What do you do?

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Started my student teaching. Seems pretty cool so far. I got lucky and the teacher I'm with is also the football coach. Teaching the 7th grade so the kids are still young and naive but not helpless like elementary school kids.

Vinen

God is dead
Just got the official word that our team as we know it within EMC is dissolving and being reformed under another person (in typical EMC fashion). Due to me being a young guy, they thought it was a good time for me to get away from that.

So with that, I'm moving back into firmware engineering as a software engineer. Kind of shitty as I've been in this job since December, so it's sort of a setback, but at least I'll be doing real engineering again and working on the big toys.

It's funny because I've had little work the past couple of months and it was starting to pick up - but I feel I will enjoy coding more (for now).

Same pay and everything, so just a sidegrade.
This is why I am so glad I don't work for EMC... wait... shit

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This is why I am so glad I don't work for EMC... wait... shit
Acquire, acquire, acquire!

I'm pretty glad I'm moving to firmware development at least. It's far less political over there and they tend not to keep creating layers of management and re-orging the staff.

Plus I get to play with the big toys again
smile.png

Where do you work?
Letter processing plant (Postal service).

What do you do?
Sort letters in one way or another, be it via a machine, manually or ensuring others do it.
Also freelance translator, but only one real client.

30 to 40k a year, depending on number of translations and how many extra shifts I take at the plant.

Bonuses?
2 to 4 extra days off a year, depending on the compay's annual profits

Benefits?
Live in Sweden, universal health care system. Employer reimburses me for some medications (champix), $300 a year on my gym card or equivalent health maintenance.

It's a horrible job and I'm bored most of the time. I am the perfect example of what happens if you don't study/ get a degree, when you 'ought' to. Having said that I am fairly happy with many parts of my current life. I will get a degree soonish (studying part time) , but it probably won't help me in terms of career, turning 44 this year. I love my wife, 3 daughters and the house we bought 6 months ago.
A few weeks after writing this post I chose to test the tertiary education thing. I have now completed the first year of my bachelors in HR management. Whether it means I'll actually get a better job remains to be seen. I haven't regretted it for a second so far.

Crazily

N00b
Where do you work?
State Government Agency (Arizona)

What do you do? (Title/keywords)
Network Administrator. I configure firewalls, routers, switches, proxy servers, wireless radios..... anything/everything to do with networking.

What field/industry?
IT

Wages?
70k/Year

Bonuses/SEP?
NOPE

Benefits?
Amazing, Healthcare is topnotch. I have 12 sick days a year and now that I have been here 10 years, I receive 240 hours of vacation a year!

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
A few pics from the office during my last shift.

rrr_img_74862.jpg
rrr_img_74863.jpg
rrr_img_74864.jpg

Last pic is me getting in battle stance

rrr_img_74865.jpg

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Can you help put out this fire? Hold on bros gotta snap some pics for rerolled.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Got a job offer today while I'm still on paid leave till after the first of the year....

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Where do you work? Local county / govt job.

What do you do? (Title/keywords) - Drug counselor. Help people with drug/alcohol problems. Everything from economic and personal counseling, treatment placement and follow up.

What field/industry? Public health care

Wages? 70kish a year

Bonuses/SEP? Not really.

Benefits? Based on standard Norwegian laws. 25 days vacation, paid sick leave (up to 1 year), maternity/paternity leave (1 year), and other stuff. Most you never regard as "benefits" until you need them. 100% pay increase during overtime, but that is rare to be granted. Normally it is based on flexi time. You work +7.5 hours, take a paid day off. Have known people with so many + hours they had 7+ weeks off in a row.

Job is a temp job out this year so far, so looking for other jobs at the moment. Really enjoy it though. Last job was production of welfare disability and other benefits (the actual legal document production) with no face time to anyone. Now I get to help people from the get go, which is good, but can be a bit stressful. Spending lots of time and effort getting people help only for them to skip out on it is stress inducing. Especially when you need to do it over and over and over, hoping that it sticks at one point. Feels really good when you manage it though.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Starting a new job on Monday. Can't wait. Also, just found out I have a fat bonus coming to me from the end of the 2nd quarter of the year. Life is good.

Borzak

What kind of offer?
Complicated lol. I have set to down and compare the pros and cons. The obvious pros are more money (base salary) and better benefits. The cons are I would have to move, but be closer to my other home I own - too far to commute but I could make weekends there easier. Another con is it's more corporate than where I work now which has 10 ish people in the office I have known all my life, we also haven't had a lay off in at least 45 years in a lay off prone industry and the average length of employes working here is currently 23ish years and that's only because 2-3 just retired after 40 years. Also I currently get a yearly bonus in the summer of between 25 and 40% of my gross pay.

The big con is obviously the corporate angle. I got sick this year and missed a lot of work between Feb and May and finally just wasn't able to work starting in May. I was paid the entire time and got my bonus while off of work and I'm currently being paid till I'm good to go back just after the first. Not sure I'll get that elsewhere.

Borzak

Bust on the job offer. They didn't want to put a contract in writing. I do everything on long term contract. Once took a job and worked one day and got paid for a year because they were idiots.

Oh well, still on paid leave for a few more months.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Enjoying my new job a lot. BIOS development is great - work directly with CPU architectures, PCI-e, memory, etc.

What fucking sucks is the following. I'm transitioning to the new role while another guy is transitioning into my old role. The guy coming in is saying he has too many committments and is blowing me off on a huge project he's taking over. As my name is still on it, I need to hit major deadlines. I'm essentially working both jobs full-time but only working 50 hours a week: that's skipped lunches, blowing off meetings, working from home - it sucks. I've only got a couple weeks left but most of the work has to be completed in that time frame. Kill me

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Any advice for a 30 year old, upcoming undergrad CS major/math minor? I'm graduating from Virginia Tech in May '16 and wondering if getting an internship, while I'm still studying, is more beneficial than just focusing on grades until graduation.

I've been slowly updating my resume with all the CS courses I've taken (C, C++, java, combinatorics, etc.). I've been told that, post graduation, to just cast a really wide net and see what companies bite. I'm also going to make a LinkedIn profile soon too.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Usually you do internships in between spring and fall semesters. And yes, you should definitely do one. It's a huge leg up on your competition for jobs.