What I Know Best: Game Development - Someone should hire me STAT.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Still waiting on my Pokemon + Harvest Moon hybrid MMO. No raids, no bullshit, just pure Pokemon Battles and Farming.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Still waiting on my Pokemon + Harvest Moon hybrid MMO. No raids, no bullshit, just pure Pokemon Battles and Farming.
rrr_img_20623.jpg

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'd like more involved long, epic questchains for things ONLY obtainable that way. A class skill or even some kind of legendary weapon. Long ass chains that span multiple zones and levels, none of these fucking "talk to this faggot" and you complete it either. It doesn't necessarily have to be like a group/solo thing such as the AQ quest chain from WoW, but I loooved the idea of that. Quests are just so boring most of the time, I find myself only really paying attention to them when doing chains anyways.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I was hoping that GW2's WvW would turn into an RTS-like or Risk like game. Instead of running around plugging holes on a map all night, which is boring after you've done it a few times, I'd prefer to see some kind of territory control game, where taking a keep/camp/tower/whatever is a bigger event. I'd like to see players building walls, and other defensive points and slowly move across the map fighting.

That way, you can really work in political and economical stuff in there. If things don't change overnight every single day, you have time to really create a narrative. EVE does it, GW2 should of tried for something like that.
That isn't the game GW2 was ever intended to be. The game you want would have to be a niche product marketed to the hard core. Remember how much bitching people did for even having to run 5 min to find action?

For that to work you need long travel times and a gigantic map that would be as big as the GW2 PVE map. You also need collision detection between players.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Would love to see a post apocalyptic hard core sandbox MMO. The game world would actually be earth. I wonder if it is possible to render and entire game world using topography data from like Google Earth.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Questhelper was one of the most popular addons earlier in WoW. At one point, you bow down to the inevitable.
Yep, if you are going to have fuckteenbazzilion bear hide fetch quests in your mmo then some sort of find it guide is necessary.

I would rather work on 4 or 5 quest chains max. Have them last multiple levels and make them feel epic. When I open a quest book and see a fuckton list of idiot chores it makes me want to puke. Which is one of the reasons why I don't play mmos much anymore.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Would love to see a post apocalyptic hard core sandbox MMO. The game world would actually be earth. I wonder if it is possible to render and entire game world using topography data from like Google Earth.
Recently bought Fallout 2 from Gog (never played it..../shame), and I'd love to see something similar. Such a gritty, exciting setting if done properly. It does HAVE to be a sandbox though.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Any Harvest Moon MMO would sound far too much like Farmville Online. No thanks unless it has farm girls la ~

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Recently bought Fallout 2 from Gog (never played it..../shame), and I'd love to see something similar. Such a gritty, exciting setting if done properly. It does HAVE to be a sandbox though.
The Fallout series has been excellent in terms of giving you a sandbox to explore, yes. The problem with doing this in an MMO is... well, try to imagine Borderlands with 500 people in each zone. 4 people is aggravating enough.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Combat/adventuring and crafting/economy systems show up in most games, but political/nation building systems are under represented. I would love to see more of that. Letting players move borders around and conquer cities would be interesting.

Effort to build needs to be less than the effort to destroy or conquer for that to work.
Didn't Shadowbane try that?

Sean_sl

shitlord
Id buy a pokemon MMO in a heartbeat, been saying that shit for years
Take the Pokemon IP, make a big PC MMO that's just straight pokemon + rip off harvest moon at the same time (Pokefarms, duh). Basically just one gigantic pokemon game and have your own home instanced farm/homestead/etc. Tie in WiiU and 3DS games to it with being able to load some data through the internet between them to unlock shit, etc. Throw some iOS and Android apps in there as well.

Recipe for the most money anyone has ever made off anythingever.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I'd like more involved long, epic questchains for things ONLY obtainable that way. A class skill or even some kind of legendary weapon. Long ass chains that span multiple zones and levels, none of these fucking "talk to this faggot" and you complete it either. It doesn't necessarily have to be like a group/solo thing such as the AQ quest chain from WoW, but I loooved the idea of that. Quests are just so boring most of the time, I find myself only really paying attention to them when doing chains anyways.
Oh the WoW Hunter quest. Was a pain in the ass and a great feeling at the same time.

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
Typing this on my phone so forgive me for any mistakes I make.

An MMO if I could design it the way I wat would follow multiple game designs in one. Id have combat similar to Tera and Neverwinter, graphics like FFXIV, a general story quest line much like Old Republic, more world involving quests hidden by secrets, and an instance system that worked alot like EQ2.

Quests -- To me there are 3 kinds of quests. Level quests, which WoW is inundated with. Retrieve me 10 bea asses so I can tell you to collect 10 bear claws . There are storyline quests, these are the type that span multiple areas and levels. Then what I like to call epic quests, similar to fiery avenger from EQ.

Level quests would be easily identifiable by a mark above their head and would allow people who want to solo play a good way to level. These would I include fedex quests to new areas, collection quests, to tradeskill orders and such. General run of the mill quests.

