What IP would make a great MMO?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The Lord of the Rings Online™ - Steam Charts

Maximum users 3,703 over a month, and hasn't had near 2,000 concurrent players in a month since 2013. I'm actually surprised it has survived 10 years. But hey, I guess that's what you get with dedicated IP fans. I dunno, I guess my idea of a successful MMO minimum would be Star Wars Galaxies, even though they shut that shit down, it's still getting emulated en mas. Maybe not failed, but certainly a minority in the market.

It's over 10 years old and I doubt anything but a tiny minority play it through steam

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah using Steam numbers for a game that has other ways to play (especially if those other ways to play existed before the Steam option) is retarded.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Considering there are no other available statistics, the vast majority of players these days use steam, and the lack of alternative evidence to the contrary, is just as retarded. Which of you still plays it?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I log in now and then. Was planning on trying out the "high elves" when that is available. I think it is avail now but not in the in-game store. I have like 6969696969 store points I never use so waiting on that.

Moria was a great expansion, but I couldn't do mirkwood. First few quests were like kill x where x was some huge number. I guess after that was dunland / rohan stuff I never looked at?

I don't really get the high elf thing. I mean some of the existing home towns you could pick were already Noldo dominated. Edhellond had some intermingling with men, so maybe Lorien had a lot of migrants over from mirkwood to do the laundry and mow the lawns? :D

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Harry Potter would be the biggest cash cow.

Great source material and lore, hits all generations and both genders, stylized world that would work great in the virtual-world space, and a universe that fits perfectly with natural RPG advancement system. It checks every box and already has an audience of a few hundred million.

• 2Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Harry Potter would be the biggest cash cow.

Great source material and lore, hits all generations and both genders, stylized world that would work great in the virtual-world space, and a universe that fits perfectly with natural RPG advancement system. It checks every box and already has an audience of a few hundred million.

Isn't that why they're adding broomstick fights and "quidditch-esque" gameplay to that one survival game?

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, I'd love one of the Japanese indie/smaller studios to at least do the story parts of an MMO. eg, a Falcom or something. If you let any western developer make an MMO these days, you just know it's going to be full of SJW nonsense.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Must just be me, but seems like MMO have run thru everything and it's all just repeat this and that. The genre definetly needs a shakeup in the "fun" area applied to it.

• 1Solidarity

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Mechwarrior / Battletech could be incredible.
There's a GIGANTIC amount of lore and history that could be used to bring the game to life..
Pilots could rise up through the ranks to drive better and better mechs, and ultimately control their own lance / star (Clans)
PVP in house vs house wars could be AMAZING..
Clan invasion..
Solaris 7 tournaments..

Trust me.. I've tried to talk to Jordan Weismann about doing a Mechwarrior MMO, but he just doesn't think there is a studio willing to tackle the project and do it right..

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The books are good for an intro in to grimdark fantasy. But the world is ideal for an mmo in my opinion.

How can it be ideal for an MMO when the world building relies on Glenn's hollow descriptions?

When describing Beryl Cook be like: "I cannot help being awed-and occasionally intimidated-by how time-deep Beryl’s history runs."

aaaaand that's it.

Press F to be intimidated by the time deepy-ness of Berl's history

• 2Worf

numbskull

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ideally an MMO IP would have an interesting and well-established world with some mainstream popularity. The world has to have some initial draw, being somewhere that people would be interested in running around in and exploring. Another requirement would be the potential for interesting classes, and all the better if they are not simply rehashes of other game classes. If all you have to offer is a cliched Ranger or Wizard or Pirate, most MMO veterans would yawn and pass. Not that it's impossible to do something intriguing with some well-trodden roles, but you have to take into account how jaded many of us are.

Of those IPs mentioned, I see Firefly as a good SF candidate. It could combine elements of games like Elite and Freelancer with more common MMO aspects. The trick would be fleshing out a good class system, so that it wouldn't just be about moving up to bigger ships or be too EVE-cloney. You would need to incorporate trading and combat and things like espionage and diplomacy.

For fantasy IPs, GoT is a likely option, as is WoD. Game of Thrones is a relatively low-magic world overall, so that might be tricky for players who want a mage-type character. It might also be harder to keep interest if your character is just a rank-and-file pawn, given that the well-known characters would have to be strictly NPCs. Leveling up would have to be more than just commanding more troops, unless the intent was to work in RTS elements. World of Darkness holds a fascination for many, and has a well-fleshed-out tone and lore. The clans provide ample class-building room, and the inherent magic allows broader skills than just claws and weapons.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Isn't there already a Mechwarrior "mmo"? I mean, mechwarrior never really had a story. It was mission: defeat other mechs. Granted MWO is purely pvp, so I'm guessing you're looking for a pve experience with a story. Which is really what we're looking for.

What about Wing Commander?

Personally I'd like an mmo that didn't put so much value in survival, or building. Main reason I fucking hate playing those types of games (Ark, Conan, etc). I'd rather the developers built the castles, and let me get straight to infiltrating with buddies. I realize some people enjoy level building, but that shit just isn't for me. I'd rather get paid to do that part.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Considering there are no other available statistics, the vast majority of players these days use steam, and the lack of alternative evidence to the contrary, is just as retarded. Which of you still plays it?

Nope, going 100% on Steam numbers for a 10 year old game makes you way more retarded.

• 1Worf

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I think mechwarrior had a story but it went thru a bunch of games to follow it I think. Stopped playing when they really started pumping out the games.

I'll be odd man out. Not sure having a premade IP helps. I rather have a well fleshed out backstory made into the game than trying to fit an IP into a game. Of course I'm the person the who had no clue what World of Warcraft was before a lot of EQ moved into it.

• 1Like