What I Know Best: Game Development - Someone should hire me STAT.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
Forgot to add in combat.

Combat -- Tera style action combat. With such innovations among certain classes having special abilities while attacking from the rear like rogue classes. Mages would deal more damage up closer than farther away. Healers could target in both traditional and action varieties. Bosses would have abilities that would need to be countered or dodged depending on who it is. Raid bosses would need counters while regularr instance bosses would be both dodgable and counterable.

Seperate rule sets for pvp and pve to make balancing easier.

Auto graphics tuning so that combat farther away isnt as detailed as something closer to you allowing larger scale battles. As well as the use of siege machines for more heavily fortified bases.

Group synergy would play along as well like it does in FF games allowing combo moves the whole group can do for better damage if they work well together. While possible in pvp, I am not sure how I could make it work yet. Gear would be important but not the end all be all. Someone skilled enough should be able to take out someone who is better geared but not as skilled. But there shouldnt be that big of a gap. Thats about it for tonight.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
About quests, I think those should be taken back to being meaningful. Fetching 5 bear asses isnt a quest. EQ epics were great quests (shitty mechanics notwithstanding, dont derail this sean!) because they required effort and rewarded something meaningful that you didnt replace at the next hub. EVE Online has a few epic story arcs that are similar if you care about their lore, but since EVEs PvE isnt exactly stellar they usually go unmentioned. But the idea itself has been picked up in several places including early WoW and I believe again in Pandaria (although modern WoW caters too much to the "everyone gets a prize" model to make them stand out). I also dont get why farmer joe doesnt want a second set of 5 bear asses while they are obviously still all over his pumpkin patch and eating his children. Its just silly. Imo games need to seperate quests and the other stuff, lets call it tasks (repeatable drudgery like fedex duties, killing wildlife or the local undead, etc... the usual leveling quests of WoW and its ilk).

Quests should be long, can only be done once per character, require some effort, have good story and attention to detail, and special and/or lasting reward like special skills or augments, special faction/reputation or access to certain vendors, unique animations for your abilities, item skins). Theres really so much you can do beyond a weapon with a different skin that has 10 strength more then the current-gen top gear.

Then make tasks repeatable where it makes sense or daily where it doesnt (take the gating concept of specific dailies simply for rep gain to the backyard and shoot it in the head). For tasks, remove the need to talk to the dude first if it makes sense or keep each task you've done once in some kind of log so you dont need to pick it back up before you go out killing the undead for farmer joe (kinda like GW2 hears, just keep them repeatable).

DMK_sl

shitlord
As stated. Optional full loot servers.
A non instanced MMO like UO with today's technology and diablo's combat. TAKE MY VIRGINITY AND MONEY.

Hand_sl

shitlord
I want a game that actually uses first person perspective as the only POV, no more third person bullshit.

DMK_sl

shitlord
LMAO. Fuuuucckk. This is me all the fucken time. I literally fight with myself "I better go back I might miss something awesome" "FUCKEN HELL it's just shitty ammo. I swear to god I'm not going back next time" The cycle continues.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
fedex duties, killing wildlife or the local undead, etc... the usual leveling quests of WoW and its ilk
The main problem with "leveling quests" isn't that they're shitty or not. It's that they're a characteristics that indicate you're facing entertainment rather than game.

Why is WoW an entertainment rather than a game? It's evident at all points: there is ONE WAY to do stuff. All others solutions are discouraged, if not outright blocked. Any alternative strategies to defeat a boss is prompty nerfed or fixed. The menial task giver will not talk to you until you have done the required steps. From the moment you step into the game, you are shown where you'll get experience and levels. At every point, you're shown what to do, where to do it, and how. The entire World of Warcraft is, let's say it, a movie-you-are-the-hero - except most scenes have only one continuation.

A game would probably set up a problem ("how do I kill King Tormax"), place a number of possible tools, and let you find one solution (among many) to the problem. In a better world, the designers would derive satisfaction from seeing all the myriad ways people achieve their objectives (get the loot), and only step up when there's obviously a bug that trivializes the problem by providing a "solution" that isn't really one.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thoughts on the graphic.
(note, I found that in reference to diablo3)

This is a design problem in many games. Not just corridor shooters.
Diablo3 as mentioned, torchlight as well.
Its interesting I think. D3 and tl1/2 have "better" procedurally generated maps then PoE. However, PoE is kindof more fun. Largely I think because its maps ARE more simple, and then less likely to be corridors.

corridors and linearity can be a problem. yes, and thats talked about more then enough.
But the real problem here is deeper. It seems like the corridors themselves are being made by retards.

Lets look at another game that is mostly linear. (but not totally)
Super mario brothers.
When doing a level. the level is almost entirely linear. Yet it DOES have side paths. Go down a pipe, and you have a side path.
But you dont fucking backtrack, a pipe takes you right back to the main level. Sometimes ahead, sometimes same location. These games with linear paths. and forks need to be doing this.
the second point, is make the side path blatantly obvious. Again, you know a pipe in mario is a side path. There is no, should I go right or left? Oh, I should have went left. That is a huge design flaw.
visual queues should be used to mark the right and wrong way. Honestly you will see this in good long term ips. Mario, megaman, etc. Even as the platformers opened up, good design let you know right path, and secret path, in mario world, etc.
Things you just dont see in Mass effect, etc.

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm
not really a mmo problem.. but this shit needs to stop.
Hah, good to know that I'm not the only one that this happens to on a regular basis. Many games turn out like what seems an endless repetition of that picture for me.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Think this trying to organize threads stuff might be going a little too far... kinda just gotta let people blab and the ignore button is there for a reason
smile.png

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
not really a mmo problem.. but this shit needs to stop.
Haha! I thank FFVII for creating my need to check every empty corner twice.
biggrin.png

I also blame FFVII for making every other game a big ole' disappointment in this respect.

biggrin.png