What If...?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea not sure where we suddenly got squeamish about him killing people during WW2. It was a war, he carried a gun, he killed a fuckload of people.

GkS8t.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I haven't really read much of the 10 pages so far but I tried watching EP1 last night and switched off halfway through.

Going to sound like a colossal tart here but the violence just seemed too callous for what is supposed to be a superhero story. Watching her just butchering Germans left right and centre, throwing them out of planes, etc. didn't have me punching the air so much as just feeling uncomfortable.
90's action movies are looking down at your weak constitution and laughing in cigar

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
He's not entirely wrong, they very much glossed over the fact that Steve was killing people in Cap 1. Hell he's killing people in all three movies but it's not obvious because the violence is so sanitized and you often have to sit and think 'wait that would have killed him' to realize he was killing people.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
What If...?
What If… The World Lost Its Mightiest Heroes?
Season: 1
Episode: 3
Air date: 2021-08-25

Guest stars: Tom Hiddleston, Chris Hemsworth
Nick Fury struggles to launch The Avengers when candidates are targeted by a serial killer.

To me this one felt a lot more like an issue of the comics.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Yes very much so. I've taken to making sure to not look at the opening credits so as to avoid the names of various actors who will appear. This helps keep things suspenseful.

I'm surprised it took me as long as it did to figure out.

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm surprised it took me as long as it did to figure out.
I figured it out right away and I think it's mostly because I read your post before I watched it lol.

Good episode and thankfully lays to rest the theory that the what-if episodes are a single shared universe.

spronk

FPS noob
it was a heavy dose of member berries, but i do like that we are seeing alts of characters we just aren't gonna get to see in live action ever again. This is definitely a different timeline than episode 1 though, right? Especially with the ending. I don't remember my MCU history either but i don't think in the movies those characters had their "origin stories" all in the same week.

The bad guy/reveal was a bit weak, and I think Black Widow could have definitely said something A LOT MORE FUCKING USEFUL on the phone but yeah, mostly enjoyed it. I do want more stuff thats wildly different, like episode 2, while I felt episode 1 & 3 were more minor tweaks to the stories we've already seen. Everything with Loki was A+++

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
thankfully lays to rest the theory that the what-if episodes are a single shared universe.
Does it?
All we really know is:
Coulson is a 'Steve' fanboy.. but Hydra Smasher existed in that timeline.
Hawkeye and Fury were alive when they pulled Captain Carter out of the Shuma Gorath portal... but we don't know when that was relative to the first Thor movie.
Something with a Captain America star is under ice... but they rather pointedly don't show what or who.

Weird that that wasn't Brie Larson, but was Michael Douglas.

Edit: I suppose we also know Wakanda isn't conquered by Asgardians whenever T'Challa comes back. But the intro with the shattering glass _is_ simply clips from the show, and that's clearly Killmonger next to Red Skull @ 1:04 - I can't imagine any episode leftists wouldn't be more dying to make than, say, Klaw leading the Asgardians into Wakanda and Killmonger getting to kill the invading white people (and running the world afterward).

Last edited:
  • 1Garbage

Cybsled

The whole point of this is to show different multiverses...having everything in one universe makes no fucking sense.

At best, you'd just have crossovers between universes

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Something with a Captain America star is under ice... but they rather pointedly don't show what or who.
Except we already saw Peggy and Fury meet in the first episode, she wasn't frozen she was brought forward in time by the space stone and Shuma Gorath. The shield can't be in Peggy's possession, in the Collector's possession, AND frozen in the arctic.

The only way they could make it more clear that they aren't a shared universe is a giant glowing neon sign that spelled it out explicitly before each episode.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
My expectation is these are all branches of the branch created by Peggy not leaving the room. Different heroes are assembled from these realities to defeat a living Infinity Gauntlet: Ultron.

The season concludes with these universes ending with some carryover/connections to live action MCU and providing a rough template for season 2.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
After three episodes, it seems like they're going for an upward trajectory in just how wacky the each successive scenario goes. Assuming they continue on that path, it's gonna be interesting to see just how out there the final episode will be.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
RE: single universe theory
it's quite clearly NOT a single universe. we've seen clips from an unaired episode of winter soldier (bucky with long hair) but in the captain carter episode, bucky never falls off the train. even if we can't take that into consideration since it hasn't aired yet, the collector has captain america's shield, NOT captain carter's shield. captain america's shield has the star on it, captain carter's shield has the union jack. and thirdly, at the end of THIS episode, we clearly see a frozen captain america shield, which didn't happen in the first episode. like gavinmad pointed out you can't have the same shield be in 3 different places.

you also have the fact that in the first episode, captain carter comes back during the beginning of the avengers movie, but hawkeye is there with him and that obviously couldn't have happened if he died during the first thor movie.

in the beginning of each episode, the watcher narrates what happened in the MCU, and then he shows us what happened in a different universe. there should never be the assumption that he is only comparing 2 different universes.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
What If...? Works as a purely episodic affair. It's a perfect little terrarium of character and concept exploration which also allows for maximum fanservice at times.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This is my favorite Marvel TV show so far. Animation style is great.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

After three episodes, it seems like they're going for an upward trajectory in just how wacky the each successive scenario goes. Assuming they continue on that path, it's gonna be interesting to see just how out there the final episode will be.

Marvel Zombies is going to be one of them, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were that lol