What do you do?

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ever consider jumping to another gov job? You should be able to put in for some higher paying grades. Also...every government agency gets bonus money if I'm not mistaking..
That's the thing, I am tied to an area that has a decided shortage of federal jobs for a few years, so I am kind of stuck unless someone gets off their ass and rates my current position appropriately, which isn't likely because that would mean other people would lose THEIR jobs. And they do all get bonus money, but depending on how it gets divvied out, folks tend to see very little of it. Especially now with the whole gov't up in arms about budget cuts.

Dis

Confirmed Male
What do you do? (Title/keywords)

IT Manager

What field/industry?

Automotive Retail (publicly owned)

Wages?

85k yr

Bonuses/SEP?

none

Benefits?

Car Allowance for my truck & my wife's car which after taxes covers about $700 a month. All of my gas is covered by the company for my truck as the area I am responsible for covers South Texas (lots of driving). Std everything else, healthcare insurance, 401k match, Stock Purchasing Plan (buying stock at discount rate), blah. Also forgot, we get discounted parts and labor pricing as well. It makes a big difference, sometimes we get a gratis standard maintenance service (AKA fluid changes) just depends on how the service manager is feeling about their IT experience =)

Love my job honestly. Hours vary wildly, some weeks can be your standard 40 hour work week, and some weeks it can creep into the 70 hours, but a ton of responsibility, project management, and I get to work with some great people (who are also some of my closest friends).

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Where do you work?: A large nutritional supplement brand.

What do you do?: Senior Buyer - Mainly deal with our contract manufacturers, though I handle some raw material sourcing/purchasing.

What field/industry?: Health, wellness & fitness.

Wages?: 70k (~80k with bonus)

Bonuses/SEP?: Once a year bonus of around 10 - 14% of annual pay. Completely up to executive management's discretion, but it's been in that range the last 5 years at this company.

Benefits?: 401k match up to the first 3%(weaksauce), 100% of health insurance premium paid for single employee plan(awesome), I pay only 10% over cost on our products, which is an insanely good discount if you give a shit about supplements and/or sports nutrition.

I really like the current company I work for, especially considering I didn't like my previous one where I was in a higher management position. Best professional move I ever made was leaving last year.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Where do you work?

Hospital laboratory

What do you do?

Histotechnologist

What field/industry?

Healthcare

Wages?

$24/hour base pay, can't really predict annual salary because there's a lot of overtime.

Benefits?

Very good health care, $32 per pay period (every two weeks) gets you full coverage with no deductible, only other charge is $15-$35 co-pays depending on where you go. They give you $120/month for your 401k.

I like what I do, basically the work requires just the right level of mental energy. It's not so simple that it's repetitive and boring, yet at the same time it's not so difficult that it's stressful and exhausting. Currently there's a lot of overtime, and that's simultaneously the best and worst part of the job. I've reached 60+ hours and double-time pay several times this year. The worst part is you never know when they're going to need you to stay longer. Doctors are VERY picky about having their slides in as early as possible, so if we get slammed with work they need everyone to stay and get shit done. That means when you go into work you never know if you're going to be working 8 hours that shift or 14.

EDIT: Wow, forgetting one word made me look like a pretentious ass there.
What is a Histotechnologist?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I didn't go to college so I just a lowly grunt working his way up in the world, not making bank like most of you. Going to school part time now.

Where do you work?- Century Link

What do you do?Residential Sales (some business when I feel like it)

What field/industry?Telecommunications

Wages?$60k

Bonuses/SEP?Depends on how hard I want to work, they have various incentive contests throughout the year, I just won a 5 day trip to a 5 Diamond resort in southern Cali all expenses paid. There's cash contests as well.

Benefits?401K matching up to 10%, full health benefits, stock options, $5,000 per semester college paid for....other stuff I'm forgetting. I get like 3 weeks of PTO and 20 sick days a year.

Dis

Confirmed Male
I didn't go to college so I just a lowly grunt working his way up in the world, not making bank like most of you. Going to school part time now.

Where do you work?- Century Link

What do you do?Residential Sales (some business when I feel like it)

What field/industry?Telecommunications

Wages?$60k

Bonuses/SEP?Depends on how hard I want to work, they have various incentive contests throughout the year, I just won a 5 day trip to a 5 Diamond resort in southern Cali all expenses paid. There's cash contests as well.

