What feature(s) or circumstance would persuade you to install a brain implant?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about a future that involves brain implant/neuralink tech?

• Total voters

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So basically Strange Days?
Wasn't that movie about the past memories/experiences of others, though? I just want my own, with 100% accuracy. I could give a fuck about other shit degens did in their past.

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
I think the ability to recall/relive past memories with near 100% accuracy would cause me to get one the next day.
Only if you have an option to also erase with near 100% completeness particular past memories. Some things are better off forgotten.

maelfyn

Vyemm Raider
Got rid of my smart phone when I realized it was a giant productivity drain. No regrets.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Only if you have an option to also erase with near 100% completeness particular past memories. Some things are better off forgotten.

that was an episode of black mirror.

But for me, #1 would have to be that the government doesn't want me to do it. From there, I'd make a decision based on features and security. But if they push it even a little bit, then fuck it, I'm out.

Also, it would need to be easy to take out.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, black mirror didn't make it seen very appealing. Remembering things the way you want to and getting rid of 99% of what happens is what you want. You only need the past to keep you from fucking up in the same way over and over.

I just want to fly around in a mind controlled drone with the video from the camera going directly into my brain. Then when I crash and burn it's "oh well, now I'm just back in my body which I left sitting on a chair on the deck when I flew away.

Cybsled

Wasn't that movie about the past memories/experiences of others, though? I just want my own, with 100% accuracy. I could give a fuck about other shit degens did in their past.

It was both - you could record and watch your own, or watch others. The main character was addicted to reliving memories of his time with a past love.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Probably wouldn't unless it was to correct some condition like a spinal cord injury. For just entertainment and convenience, no way. It's scary enough how many people turned into phone zombies in the past 15 years. With a direct brain interface, it'd be an inescapable dopamine trap.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I don't think consciousness will ever be transferrable to a different substrate. It looks to me like a quantum phenomenon.
Fan of Penrose, I surmise?

We don't even know what consciousness actually is. It's seemingly an emergent phenomenon of all kind of repurported structures in the brain.

Take the recent hullaboo about "internal monologues". And the question "are those without one really conscious?". The thing is, internal monologue is simply repurported speech control mechanics. When you talk, you simultaneously send the output to your muscular control for actual sounds, and your hearing centers, where it can either use it to control for speech (compare what you hear with what you expect to hear, so you can immediately fix your speech) or ignoring your own words to focus on the rest of the people talking (substract the expected input to enhance the rest). Internal monologue is just when you simply don't talk. There's nothing magically "conscious" about it.

I'd expect consciousness with added processing in a brain implant to be consciousness, but different. It would still feel you, the way people with drugs or brain alteration are still "you".

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I'm on the nope Train toot toot..
Never gonna get it.
I'm 45 and won't need it for work etc, my kids have a different future though.. hopefully it's not necessary for them

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Few things. If I could remember everything and pull that info up instantaneously. If I could connect to all my shit with thought. Turn on lights, start car etc. Block any information I do not want. Needs to be a pretty pure environment.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Fan of Penrose, I surmise?
Yes, but it is just a feeling really. It feels vague and wavy and seems to follow q information rules.

I'd love to be wrong though. I'm a big fan of the old ghost in the shell stuff.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
I would never install a neural interface to a machine. I don't intend to use vr either.

Also I glanced at the thread title and thought it said circumcised

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
After being a big fan of bone conducting headphones, an implant that let me play audio without them would be compelling if it did visual as well as audio.

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
How would/could you stop hackers or companies or governments or other from getting access to your brain or thoughts?
Hard nope train .. even implanting thoughts to make you do or think stuff you'd never done before.
My brain is fuck up enough without the opportunity of someone helping me along

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
If someone were to list all the pros and cons of modern smartphones and take a survey on FoH in say, 1998, I wonder how the poll would go.

The same fraction of people who willingly carry government surveillance devices on their person at all times day and night are gonna JUMP at the chance to have that shit implanted in their brains.

"it makes everything so easy!"
"how could you get by in modern life without one!"

People are gonna be literally lining up, and there will be violence over line jumpers. Its gonna be like Back Friday everyday from the day theyre announced til the day the last person who wants one, gets one.

Every objection listed in this thread will be a conspiracy theory and you're all domestic terrorists. Why do you want to destroy Social Harmony?

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I just want to fly around in a mind controlled drone with the video from the camera going directly into my brain. Then when I crash and burn it's "oh well, now I'm just back in my body which I left sitting on a chair on the deck when I flew away.

Sounds a lot like surrogates.

Not a great movie, but there's a singularity I could get behind.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, black mirror didn't make it seen very appealing. Remembering things the way you want to and getting rid of 99% of what happens is what you want. You only need the past to keep you from fucking up in the same way over and over.

This is mostly possible right now without an implant or anything. What the hell do you need your hands free for?

Masakari

Pattern Recognition Expert
<Gold Donor>
We can't even optimize the way our brains think or react to things, implants would be like taking anabolic steroids without knowing how to diet or exercise.

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
This is mostly possible right now without an implant or anything. What the hell do you need your hands free for?

Masturbation. I'm not even sure why you had to ask that.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users