What do you do?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Had my interview, fairly shitty. I felt like they were looking for someone more experienced despite my resume clearly laying everything out. Not feeling too confident, although one guy kept saying "awesome" to my answers and me and another guy shot the shit about guitar for awhile.
They always want someone with more experience. A professor I know said when they interviewed him for the job they wanted someone with more experience. He wrote the book so to speak on that entire subject. He invented it.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Had my interview, fairly shitty. I felt like they were looking for someone more experienced despite my resume clearly laying everything out. Not feeling too confident, although one guy kept saying "awesome" to my answers and me and another guy shot the shit about guitar for awhile.
Tech companies can be strange beasts, most of them are really awful at interviews for IC type roles. The big dogs have an interview pipeline that is just shamefully bad in it's tech screen phase. If you got to in person and didn't bomb it, I wouldn't be too pessimistic. Not saying the experience thing wont burn you but that means you cleared a lot of hurdles.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Did they decline you over that?

Pop quizzes in interviews are the dumbest shit in the world. You're already putting people into a pressure cooker, and then you ask them a bunch of esoteric nonsense. It's like that stupid scene in Swordfish where they make Hugh Jackman hack a server during a BJ with a gun to his head. It's not only stupid, it's gratuitous.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'll find out probably today or tomorrow, just left the interview feeling like I was an idiot. I was picked up by an inside recruiter for the company, so obviously they thought my skills were a match and the phone interviews went really well.

I just happen to be dyslexic with pointers. I always have to think about them longer than a normal person.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It'll probably be fine then. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

My own gigantic tech interview #3 is later today, followed by two more tomorrow. It should have just been two interviews, but one of the people this afternoon had a conflict so now I'm having to have two one-on-ones and a panel rather than two panels. It's fine either way, I can talk forever about education tech. Today is another UX researcher on the team I'd be working with, and tomorrow is 3 people from the global team, followed by another researcher. Only one of the five has a strong understanding of what it is I actually do.

I'm gradually coming around to the idea of taking the job if they offer it, but I'm worried they'll try to lowball me a little bit. They know what my state salary is (roughly), and industry averages are quite a bit higher. I don't want my current job to anchor me in an excessively low bracket. We'll see what happens though.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Fucking recruiter keeps messing with the scheduled Hangout. I give it a 1 in 3 chance at this point that the interviewer doesn't realize she's supposed to still show up.

edit: Shockingly enough, the interviewer showed up. She was very nice, and spoke pretty much as though I was already working there. Didn't even ask me any real questions, she just dove right into what I'll be doing. Apparently I'm a unicorn because of my skillset. Her words.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Just make sure to crap some rainbows on your way out. Are you interviewing with "the Google" because using hangouts for an interview is a terrible idea, but those bastards are forced to.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Nah, not Google. I'm hesitant to specify, but it's a very, very large education tech and publishing company. Your kids have unquestionably used their products.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Have a feeling I know who you are talking about, big user of graph databases
smile.png

Vinen

God is dead
Nah, not Google. I'm hesitant to specify, but it's a very, very large education tech and publishing company. Your kids have unquestionably used their products.
Please don't be blackboard or whatever the fucking shit that sewage is.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Probably V-tech (though I don't think they are big enough to be talked about like this) since I don't think Broderbund is a thing any more.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Please don't be blackboard or whatever the fucking shit that sewage is.
The only thing I like about BB is grade/weighting calcs. If our curriculum was similar to something like math and everything could be auto-graded it would be ok I guess (barring random fits of "WTF is BB doing now?"), but a lot of the classes I'd consider using BB for I'd end up having to log in to grade as short answer assignments. I ended up going back to paper assignments and grading shit by hand because for those types of assignments I wasn't saving much time, and unless I end up teaching the same class every semester (I don't) the effort required to create the course in BB isn't worth it.

Had my interview, fairly shitty. I felt like they were looking for someone more experienced despite my resume clearly laying everything out.
I wouldn't worry about it, and this happens all the time. Think about all the companies looking to hire graduates, that then SOMEHOW expect a few years of experience and cry about having difficulty finding people. This is also why I have zero pity for HR departments, especially the ones that can't fill certain positions because their requirements aren't realistic when they could have instead hired someone with less experience and trained them.

Also, Mist's experience sounds like a lead-in to a DM's Shadowrun game right before the players walk off the elevator.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The only thing I like about BB is grade/weighting calcs. If our curriculum was similar to something like math and everything could be auto-graded it would be ok I guess (barring random fits of "WTF is BB doing now?"), but a lot of the classes I'd consider using BB for I'd end up having to log in to grade as short answer assignments. I ended up going back to paper assignments and grading shit by hand because for those types of assignments I wasn't saving much time, and unless I end up teaching the same class every semester (I don't) the effort required to create the course in BB isn't worth it.

I wouldn't worry about it, and this happens all the time. Think about all the companies looking to hire graduates, that then SOMEHOW expect a few years of experience and cry about having difficulty finding people. This is also why I have zero pity for HR departments, especially the ones that can't fill certain positions because their requirements aren't realistic when they could have instead hired someone with less experience and trained them.

Also, Mist's experience sounds like a lead-in to a DM's Shadowrun game right before the players walk off the elevator.
I'm not worried really because I already have a really nice job. This position is basically being an innovator in bios writing. It's a very rare type of job, so I'm interested. Company is crazy big and is going to grow fast.