Storyline quests would be much more akin to class quests and such like from old republic. Where it puts you into the story and gives you choices you can choose. Depending on type of server can make you go from evil to neutral, good to neutral, and vice versa. This would also affect your faction with other cities much like it did in EQ. These would be marked as well. They would also play into affect for pvp. Which I will get into later.

Now here is the real game changer. There are epic quests. Granted that with the flow of information now a days its hard to keep things secret. Quests would be encoded so as not to be able to be datamined. As well as all voice overs and such, heres why. They are hidden within the game and not accessible by mearly clicking them. Nor would they have the marks above their head. You would have to talk to them via hail, just like original EQ. Items they need would be vaguely marked like in EQ, as well as the possibility of just being a regular nobody that just wanted to talk. Some would only talk to certain classes and such. These quests would range from epic level weapons to something as great as the ahn qiraj gate opening. It would reward exploration and knowledge gathering.

Instances -- instances would work alot like EQ2 and DDO. You would have easy to get to dungeons that are readily available. Then youd have the harder 5 man instances located inside living dungeons. Where youd find groups pulling mobs and camping named creatures for great loot. Instances outsode would be rated for solo, mid size, to 5 man groups. Inside dungeons it would be 5 man only. Instances outside would have good loot, dungeon instance would be better, while rare named spawns outside would have the best. Yeah people would bitch but there would be a good community built.

Community -- There would be no auction House. I would bring back the original bazaar that eq created, only more like an actual market spanning a larger area. With an option to spend more to gain access to a nicer shop to sell your wares instead of just a rug on the floor.

The neutral city will be the largest hub and where most people hang out. Id have a wall board of jobs people can post as well as orders that have been placed for smithed goods and dropped items. I would have an assassins guild that gave out bounties for other players to take and to set. People would be able to attack their bounties in city and in the world at large. They would receive a notice that they have been marked but no indication how many assassins havetaken the job or who set it up.

Each city would have player housing following the aesthetics of the city. Guilds would have access to guild halls and beating raids and instances would update a guild board of your kills in full guild groups. Also decorated like player housing.

PVP -- This is always what most people want to be good. Assassin contracts as stated above. People in your guild and friends list wouldnt be able to take contracts on you, so you cant exploit it. You can go to the guild and find out if you do have a contract on you though and for how much. They can create a contract on you and make one on yourself, if you feel like a challenge.

Full open world pvp on some servers. Even within cities, except in the bazaar area. You might have to deal with guards but thats why I also have back alleys and shady dealers. If I could make a seperate rules server, which should be easy, everything would be tradeable except for certain items, and everything would have limited durability. Say if you use a regular green weapon from WoW, a blacksmith in any city can repair it. A blue item could get some durability back. Epics would require perhaps a lost blacksmith found by a raid to repair. Everything would be lootable, drop rates increased by 4x the amount on regular servers, xp increased as well. Raids would be up more often, rare woeld spawns, and some instances and all access raids like EQ.

An arena thats similar to EQ where its ffa pvp. No WoW type arena games or pvp centered armors. Different rulesets for pvp for skills and magic. Much easier to balance.

Political systems would be in. Good, evil, and neutral. If you manage to kill a faction leader of one of the races you can levy a tax on the losers, as well as attack their towns freely for a certain number of days. So things in shops are more expensive, and the funds go towards the winning factions ability to fortify their lands and holdings.

Which brings us to the next part. Each faction/race would have a leader and a council chosen to represent them. Players who are chosen by their peers. Not sure how that would work in game but it would be fun. There would be fortifications built across the land as well as castles and keeps that can be sieged. A map following the battlelines would be available to all. Portals would also be setup to allow fast transport to hotspot sieges in home cities.

Leaderboards would be setup that followed kill counts, victories, and other information as well.

Pvp would be for all levels. While a lvl 20 may not be able to kill a lvl 50 per say. He could through skill alone manage to dodge his attacks and keep him occupied till help arrives.

Raids and endgame -- ive described pvp above so I wont go into that here. End game raiding would be 20 man. It would again consist of instances and live dungeons. Instances would have high level gear arranged for people who like to raid on a set schedule . The best gear and where most of the legendary quests would be to end is in the live dungeon raids. This is where youd have to fight off other raids, or be better than them. Probably having to fight off griefers as well as people looking to pvp. Raid zones would be pvp areas. Guild groups vs guild groups. Defeated gankers would have possibility of dropping raid gear if youve downed a boss or are actually fighting a boss. Bosses would drop non armor pieces, just rings, trinkets, and weapons and the like. Some stuff would be guild bound and left with the guild or till the guild disbanded.

I would have a combination of well scripted bosses and tank and spank fights. Open to ideas for this.

Some of this stuff applies to just pvp servers and some to regular servers. Anyone can group with anyone except for the pvp type servers. Im sure im missing some good details but im too tired to remember them at the moment, but thats what id like in an mmo nowadays. Something that brought back the community and exploration and a small bit of wonder. Also the world would be huge. Id have airships you could buy, definately airships.