What do you do?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm not sure why women don't possess the "don't give a fuck" gene that us guys have that allows us to deal with inordinate amounts of BS without cracking emotionally, but they don't. And it sucks.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Pretty much true. I have to listen to my wife complain for hours after work. When I leave work all is forgotten.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm in fmla leave for baby bonding but my job is shutting down next year. Can either transfer out of state, or ride it out to that end and get severance. I'm using my 3 months fmla to move closer to family, and will be searching for a new job there. It's a scary thing to think I have to find something new without a degree that will support my family but gotta do it.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I might still be stewing because my boss is a dick or work sucked but the last thing I want to do is air it out in my sanctuary from all that mess.

rrr_img_78940.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Pretty much true. I have to listen to my wife complain for hours after work. When I leave work all is forgotten.
After two years, I'm pretty sure that the special lady friend still barely knows or understands what my company does, let alone what I do. Yet I know the majority of her coworkers on a first name basis, what their life stories are, who hates who, and so on. And she only works there two days a week!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Well, I think that's partially your fault for telling her that you're an engineer. It's misleading.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I might still be stewing because my boss is a dick or work sucked but the last thing I want to do is air it out in my sanctuary from all that mess.

rrr_img_78940.jpg
Understood. Good luck.

Sometimes what first looks bad turns out good. I turned down a job about a year and a half ago and it really haunted me for a long time. They threw a good deal of money at me but I passed it up just due to the location and lack of housing in the area that was within a reasonable commute time even tho it wasn't a permanent job. It was on the project managmenet end dealing with cost over runs. My dad attended a meeting yesterday where the public service commisioner talked and stated the project was now 1 billion over budget.

Not only does it sound like it would have been a nightmare, having that you dealt with cost over runs on your resume on a project that was 1 billion over budget doesn't sound like a good deal.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm just going to jump in and echo McCheese and some other's thoughts. This whole "no child left behind" thing and parents acting as if trade school is beneath their child is ridiculous. Way too many kids are going to college and graduating with crippling debt they have no chance of repaying. Meanwhile every time I have to call a plumber it ends up costing me like $300 for an hour's worth of work.
Do people really demean skilled trades? I graduated high school in 2005 and at that time the "just go to college who cares about your major a bachelors is $$$" mentality was being shoved down our necks, but no one said dont ever be a plumber or electrician.

Im actually quiting my job tomorrow after just over 2 months of working there. Company is basically ripping people off and its run by sociopaths. Though it was a great eye opening experience to see how much someone can lie/deceive you while smiling at you and shaking your hand.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Coming from a very high wealth, mostly white, mostly white collar high school I can confirm that the kids who did vocation school were indeed looked down upon. Personally I never understood it. HVAC, Plumbers and electricians can all make very good money. Shit even grunt work people who don't mind getting dirty like garbage men can make a good living. But in my town you simply had to graduate HS then go to college. There was no other path and all parents and school faculty pushed in that direction.

Dbamf and I went to HS together so maybe his opinion on the matter was different. This is just the impression I always got.

Vinen

God is dead
Coming from a very high wealth, mostly white, mostly white collar high school I can confirm that the kids who did vocation school were indeed looked down upon. Personally I never understood it. HVAC, Plumbers and electricians can all make very good money. Shit even grunt work people who don't mind getting dirty like garbage men can make a good living. But in my town you simply had to graduate HS then go to college. There was no other path and all parents and school faculty pushed in that direction.

Dbamf and I went to HS together so maybe his opinion on the matter was different. This is just the impression I always got.
I went to a vocational school for Computer Science. Even though I was going for a technical path I was still looked down.
People more or less assume vocational/technical schools are for idiots. Then again, even within the school I can honestly say that those of us in CS/Biotech/Robotics/etc all looked down on the trades on the first floor, literally.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff

IMHO it's because a lot of people can't tell the difference between a vocational school and truly shit colleges like DeVry that admit everyone and provide you with nothing.

The view on trades is a funny thing. I come from a family who primarily make their living through the trades and the vast majority of them are very well off whether they own their own company or are highly skilled labor for someone else. However all of my older relatives were very vocal about my generation going to school and not getting in to the trades. One cousin and myself are the only two out of sixteen that actually finished college, and while we are both comfortable money wise the kids who ignored their parents and just got involved in the trades are making as much or more then we are. No reason to look down on people in the trades at all. Sure they probably aren't millionaires (aside from the guys who own their own company) but they earning power is good, the work is rewarding if you enjoy working with your hands, and the hours can be great depending on your particular trade. The only major downside I ever see is the fact that my older family members are pretty physically worn down from years of manual labor.

lindz

#DDs
I think it's hilarious that someone that graduates from a four year university with a degree in ancient greek poetry is seen as more intelligent and has better potential than a plumber with 20 years of experience. Our education system is fucked up. I lived in Australian for a bit as a teenager and I was a little shocked by how much they still respect the trade system - dropping out of high school to take up an apprenticeship with an electrician was in no way frowned upon. Shocked not because it was a bad thing (it is awesome imo), but because it is not at all what I was experienced with.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I think it's hilarious that someone that graduates from a four year university with a degree in ancient greek poetry is seen as more intelligent and has better potential than a plumber with 20 years of experience.
Who actually respects these literature major retards? Seriously?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Who actually respects these literature major retards? Seriously?
I get what Lindz was saying, and I don't think it's that anyone necessarilyrespectspeople with bullshit degrees like that. Rather, it seems (at least around here and everything I've experienced in my educational and professional life) thatanycollege degree is viewed as higher status than an experienced tradesman. It goes back to what I initially ranted about: kids nowadays are getting it pounded into their heads that any 4-year college degree is automatically better than going the trades route, which is a complete and utter lie in almost every regard.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I get what Lindz was saying, and I don't think it's that anyone necessarilyrespectspeople with bullshit degrees like that. Rather, it seems (at least around here and everything I've experienced in my educational and professional life) thatanycollege degree is viewed as higher status than an experienced tradesman. It goes back to what I initially ranted about: kids nowadays are getting it pounded into their heads that any 4-year college degree is automatically better than going the trades route, which is a complete and utter lie in almost every regard.
I guess it depends on what you mean by status. The 4 year degree literature retard is undoubtedly going to be more intellectually sophisticated than the tradesman, and if thats what status means, then yes. But if status is income, stability, future employment prospects, etc... then no.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I guess around here it's diferent. As mentioned before there are lots of "professional" type jobs that only require a high school diploma or less (I actually have a GED and did it for a number of years before working part time to go to college for an unrelated degree for personal but not professional gain) such as what I do which is structural steel design, several areas of drafting, programing of CNC equipment, project management etc...which are all good paying jobs that take place in an office alongside true professionals such as engineers etc....