What is all this "gluten-free" shit?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So basically, if some hippie starts going on about having a gluten allergy, I should call bullshit and stuff their mouth full of wonder bread. Then when they don't die I will look superior to them!
They probably wont die, they will just poop a lot and crap something fierce.
tongue.png

Also I didn't know these were gluten free until I took a closer look at the bag, but these are fuckign delicious.

rrr_img_24491.gif

They clearly aren't good for you as they are Cheetos but it's the only gluten free snack I've ever had that was enjoyable.

tongue.png

rrr_img_24491.gif

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I worked as a server in a restaurant from about 2002 to 2007, and I can remember the first time someone came in and asked if we had any gluten free food. I had never heard of gluten so I had no fucking clue what she was talking about, and the manager and I had to go back into the storage and check the ingredients on a few of our sauces to see if they did, in fact, contain gluten. That was pretty early, around 2002 - 2003 maybe. By the time I quit in 2007, corporate had marked several dishes in the menu as "gluten free" and I was getting questions about dishes without gluten probably once a week on average. So it definitely seems like this whole gluten free thing exploded pretty quickly.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Louis makes an interesting point. If we save all these people that in the old days would have "took sick" and died young and allow them to reproduce, are we dooming our species to become sickly weaklings in the future?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not to mention all the retards who are allowed to survive and possibly breed. Time to bring back eugenics!

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Most people who claim to have a gluten allergy are retarded and deserve to eat shitty gluten free food.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I worked as a server in a restaurant from about 2002 to 2007, and I can remember the first time someone came in and asked if we had any gluten free food. I had never heard of gluten so I had no fucking clue what she was talking about, and the manager and I had to go back into the storage and check the ingredients on a few of our sauces to see if they did, in fact, contain gluten. That was pretty early, around 2002 - 2003 maybe. By the time I quit in 2007, corporate had marked several dishes in the menu as "gluten free" and I was getting questions about dishes without gluten probably once a week on average. So it definitely seems like this whole gluten free thing exploded pretty quickly.
I was a server from 2007-2008 and had 1 person ever ask about glutten. Like you, I had no idea wtf they were talking about, though the chef did.

Outside of the Paleo "reasoning", the "glutten is bad for you" is a weird thought process. When everyone started discovering carbs were the enemy, it was also determined that whole grains were fine, and it was the sugar & refined carbs that were bad. Then suddenly everyone just ignores all that and decides glutten is the enemy? Such a weird turn.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, the whole thing just screams trend to me. The place I went for mother's day had a small section of the permanent menu called "Gluten Friendly" dishes. Which seems like a misnomer or poor phrasing, but I think it meant gluten free. Heard people at other tables explaining this trend to their older family members. /rustled

Gauss_sl

shitlord
Had a cousin pick up a gluten allergy somehow after she had her kid. Don't know the details of what it entailed though. She's not a hippie by any means (rural midwest), so it must be real. On a quasi-related note, not sure if this is an allergy or what, but it seems like when I hit up Chick-fil-A or Chipotle every day like I do when I'm working, I spend a lot more time in the, uh, facilities, than when I go and visit my parents/gf and get home cooked meals. I know next to nothing about health/nutrition.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Doesn't sound like an allergic reaction. Allergic reactions usually involve swelling glands, breaking out, etc.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
I am a waiter and I can tell you exactly when it happened.In 2008 Oprah had doctor Oz on her show.He claimed liked 80% of people are Gluten intolerant. Now "intolerant" means any asshole who farts too much or sometimes gets a stomach ache is "intolerant". So people began self diagnosing almost immediately, the day after that show I had literally 6 different people claim they are gluten intolerant, I had no fucking clue what they were talking about. There is an actual disease that people have talked about called celiac's, these people get huge red rashes and the stomach problems mentioned, they are legit.The rest of these people are douchebags. Also gluten is wheat chafe, when it is ground the outer husk gets ground also and its harder to digest.Most people don't even know what "gluten" is the self diagnosers are notorious for not eating all kinds of shit with no gluten in it.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Oprah: one of the greatest purveyors of misinformation in the history of the world. No hyperbole. Fuck her, seriously. She's a terrible person. I'm pretty sure she was also one of the biggest reasons Jenny McCarthy's autism horseshit has managed to cause over a thousand preventable deaths.
Http://www.Jennymccarthybodycount.com

/rustled

iannis

Musty Nester
Pff. Montel Williams is just high as shit all the time. So is Joe Rogan.

I think half of that list are basically just high functioning wealthy drug addicts!

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pff. Montel Williams is just high as shit all the time. So is Joe Rogan.

I think half of that list are basically just high functioning wealthy drug addicts!
I like Rogan when he's not talking conspiracy theories, so I guess they have a point but he's not as exaggerated and influential as the rest. I also think Bill Maher is a stretch and ranked far higher than the rate at which he actually spreads any pseudoscience to the masses.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
On Thanksgiving every year, one of the houses has a girl that's in her mid twenties that is allergic to Gluten. She ends up not being able to breathe and having bad stomach issues. They don't serve anything with gluten at all. It's kind of shitty, because gluten is in so much good food.. none of which we can have. I can't feel too bad, knowing she'll die.. and I accidentally saw her tits one time (shes my fiances cousin), so I just deal with it.