What game(s) had a final area/boss that ruined the game for you?

SeanDoe1z1

Brave fencer Musashi

End of game you do a dance off to get to the last boss. I couldn’t figure it out for some reason, I look back on it now and think I had a glitched save. I only had the one save right before it.

I had rented it and spent like 12 hours trying all combinations to get it to work before I had to return it out of anger, shame, and pure self loathing.

I hate all Asians now. When ww3 starts I will be the first to line up to reenlist, make my way to 4(5) star general and sway the public to preemptively nuke Japan before history repeats itself.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Yakuza Like a Dragon, the double boss fight with Goro Majima and Taiga Saejima. This feels like an endgame superboss that they throw as a major roadblock to completing the game's story. They are both ten levels higher than any other enemy in the dungeon in which they appear, and they also have multiple special abilities that put them in their own strategic league that you're also utterly unprepared for. The only reasonable way to level up high enough to beat them is by grinding in a battle arena optional area because nothing else gives remotely enough XP.

Also, piss-poor JRPG game design dictates that if your main character ever goes to 0 HP, even if there are other party members still up that can revive him, you get an instant game over. This is extremely problematic because Majima has an attack that deals such insane amounts of damage that it kills one of your party members instantly, even through a perfect guard. If he targets your main character with that, you have no choice but to restart the battle. This battle ruined what was otherwise a solid game for me and unless there are cheats to make my entire party max level, I'm never going to finish it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

joz123

Potato del Grande
Yakuza Like a Dragon, the double boss fight with Goro Majima and Taiga Saejima. This feels like an endgame superboss that they throw as a major roadblock to completing the game's story. They are both ten levels higher than any other enemy in the dungeon in which they appear, and they also have multiple special abilities that put them in their own strategic league that you're also utterly unprepared for. The only reasonable way to level up high enough to beat them is by grinding in a battle arena optional area because nothing else gives remotely enough XP.

Also, piss-poor JRPG game design dictates that if your main character ever goes to 0 HP, even if there are other party members still up that can revive him, you get an instant game over. This is extremely problematic because Majima has an attack that deals such insane amounts of damage that it kills one of your party members instantly, even through a perfect guard. If he targets your main character with that, you have no choice but to retstart the battle. This battle ruined what was otherwise a solid game for me and unless there are cheats to make my entire party max level, I'm never going to finish it.
The masochist poundmate makes that fight way easier. Also buffing your own defense helps a ton.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
The masochist poundmate makes that fight way easier. Also buffing your own defense helps a ton.

I summoned every single poundmate I had access to for that fight and also kept a musician on full-time defense buffing duty and it still wasn't enough. I know I could beat them if I went and grinded the 10 level difference for higher stats, I just don't want to do that.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yes, that was hell. I remember asking someone at school how to do it and he just laughed at me.

Reminds me of one of my cool game memories: Rented Super Metroid on release day, was unbelievably excited for it. Got it home, played for like six hours straight, having a blast. Then ran into the wall of a boss that is Draygon, the boss of Maridia. It kept doing that grab-and-beat-Samus-half-to-death attack. Gave up for the night, the next day I just lost that fight over and over again. Then my mom and I went out shopping and while we were at the mall, we stopped in Electronics Boutique. We were talking about Draygon, and this random customer guy was like "can't beat Draygon?"

Was nice enough to not laugh at me because Draygon is serious business. My mom was like "Wait, do you know how to beat Draygon?" and the guy was like yep, then explained to me how you could use the wall guns to shock the boss with the grappling beam. Went home and tried it and finally won.

Was pretty awesome to get this kind of heads up from some random guy who overheard my mom and I talking about it. Good times.
Probably already been posted but

View attachment 439658

Oh shit, that's gotta be super-high on the list.

Get to the end of a game and it's like "you have to replay the whole game a second time before we let you see the final boss lolol"

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reminds me of one of my cool game memories: Rented Super Metroid on release day, was unbelievably excited for it. Got it home, played for like six hours straight, having a blast. Then ran into the wall of a boss that is Draygon, the boss of Maridia. It kept doing that grab-and-beat-Samus-half-to-death attack. Gave up for the night, the next day I just lost that fight over and over again. Then my mom and I went out shopping and while we were at the mall, we stopped in Electronics Boutique. We were talking about Draygon, and this random customer guy was like "can't beat Draygon?"

Was nice enough to not laugh at me because Draygon is serious business. My mom was like "Wait, do you know how to beat Draygon?" and the guy was like yep, then explained to me how you could use the wall guns to shock the boss with the grappling beam. Went home and tried it and finally won.

Was pretty awesome to get this kind of heads up from some random guy who overheard my mom and I talking about it. Good times.

Oh shit, that's gotta be super-high on the list.

Get to the end of a game and it's like "you have to replay the whole game a second time before we let you see the final boss lolol"

Yeah surprised it's not triggering more people. That was some savage troll shit for the mid 80s. I guess I'm showing my age. Most people on here probably too young to remember the feeling of utter disgust when you kill the final boss and pop right back up in the graveyard at the beginning of the game. The fact that the game was so hard was the worst part

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I hated ff8s final boss, not because it was remotely hard, but because it was so fucking lame. Best music, best card game, then the worst ending. Killed a lot of the good feeling of beating an rpg like the others gave.

Angband I lost a really well leveled and geared dude to a room full of bullshit like slimes and whatever because of some demon fucker who summons you to itself. Fuck. Never beat sauron or morgoth.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Brave fencer Musashi

End of game you do a dance off to get to the last boss. I couldn’t figure it out for some reason, I look back on it now and think I had a glitched save. I only had the one save right before it.

I had rented it and spent like 12 hours trying all combinations to get it to work before I had to return it out of anger, shame, and pure self loathing.

