What If...?

velk

Trakanon Raider
OK.. so far I have heard some generalized reviews. I have been holding off until the season is done for bingeability. But so far the consistent theme is :

Take a white, male character... then gender and/or race swap them... then show how the gender/race swapped version is just better all around than the original.

Am I following? Or are these just skewed reviewers?

Yes and no. Peggy isn't portrayed as any better than Cap, it's pretty much the same character arc. For most of the second one, T'Challa is presented as so much more awesome than original Starlord that it is actually kind of grating. The end suggests that he gets the galaxy destroyed by Ego though, so...

Also in fairness, 'take a non-white, non-male character' doesn't actually give them many to work with ;p

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yes and no. Peggy isn't portrayed as any better than Cap, it's pretty much the same character arc. For most of the second one, T'Challa is presented as so much more awesome than original Starlord that it is actually kind of grating. The end suggests that he gets the galaxy destroyed by Ego though, so...

Also in fairness, 'take a non-white, non-male character' doesn't actually give them many to work with ;p

It might not, but then why not take a character and simply make a change to their story, WITHOUT any gender/race swapping?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
So T'Challa is the great unifier and hero of the universe. My boy Peter Quill becomes a fucking janitor. Bunch of bullshit.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
They're more or less keeping this with characters and events that have occurred within the MCU and shows so there's a lot of limits on what they're likely to do with this show compared to the comics. I don't really have an issue with T'Challa turning the Ravager band into do gooders, but I didn't really care for turning Thanos into one of them. 2nd episode definitely more weird than the first one, but I mostly preferred the first one.

Cybsled

So T'Challa is the great unifier and hero of the universe. My boy Peter Quill becomes a fucking janitor. Bunch of bullshit.

Quill became an orphan (since his mom died and his father was MIA) and got a shitty lot in life as a result. Not that unbelievable.

Although he was still a celestial and now the universe is fucked lol

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Quill became an orphan (since his mom died and his father was MIA) and got a shitty lot in life as a result. Not that unbelievable.

Although he was still a celestial and now the universe is fucked lol
Uh wasn't his grandfather there to raise him like in the movie?

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean him working at a fast food place and having to clean up and close isn't really the craziest thing that could happen.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I don't mind the changes so far. I mean what are they going to do pick up some random we never heard of to become star lord? I was just curious why the collector has caps shield.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Peggy isn't portrayed as any better than Cap,
Disagree. She's much more assertive (although that may be a side effect of only having half an hour to work with) and she saves the entire planet from Shuma Gorath whereas Steve protected like one city from getting nuked.

Cybsled

Collector having some Avengers items I think just highlights he may have defeated them at some point.

Peggy had more combat background than Steve at that point in the timeline, so makes sense that at least initially she would have a bit of an advantage on him.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is that even possible?
Bucky doesn't fall from the train, takes care of Peggy while Steve is on ice, taps that ass and results in a different Sharon who gets a superserum dose by the time Cap is defrosted. Since she is no longer one of time traveling Cap's grand children Steve x Sharon can happen.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Bucky doesn't fall from the train, takes care of Peggy while Steve is on ice, taps that ass and results in a different Sharon who gets a superserum dose by the time Cap is defrosted. Since she is no longer one of time traveling Cap's grand children Steve x Sharon can happen.
Yeah, but based on people's expectations here for a hypothetical like this Sharon would also go by Shawn after coming out as non-binary.

Unrelated, looking forward to episode 3:

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I mean him working at a fast food place and having to clean up and close isn't really the craziest thing that could happen.
It's not that its unlikely, it's that it means what made him a hero to begin which I thought was his inner will/spirit no longer is there.

spronk

FPS noob
what if Black Widow DIDNT sue Disney

- racism, poverty, food shortages all solved
- everyone gets along
- everyone has their own sex bot

thanks, Black Widow

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't really read much of the 10 pages so far but I tried watching EP1 last night and switched off halfway through.

Going to sound like a colossal tart here but the violence just seemed too callous for what is supposed to be a superhero story. Watching her just butchering Germans left right and centre, throwing them out of planes, etc. didn't have me punching the air so much as just feeling uncomfortable.

• 1WTF
  • 1Garbage
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I haven't really read much of the 10 pages so far but I tried watching EP1 last night and switched off halfway through.

Going to sound like a colossal tart here but the violence just seemed too callous for what is supposed to be a superhero story. Watching her just butchering Germans left right and centre, throwing them out of planes, etc. didn't have me punching the air so much as just feeling uncomfortable.

It's virtuous to murder white men in media. You're supposed to enjoy this, bigot.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi

I hear what youre saying but it was also a wartime story where the enemies were literal Nazis. I think the standard is a little different in this setting.

Allied bullets killed Nazis just as dead as Captain Carters actions. I'm pretty sure Captain America didnt refrain from lethal force during Nazi fighting scenes somewhere in canon, although I confess I'm not sure if MCU Captain America killed any Nazis on screen.

• 1Like

Juvarisx

Florida
I hear what youre saying but it was also a wartime story where the enemies were literal Nazis. I think the standard is a little different in this setting.

Allied bullets killed Nazis just as dead as Captain Carters actions. I'm pretty sure Captain America didnt refrain from lethal force during Nazi fighting scenes somewhere in canon, although I confess I'm not sure if MCU Captain America killed any Nazis on screen.

I mean he killed a lot of Hydra dude's in First Avenger, but you never saw him fight the Wehrmacht or SS if thats what you mean, but i considered Hydra essentially Nazi's