What game(s) had a final area/boss that ruined the game for you?

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
There have been a few games in the past where there was some bullshit boss that just made me stop playing the game. I remember there was a boss in FF10 that made me just stop. Interestingly, none of the FROM games, as I saw those as actual challenges throughout the game, so I finished all the Dark Souls, Demons Souls, Eldin Ring etc.

In more recent times, like last week, I finished Yakuza Kiwami. Let me tell you, I nearly didn't, because that last boss sequence was pure bullshit. Two bodyguards that knock you down at the slightest touch. The main boss in the background shooting at you. Then when you beat the two guards....they resurrect like fucking zombies and you have to do it all over again. Then, after all that, before you can rest or restock on healing items, you fight the actual last boss (your former best friend).....and he has like 8 hit point bars.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

joz123

Potato del Grande
Grimkin boss in Hollow Knight. Fucker kills you in like 3 hits and you have to hit him about 80 times to kill him.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Remembered another couple. Ninja Gaiden Black I think the name was. I got pretty deep in and got stuck hard on a boss. I finally look it up and found out that I had missed a bunch of life level ups and just quit.

Nioh 2 as well. Some big snake boss, I beat my head against for a long time and never got close, finally threw in the towel and never went back.

Both were a shame cause I really liked them.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
This wasn't the final but the bird boss in Ys 7 on nightmare difficulty was ridiculously difficult, and you had no way to "grind" to make it easier. It took me over 100 tries to eventually do it. Not only are you doing little damage compared to it's HP, you only get 1 healing item of each type in nightmare mode, and the guy can stone you (with no immunity at that stage of the game), has adds, does ridiculous damage, and has moves that require perfect dodging.

Ys in general has really hard bosses. Final from Ys (Dark Fact) is also notorously difficult, but you can grind your way to victory if you wanted.

Last edited:
  • 1Double Worf

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
FF8’s final area (fighting some witch in the future or something) ruined the game for me. Granted I was 11 or something. I remember smashing the game until that point then getting my shit pushed in and never playing again.

Elden Beast in Elden Ring killed my joy for ER. The whole back to back boss fight sucked. I’d get to the second boss with less than half my potions etc and not get far. Never went back.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
THIS FUCKING RACE completely ruined Mad Max for me. And I loved that game. I thought it was such a fun gem until this buggy, unpolished piece-of-shit race. I'm not exactly sure why I had so much trouble with it - something to do with the retarded car physics that otherwise didn't bother me and also getting this far into the game very quickly so no patches.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The only two I can think of are Xenogears and FF12 but I know it has happened on some others in the past.

Xenogears I got to the final boss and I was just very underleveled I guess, I was getting my ass handed to me very hard over and over. And I believe the final save point you’re just stuck, you can’t go grind from there. I eventually gave up and never beat it, and it really made me kind of sour at an otherwise amazing game. It was so awesome at the time.

FF12 I was just getting very tired of playing the game. I got to the save before the final boss and just never got back to it. Mostly I was just tired of playing it and. It invested in the story at all so didn’t care I guess. I still could I guess, I still have the game and the save. I’m pretty sure there’s been a few other games I did this with, FFX I think I did something similar.

Xenogears is pretty rough in that regard. I think you might be able to backtrack out of the final area but it's a ridiclous trek.

The only "underleveled" you can be there is not having better Gear parts. I think there's a shop at Duneman's Isle or something that sells uber-strong gear parts. Also very expensive so grinding is probably needed just to get everything for your 3 mains. Mine were Xenogears, Crescens, and Fenrir w/ Sword.

There's a point earlier in Xenogears where Fei has to fight Elly and her goon-squad by himself. There's a merchant right before the fight that sells gear upgrades, and for some stupid reason the game gives you the option to fight the merchant. First time I talked to him, I chose that and beat him up, then he disappeared. Continued with the dungeon, saved, discovered that the Elly fight was impossible without the new gear parts. ...that were now resting with the dead merchant. And you couldn't leave the cave either to backtrack to town and buy upgrades there.

I guess the lesson is "always upgrade" but sometimes I like to skip a town. Whatever. Killable merchants = idiotic and saves trapping you in an area you can't leave = super-idiotic.

That and Velius in FFT were the two biggest times I had to restart an RPG that I was pretty far along with because they hoodwinked me into a trapped save.

You're talking about the Luneth, Refia, Arc, Ingus game right?

Yeah. In the NES version they're just four generic, genderless peons and you can change their classes. That's a great game...until the last 5% or so. Not only is the final dungeon lengthy and super-difficult, you're also basically boxed into using the Sage and Ninja classes (2 of each). The game's strongest point is the variety afforded by its class system, and at the very end, it just sort of abandons that system by throwing two super-classes at you that you have to use.

Chris

Potato del Grande
There have been a few games in the past where there was some bullshit boss that just made me stop playing the game. I remember there was a boss in FF10 that made me just stop.
Yunalesca? I had to restart the game lol.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
it wasn't the final, but the water escape of Ori that really pissed me off. the sudden shift into a forced vertical scrolling race. and it auto-saved so you were forced into this new playstyle until you beat it.
its not insanely hard really. its just being forced into it, locked into it, and the change in playstyle.

The music in that Ori clip sounds super emotional and stuff. Is the whole game like that? I get the impression it's a game that'll depress me, or make me feel things, one or the other.

