What do you do?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I guess Monday I'm walking away from a job that puts me in probably the top 5% here with great benefits to find a job that pays probably 1/10th what this one does becuase I can't stand living in the city any longer.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I can understand this attitude for IP reasons, but were they just dicks about it? I have never understood a company getting mad at someone for leaving to a better paying position. Sure they probably invested time into you, but did they counter or even try to keep you? You have to figure in turnover and retraining or increasing salaries in your workforce....
Specific circumstances aside, as a business owner I can totally understand why a company wouldn't want to keep someone around after notice has been given. It doesn't necessarily have to be because the company is pissed off or even that they are concerned that the employee might pull some bullshit. Quite honestly, you just don't want someone around that is no longer particularly dedicated or engaged with the company pending their leaving. That might affect the quality of the work that they're performing, or even more importantly, it may impact their co-workers. It doesn't do the business any good to keep someone around that might well be bad mouthing the company, talking up their new job elsewhere that may or may not pay better or whatever else, it goes on and on.

That said, if the employee was a long term, valued one that got along with people and has the maturity to not make a stink then certainly I'd entertain it. But as a general policy, it's totally understandable to not keep soon to be ex-employees around for a variety of reasons. And hey, the employee gets a couple weeks off, good on them.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Are they gonna still pay you McCheese? If they didn't, that seems akin to firing which opens them up for a wrongful termination suit. Something most companies I think would rather avoid and would just assume pay you for an extra week you aren't there.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
He said he has a two week vacation now, which would indicate they are still paying him for those two weeks.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I don't know if they're going to pay me for the 2 weeks. I assume no.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Look up the employment standards in your state, because generally they can't terminate you after you give notice. If they tell you not to come in for the 2 weeks, they're probably obligated to pay you for them anyways. At least that's how that shit should work, but then again, some American states seem to almost revel in fucking over workers, so who knows.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you are an at-will employee you are probably out of luck. You could go to EEOC or something and make your case but that's a lot of hassle and lawyer fees just to make a point.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
If you are an at-will employee you are probably out of luck. You could go to EEOC or something and make your case but that's a lot of hassle and lawyer fees just to make a point.
Yeah, no pay for my two weeks' notice. It's basically as if I was terminated as soon as I gave notice. They didn't even let me clean out my cubicle myself; they tossed all my personal shit in a box and stuck it in one of the HR offices.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, no pay for my two weeks' notice. It's basically as if I was terminated as soon as I gave notice. They didn't even let me clean out my cubicle myself; they tossed all my personal shit in a box and stuck it in one of the HR offices.
Thats just stupid bad treatment. Make sure to email all of your former co-workers and tell them that the company insta-fired you when you gave notice, and copy your boss and his boss on it. That way none of the employees will give notice from now on, since they know its to their detriment. Fuck that place.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, that shit's not cool. I'm surprised that shit is even allowed by the employment standards of your state, that's ridiculous.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wife got promoted at the post office to a full-time regular (they are contractual at 1-year). Thought she'd get a nice pay raise but they decided to lower the base pay at the same time to her current rate. She cannot win at that place.

Only upside is she gets full benefits, sick time, set day off, etc.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
On a completely opposite end of the spectrum. I had a coworker get fired for being completely shit faced at work (came in for a meeting on his work from home day and couldn't walk straight). He got two months severance pay... I guess they weren't lying when they told us they take care of their employees. All of this happened after he was given a 30 day paid leave to go to AA or some program like it

Borzak

Yeah, that shit's not cool. I'm surprised that shit is even allowed by the employment standards of your state, that's ridiculous.
It's pretty standard procedure here. You give notice you're done for the day. You get a check to the minute you gave notice and that's it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It's pretty standard procedure here. You give notice you're done for the day. You get a check to the minute you gave notice and that's it.
So why would anyone ever give notice? That practice is bound to bite a company in the ass in the long run, you'll end up with employees quitting on zero notice everytime they leave, unless you're ok with that.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I imagine it depends on the industry and I have no idea where McCheese works. If you are some programmer part of a team of X number of guys, it probably isn't hard to just shift whatever you were doing onto someone else until you can rearrange headcount. If you have a more unique role or carry a lot of responsibility, it would certainly not be in the companies best interest to terminate you immediately. Hell, when I leave my current job, I don't even know if two weeks is going to be enough time to tie up all the loose ends and make sure my boss can handle all everything I do during the transition but we are a department of 2 so it's a pretty unique situation.

You also run into whether or not someone has "checked out" and if it's worth even keeping them if you think they aren't going to give a shit about their job. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt but I know that isn't necessarily a common mentality.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Pretty much. My wife is leaving her position to become a stay at home mom. I've been telling her to not give any notice and hand in her resignation on her last day. She has the guilt factor weighing on her because of the extra workload her work friends would have to pick up. But fuck that noise. She's not going to a competitor, but I know her manager's manager would tell her to GTFO now and terminate her immediately.

Borzak

So why would anyone ever give notice? That practice is bound to bite a company in the ass in the long run, you'll end up with employees quitting on zero notice everytime they leave, unless you're ok with that.
It's standard practice in our entire industry and has been that way since I got into it 25 years ago. Some people who work in management get to give notice and get a two week check or whatever. If your not upper management you're done for the day and they mail you a check.

I don't know what they do here at work since I've never seen anyone give notice and that includes the previous 30 years my dad worked here. You either get canned in your first 6 months or you stay till you retire basically. The average length of time people have worked at the small company I work for is 23 years and I'm the youngest employee in the office at 43, but we have some younger people in the shop to even it out. But we still have older guys in the shop up to age 71.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I agree it's bad practice to do that, if I were an employee I would sure as hell never give a notice at a company I knew would just insta fire me.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
To be fair, how would you go about finding that out without giving away you might be looking for new employment(or secured one already)?