Benefits?401K matching up to 10%, full health benefits, stock options, $5,000 per semester college paid for....other stuff I'm forgetting. I get like 3 weeks of PTO and 20 sick days a year.
Looks like a pretty good job to me.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Looks like a pretty good job to me.
Heh, thanks that means a lot. I busted my ass this year for that 60k, the trip I won I got by being ranked in the top two of my 12 state region.

Whenever I look back on my life I always wish I had followed Scrooge McDucks advice from Duck Tales. Work Smarter, Not Harder. I really wish I had not been retarded in school and hadn't worked to support my first wife while she went to school and had went to school myself. All things told though, I could be doing much worse I suppose.

Where do you work? - Postal/Mail Service

What do you do? - Handle packages and Mail to roughly 450 houses.

What field/industry? Curator

Wages? $40k a year.

Bonuses/SEP? - After 2 years the salary increases .. and then once a year i think.

Benefits? - Free lunch every friday, and a nice Toyota Rav4 Jeep for work, and i get to take it home with me.
smile.png
(Health care is included in the taxes)

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What do you do? (Title/keywords)- Environmental Engineer (I have a stamp and everything). Primarily I design treatment systems for water and wastewater plants.

What field/industry? Consulting firm to municipalities.

Wages? 80k

Bonuses/SEP? nope.

Benefits? Good but expensive healthcare, 401k (they match the first 3% of your salary). Lifestyle is very controllable so I work a pretty regular 8-5.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Where do you work?Government of Canada

What do you do?Network Administrator

What field/industry?IT / Fed Gov't

Wages?$80K

Bonuses/SEP?No tangible bonuses, but training is free. Never underestimate free training. I am unionized, and we generally get cost of living increases every time our collective agreement is re-negotiated, but it takes years to negotiate and the agreement is usually expiring by the time it's ratified, so the increases are almost always years late (but at least they're paid retroactive to the last contract's expiry).

Benefits?Medical (whatever isn't covered by OHIP), dental, vision, travel insurance... basically the works. Federal government benefits are incredible up here. Pension contributions are matched 50/50 (was 37/63 before this year's parliamentary budget IIRC, but 50/50 is still fine by me).

I love my job. The benefits are incredible. I get to travel now and then, but not too much. I get to help people, work on challenging issues in the industry I enjoy, and I don't worry too too much about being let go (although there was a sweeping round of cuts in the public service this last year, and there are likely more to come later this year). The biggest detractor from working here is the abject laziness of some of my co-workers. It's hard to motivate myself when people around me aren't doing anything, and it happens more often than I'd like to see (as a taxpayer, anyway).

Pinch_sl

shitlord
What is a Histotechnologist?
It's the person who processes body tissue samples and puts them onto slides. Usually that means they receive a tissue sample from a doctor or scientist, then it has to be fixed (preserved), embedded in wax or some other material, sectioned into thin slices, stained so you can see the cellular structures, and then analyzed under a microscope or with imaging software. All the slides you looked at under a microscope in high school biology class were prepared using histology techniques. I had to do my own histology for my research and I found out that it is equal parts art and science. There are a whole bunch of different ways to process samples, too, depending on the tissue you are dealing with and what type of analysis has to be done on them.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It's the person who processes body tissue samples and puts them onto slides. Usually that means they receive a tissue sample from a doctor or scientist, then it has to be fixed (preserved), embedded in wax or some other material, sectioned into thin slices, stained so you can see the cellular structures, and then analyzed under a microscope or with imaging software. All the slides you looked at under a microscope in high school biology class were prepared using histology techniques. I had to do my own histology for my research and I found out that it is equal parts art and science. There are a whole bunch of different ways to process samples, too, depending on the tissue you are dealing with and what type of analysis has to be done on them.
That sounds fairly technical and difficult. I'm surprised he only makes 24/hour, that's not very much at all.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
This thread makes me wish even more I could go back and time and kick myself in the ass about putting off my schooling.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Entry level pay. I haven't been doing it for a year yet.
Very cool, and if single, I bet this is a nice little angle to use in picking up chicks when they ask you what you do. Your job has a better and more artistic explanation than, "I manage stuff" <---- me, but thankfully married.