python. There are better ways than school.

I say this as a 36 year old finishing up an MS I don't even really want anymore, forced to take boring as fuck classes, most of which I am waaay overqualified to be in, instead of focusing on getting the credentials Ireallywant and learning the skills Ireallywant. The degree will pay for itself, statistically. But there are other ways to do it, it's worth thinking about before you commit yourself.
We'll see what happens. I feel lack of a degree was a big reason that it took so long to get a job in Networking. My contract is up in a year, and by then, if I stick to the course schedule they laid out for me, I'll have an A+ (practically useless, I know) and Sec+. With the Sec+ I can maybe start looking into some government jobs, as I know they require that.

But that's why I do think this degree will be helpful all along the way and not just after I'm done and have a piece of paper that says I have a BS. As I go, to pass the Cert classes, I have to actually get the Cert. The A+ and Sec+ are just the first 2 I'll be getting. I'll come away with a lot more CompTia certs like Linux+, Project+, etc, CCNA-Security, and also java and python experience.

As I complete stuff I'll for sure be updating my resume/LinkedIn and be ready to jump when I get a full time offer that's better than what I'm in now.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I've gotten used to it now. Dealt with many VP/SVP of Fortune 500 companies.
I love/hate dealing with high ups in DoD/government. Always a crap shoot. Some SES/general officers are great and trust a contractor (me). Others treat my kind like second class citizens and will refuse to even allow us in their presence. My government client is the ultra-sterotypical fed. Works 5ish hours a day and memos all responsibility off to me. It's nice or sucks depending who is sitting at the table with me

Vinen

God is dead
I love/hate dealing with high ups in DoD/government. Always a crap shoot. Some SES/general officers are great and trust a contractor (me). Others treat my kind like second class citizens and will refuse to even allow us in their presence. My government client is the ultra-sterotypical fed. Works 5ish hours a day and memos all responsibility off to me. It's nice or sucks depending who is sitting at the table with me
Nice.
I usually just get bitched out for product issues
biggrin.png

The final tier of support for my product is Vinen going on-site.

//Want an Israeli customer to have an issue again. Tel-aviv is awesome.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Nice.
I usually just get bitched out for product issues
biggrin.png

The final tier of support for my product is Vinen going on-site.

//Want an Israeli customer to have an issue again. Tel-aviv is awesome.
How was your trip btw? You never followed up in the Travel forum. How utterly ridiculous does the whole Far Left genocide/apartheid narrative sound now?

I'll actually be going in August, it's been 20 years since I've visited.

Vinen

God is dead
How was your trip btw? You never followed up in the Travel forum. How utterly ridiculous does the whole Far Left genocide/apartheid narrative sound now?

I'll actually be going in August, it's been 20 years since I've visited.
Ended up just getting to see Jerusalem for day. Rest was spent in RANANANANANANANAN or whatever the towns name is.

I'd rate it as Chicago level safety .

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
We'll see what happens. I feel lack of a degree was a big reason that it took so long to get a job in Networking. My contract is up in a year, and by then, if I stick to the course schedule they laid out for me, I'll have an A+ (practically useless, I know) and Sec+. With the Sec+ I can maybe start looking into some government jobs, as I know they require that.

But that's why I do think this degree will be helpful all along the way and not just after I'm done and have a piece of paper that says I have a BS. As I go, to pass the Cert classes, I have to actually get the Cert. The A+ and Sec+ are just the first 2 I'll be getting. I'll come away with a lot more CompTia certs like Linux+, Project+, etc, CCNA-Security, and also java and python experience.

As I complete stuff I'll for sure be updating my resume/LinkedIn and be ready to jump when I get a full time offer that's better than what I'm in now.
I work in the govt where a clearance is the first and biggest hurdle so my experience may not translate to the civilian world 100%, but I really doubt it was the degree. If anything it was the experience or cert level. Of all the hiring I have ever done for technical work, lack of a degree has never been a factor.

All those CompTIA certs, they are nice milestones if that is what you want to do. But I don't think they are all worthwhile. Like, A+ is some rudimentary shit that you probably already know. Net+ last time I looked at it was on about the same level.

It's not a bad thing getting a degree, can't hurt. I'd just hate to see you bury yourself in debt and school commitments if it's not helping you professionally do what you want to do.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
A consultancy I freelance for on the side just offered me a part-time gig for 2 years at an extremely competitive rate. God only knows what they're charging their own client for my time.

It's a little intimidating to sign up for 2 years of work in a single go, but I'm gonna take it. It's another 30% per year for me, and the work is super easy. I already work at home, and this is more stuff I can do from my couch.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
A consultancy I freelance for on the side just offered me a part-time gig for 2 years at an extremely competitive rate. God only knows what they're charging their own client for my time.

It's a little intimidating to sign up for 2 years of work in a single go, but I'm gonna take it. It's another 30% per year for me, and the work is super easy. I already work at home, and this is more stuff I can do from my couch.
Why is signing up for 2 years of work in a single go intimidating? I'm doing the same thing right now (I'm a consultant for a company I used to work for, through TEKSystems) and right now my contract is just "indefinite". I'd jump at a 2 year deal without hesitation because I'm making almost double what I was as a salaried employee.

Though I need to have a conversation with my boss about them hiring me directly through an LLC I just created. Would save them a few dollars per hour that is getting paid to TEK instead of me and I could charge more than I'm getting from TEK as well.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Because it's a side gig, I guess. I have a full-time career elsewhere, this is just something I did on the side for rainy day money, but it's turning into a sizable chunk of my income.

I'm looking at doing the LLC thing as well, but I don't know if it'll work in this case. I'll be getting a W-2 instead of a 1099 because of the agreement they made with their own client. I suspect this is a large reason why they didn't haggle over my rate. It was never stated explicitly, but I could easily scuttle the entire contract if I chose not to play ball. I was the one sitting in their client's boardroom pitching the work.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Because it's a side gig, I guess. I have a full-time career elsewhere, this is just something I did on the side for rainy day money, but it's turning into a sizable chunk of my income.

I'm looking at doing the LLC thing as well, but I don't know if it'll work in this case. I'll be getting a W-2 instead of a 1099 because of the agreement they made with their own client. I suspect this is a large reason why they didn't haggle over my rate. It was never stated explicitly, but I could easily scuttle the entire contract if I chose not to play ball. I was the one sitting in their client's boardroom pitching the work.
That's even better.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
That's even better.
They basically took my freelance rate, which I arrived at by the old adage of "decide what you want to make, and triple it" and are paying me that as a part-time salary. I'm perfectly fine with them taking out taxes, but it'll probably impact my write offs next year. Having some 1099s to write off mileage etc. was always nice.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Probably as much as indicated in what he wrote.

This reminds me of the time I had to beat my wife because she had a habit of saying "really?" After I would share some preference, such as liking T Swift. I felt it was a terrible Microaggression indicating disgust for my position.