I hate all Asians now. When ww3 starts I will be the first to line up to reenlist, make my way to 4(5) star general and sway the public to preemptively nuke Japan before history repeats itself.

Wait, so what was the issue with this dance off? Was it bugged out?

Also, piss-poor JRPG game design dictates that if your main character ever goes to 0 HP, even if there are other party members still up that can revive him, you get an instant game over. This is extremely problematic because Majima has an attack that deals such insane amounts of damage that it kills one of your party members instantly, even through a perfect guard. If he targets your main character with that, you have no choice but to restart the battle. This battle ruined what was otherwise a solid game for me and unless there are cheats to make my entire party max level, I'm never going to finish it.

This was the thing that drove me nuts in the Persona games, main character death being game over. Combined with the fact that insta-death spells were SOMEHOW A THING at the same time. Can't count how many times I lost progress in P3 because an enemy hit the MC with a death spell when I was almost at the end of a dungeon.

Yeah surprised it's not triggering more people. That was some savage troll shit for the mid 80s. I guess I'm showing my age. Most people on here probably too young to remember the feeling of utter disgust when you kill the final boss and pop right back up in the graveyard at the beginning of the game. The fact that the game was so hard was the worst part

And then you had to get the Bracelet and do things a certain way for the second time through to get the REAL final boss. I just said F that and punched in a code to skip to Sardius.

Angband I lost a really well leveled and geared dude to a room full of bullshit like slimes and whatever because of some demon fucker who summons you to itself. Fuck. Never beat sauron or morgoth.

Wait, there's a game where you can fight Sauron and Morgoth?

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So on my first playthrough of FF4 on snes, I ended up in one of the later zones underleveled and with like 2 tents. I feel like it was an area I had to beat to escape but my memory isn’t great. Anyway. I quit for a long ass time. Replayed.

I do agree Elden Ring last few areas seemed to drag. I made the mistake of hitting every small dungeon I could. It’s clearly not made for that. I still finished. Crumbling Farum azula is still a visually stunning area.

Ninja Gaiden Black. I don’t make it far. For some reason I couldn’t get into the combat. Odd since it should be entertaining. Need to return to it with new patience.

NES TMNT. I was a young TMNT fan. This hurt me.

Three I didn’t have issues with that get bitched about. Water Temple in Ocarina. I was on summer vacation baling hay. Only had this game to play. I loved water temple.

Super Star Wars and Super Empire. Simple pattern recognition, yet so many people bitch about them. I loved fighting Vader in ESB. Never did play RoTJ though. Tits got my attention about when that hit I think?

MMO…my old WoW guild struggled big time on all versions of Yogg. Then the good players rebuilt and smashed through ICC heroic and so on. We kept some lovable dead weight but the ones that weren’t great peeps got gone.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So on my first playthrough of FF4 on snes, I ended up in one of the later zones underleveled and with like 2 tents. I feel like it was an area I had to beat to escape but my memory isn’t great. Anyway. I quit for a long ass time. Replayed.

I do agree Elden Ring last few areas seemed to drag. I made the mistake of hitting every small dungeon I could. It’s clearly not made for that. I still finished. Crumbling Farum azula is still a visually stunning area.

Ninja Gaiden Black. I don’t make it far. For some reason I couldn’t get into the combat. Odd since it should be entertaining. Need to return to it with new patience.

NES TMNT. I was a young TMNT fan. This hurt me.

Three I didn’t have issues with that get bitched about. Water Temple in Ocarina. I was on summer vacation baling hay. Only had this game to play. I loved water temple.

Super Star Wars and Super Empire. Simple pattern recognition, yet so many people bitch about them. I loved fighting Vader in ESB. Never did play RoTJ though. Tits got my attention about when that hit I think?

MMO…my old WoW guild struggled big time on all versions of Yogg. Then the good players rebuilt and smashed through ICC heroic and so on. We kept some lovable dead weight but the ones that weren’t great peeps got gone.

Getting stuck in a final area with no Exit type spell seems to be a common cause of the topic of this thread.

NES TMNT hurt everyone.

I couldn't get into Ninja Gaiden Black either. Now I have the patience for it but I'm gonna play Sekiro instead.

Super Return of the Jedi is worth playing. That whole trilogy are tremendous games. Fire up an emulator and give SROTJ a play some time, it'll bring back memories.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser

Just got past that part. Goro does not like fire. Use the hobo guy's breath fire on him. Goes down fast. Obviously have to have done the thirty level dungeon first, get all kinds of goodies as well as level + job. Mmm, oh yeah, there is a HP belt that gives you hundred and fitty. Also the pound mate maso guy is a godsend for resist.

Ah, ffs - already answered, soo joz123 joz123 's post above.

Last edited:

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wait, there's a game where you can fight Sauron and Morgoth?
angband.gif

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
lets be real, it has nothing to do with age and everything to do with the fact that most people couldn't even get to the end in the first place because the game was so goddamn hard.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
New dwarf fortress. The deep creatures just always get too strong. You either isolate them or die

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bad bosses even shifty driving doesn't ruin games for anymore, now it is the endless other thist you can do, I have 4 or 5 games that have been abandoned because I went down some side quest get the best armor or something shit and then can't remember what the fuck I was doing in the main story and can't get back into it. GOD OF WAR mist bullshit is one example.

• 1WTF

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ff12's ending didn't really ruin the game for me, but it was really disappointing. They made the "boss" super sympathetic during the majority of the game, and then one of the dungeons right before shows you a bunch of interdimensional space demon gods who are really in control. Instead of swapping to following that awesome thread, it is back to fighting the guy that really isn't a villain for the ending. Very unsatisfying after the reveals leading up to it.

• 1Like