What feature(s) or circumstance would persuade you to install a brain implant?

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about a future that involves brain implant/neuralink tech?

• Total voters

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Direct access to my brain from hackers and the goverment, sure why not? Oh wait NO.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In 2019, I'd have said the lowest functionality bar would be an effective keyboard/mouse replacement. In current year?
No No No GIF

As for society passing me by? I don't even need a real phone, let alone a smart phone. Society needs to get off my lawn.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Direct access to my brain from hackers and the goverment, sure why not? Oh wait NO.

That became a plot point in Ghost in the Shell. Like that one guy they turned into an assassin and had manufactured a life in his memories, then he finds out they were never real and he breaks down.

That sort of shit would be scary, but only possible if we cracked the ability to form memories or alter personality via an implant.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've been rereading the spiral wars and one of the cool implant things the navy guys can do is "formulate" over coms. They sort of think-speak and the implant translates it into real speech to send over coms. They need it alot because they can't speak during high G burns and such, but it is also used by marines when they are sneaking about.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
From a purely technical standpoint I’d be for it. In the real world, I would absolutely never do it under any circumstance.

• 1Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In 2019, I'd have said the lowest functionality bar would be an effective keyboard/mouse replacement. In current year?
No No No GIF

As for society passing me by? I don't even need a real phone, let alone a smart phone. Society needs to get off my lawn.
Musk still working on that brain chip. Who wants to be first?

Well fuck... I guess everybody's got a price.

Didn't they try that with monkeys and they killed themselves by pushing the button repeatedly?

It was nice knowing you guys...

• 1Worf

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It was nice knowing you guys...
It was Larry Niven's "ARM" universe (used in multiple stories) where you had Wireheads, who had a brain stimulator device like it.

And yes, the "legal" versions had limiters in the amount it could deliver.

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Jizzed themselves to death I bet.

• 1Worf

Borzak

Other links/media behindn paywall so grabbed this one.

Details about the state of the monkeys emerged in the reports. In one case, a primate had its neural interface attached through a substance called "bioglue" that destroyed parts of its brain, the group claimed based on the records.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Keep in mind that people who are into "animal rights" tend to be fucking nut jobs and everything they say should be taken with a grain of salt.

• 1Truth!

Borzak

Oh I don't care about the monkeys. Just interesting what they were testing.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm hoping for the reverse. Figure out how to upload me to a cloud. Obvious Sci fi shows show where that could go wrong. But id love to be an immortal digital entity where I "work" doing like digital data entry/it whatever half the time, then the rest of the time peruse the media of the world.

Lol then get hate crimed on the telephone with customers for being a ghost.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
eternity doing data entry / IT work?

I think there was a book about this long ago by some Italian dude, Dante something or other

• 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users