I think every FromSoft Souls-type game has an area that makes me wonder when the game is finally going to be over. Lost Izalith in Dark Souls, Fountainhead Palace in Sekiro, and Crumbling Farum Azula in Elden Ring come to mind.

For me it was Shrine of Amana in Souls 2, probably the worst area in the entire series. I played both the Scholar and original versions and in one of them it was even worse than the other, can't remember which one. Just an absolutely atrocious area and I probably would have given up on it if not for the "kill ten enemies and they stop respawning" mechanic. It got to where I was clearing the mages one at a time, ten times each, just to gradually clear out that stupid level because it was impossible to sprint through.

I finally beat it, but the boss(es) in Doom Eternal made me put the game down for a few days and seriously hampered my enjoyment of the whole experience.

SyZwaWQ9QXBp

I hated that one boss with the axe that you had to parry (or something, it's been 2 years).

FF8’s final area (fighting some witch in the future or something) ruined the game for me. Granted I was 11 or something. I remember smashing the game until that point then getting my shit pushed in and never playing again.

I think FF8's final area locks a lot of your abilities or something and you have to defeat bosses to unlock things. I hate that kind of thing in games. The Blackbird section of Chrono Trigger takes your weapons away and turns into a stealth game since you can't attack anything, that really sucked. (Can bring Ayla to deal with it, but if you don't know that and save once that section starts, I think you're stuck).

Romancing Saga 2 had a similar situation where you were on a sandship or something with no equipment, turned into a total chore for a while with a melee-heavy party having to punch things.

None of these ideas made for fun levels, that's for sure.

Yunalesca? I had to restart the game lol.

I never had issues with Yunalesca, or anything in FFX until Braska's Final Aeon (a tough fight no matter how you play the game, unless you get some ultimate weapons).

I think this is because I did two things: I farmed sphere nodes at Besaid Island (that very first area with the weakest enemies in the game...they still drop plenty of spheres). Like I remember farming a hundred or so battles there in a short amount of time. Second thing I did was farm EXP midway through the game, specifically one area that was just one long hallway where the battle music is overridden by the area music. All the enemies in that hallway are robots, so it's easy to decimate them with Thundaga and gain tons of sphere levels in a short amount of time. Combine that with the Besaid spheres and I was able to jump up like a hundred nodes at that point. (The robots don't drop a lot of spheres, just a lot of EXP, hence needing the spheres from Besaid). First time I played the game I grinded a lot at the hallway for EXP, but didn't have nearly enough spheres to actually spend the exp afterwards until I went back to Besaid and farmed. So now I just do both at appropriate times. This eliminates the need to grind at all in any other part of the game and makes it smooth out.

• 1Like

Caliane

The music in that Ori clip sounds super emotional and stuff. Is the whole game like that? I get the impression it's a game that'll depress me, or make me feel things, one or the other.
ori has a somber but hopeful tone for sure. theres definitely sadness through much of it. but in the end, new life.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
How has nobody mentioned ME3 yet? Or did I just miss it? One of the worst endings in gaming history, especially after all the build-up to that point with the prior games and after what was a fairly decent game to that point (Kai Leng being the only major weakpoint).

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Goonsquad Officer
How has nobody mentioned ME3 yet? Or did I just miss it? One of the worst endings in gaming history, especially after all the build-up to that point with the prior games and after what was a fairly decent game to that point (Kai Leng being the only major weakpoint).
i kind of feel like the "giant man" that the reapers stupid fucking evil plan to build at the end of ME2 was a sort of retarded worthless final edition to an other wise good game. it was kind of the jump teh shark moment, then for ME 3 they just kept clearing more and more sharks.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
No points for picking low hanging fruit.

• 1Like

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not a final area, but I literally can not stand the Animus bulllshit in any of the Asassians Creed games. Can be trucking along and fully immersed in whatever setting you are in...and BAM...next 20+ mins are walking around some skyscraper building or controlling a different toon looming at computers.

I fucking hate it. They should remove all Animus nonsense from every game.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not a final area, but I literally can not stand the Animus bulllshit in any of the Asassians Creed games. Can be trucking along and fully immersed in whatever setting you are in...and BAM...next 20+ mins are walking around some skyscraper building or controlling a different toon looming at computers.

I fucking hate it. They should remove all Animus nonsense from every game.
yea, i'm going to italy in a few and i wanted to replay ass2 and i was hoping there were mods to get rid of animus, nope

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The last area/boss fight of Horizon Forbidden West ruined the game because it was so easy and uneventful.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Half Life 3 really ruined the ending of the series BY NOT EXISTING.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Can somebody sum up what was so bad about the ME3 ending?

ME1 and 2 were two of my favorite games circa 2012. I played the hell out of both of them for weeks while I was in college, and they single-handedly got me back interested in Star Trek which prompted me to do big watches of some of the shows again (or at least their good episodes). It was all space all the time for me for a bit.

Then ME3 came out and...I barely remember it. It felt way more like a standard shooter than a space opera RPG, maybe because I chose Soldier instead of Vanguard like the others. I don't remember the ending or much of anything. I think I just blew through it pretty quickly and moved on. Didn't have the same massive wow factor with me that the others did.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well I didn’t mention it because the ending of 2 made me never play it~

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users