What IP would make a great MMO?

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Battletech could be amazing, but I doubt any company will give a team enough time to do it right.

There's actually a pretty high demand for a mech game, especially an MMO / MMOFPS style game with mechs.
I don't think it has to be BattleTech, Chromehounds or Hawken, it could be a new IP for all I care.

Though all of these ideas will suffer from IP Hell in the end.

'IP Hell' is what I call when the rights are sold off to many companies, for example: SWG - LucasArts / SOE's partnership added a level of complexity that made it impossible to make a game like it again, or to bring that game back in any way.

Actually, IP hell is why I don't think any game should really be made around an existing intellectual property. The risk for the IP holder, or a disagreement between rights owners and development studios / publishing teams are exactly the reason why that MMOs like that fail. Not the fact that it's perceived as a cash grab, though that doesn't help.

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well, these have already been mentioned so I'll just reiterate...
- Neuromancer, and somebody grow balls and finally make movies (plural!, too much stuff going on for a single movie and I don't wanna get another Johnny Mnemonic) based on it.
- Dune.
- LOTR, if they could restart from Angmar/Moria. Lothlorien and everything after is casualized MMO-lite crap, e.g. I was running around Orthanc pretty much unmolested when I was 9 levels below zone level, and on the other hand trying that in Angmar would get you some serious asskicking.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The Martix, Final Fantasy, Starwars, The Elder Scrolls and Warhammer would all be solid choices to bad they took big shits on those IPs already.
Ffxi is one of the most successful mmorpgs of all time, including the first MMO to be cross platform across 3 platforms (ps2, 360, PC).

Ff14 is good enough that it's not considered a shit.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Chrono Trigger.

Join up to save the multiverse from the Lavos Collective. Team up with reptite ninjas wearing a stealth mecha-frame, robo clerics riding velociraptors, and cavemen shaman as you travel through both time and space to save all of existence from the parasitic race that threatens all of reality. Multiple worlds threatened at multiple timelines; fight Lavos' minions in steaming jungles in the past where dinosaurs roamed, during the dawn of the atomic age, or travel to the far future where entire planets are engulfed by cities.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
One Piece. Make a crazy ass pirate, sail around and have ship customization/naval battles like black flag with traditional mmo stuff on themed islands.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I would like to see some sort of post apocalyptic game that blends medieval fantasy and technology.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Overwatch

I-SEE-WHAT-YOU-DID-THERE_HOLYSHIT.jpg