What is your opinion on GMO plants and products?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
A) Monsanto is out to kill the population
B) They're generally harmless
C) Something in between

What sort of research have you done on the issue?

What is your education background?

rrr_img_49821.jpg

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
They're generally harmless to people, but can be harmful to the environment. I have a Biology degree, and I used to work for Monsanto.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
They are harmless to humans.

Molecular Cell Biology BS and Micro Masters. Work in defense field.

Anyone who thinks they are harmful to humans probably has a BA in African Dance or some shit.

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
But it's not mother nature !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mind much about GMO, I don't believe in the necessity of it and I don't trust Monsanto.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This is a poll, but thanks for the link to the prior post. It provided a bunch of useful content, in the absence of my access to St. Ed's online library.

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
Mainly 99.996% harmless. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology guy here. Taken lots of genetics (ugh!) and plant ecology/botany/etc classes. Don't get me wrong, things like terminator seeds and transference of genes such as BT can be and are a problem but mainly GMO tech is a giant benefit. Always seemed to be that most folks who wig out about GMO last paid attention in a science class in Kindergarten.
/shrug

FiReBReTHa

N00b
People wont pay the cost of that fancy schmancy "organic" fruits and veggies at the store. But then they bitch about non organics being GMO. Pay the cost it takes to be non organic and stfu

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Monsanto and the system that allows it to work the way it does is evil, but GMO isn't. GMO is a more refined version of what we've done for millenia in the domestication of plants. Obligatory poll is flawed, and I had to vote 3 because 1 and 2 are both too broad.

Pumpkin Thief

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm cool with the idea of modifying plants to better resist freezes, and feeding starving people more cheaply etc.

Not so cool with the huge conglomerates who basically control the tech and are so powerful that they no longer reckon their might in terms of $$, but instead in their ability to influence and drive global policies concerning industry procedure and law.

In other words, the idea of benevolent altruistic tinkering for the sake of societal benefit is nice, but as with so many things, when fiscal bottom line policies are the central pretext and the lens through which all things in this paradigm must emerge, it's rarely healthy for the bulk of the human species.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
And they bought Blackwater. I mean you've gotta be up to some serious fuckery if you buy blackwater
Technically, they hired them to infiltrate anti-Monsanto protesting groups rather than outright "bought" them. However, that sounds just about the same in terms of evil.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Personally I don't trust GMOs though I'm not an organic vegan hippie either. The thing that makes me question this the most is Monsanto. Nothing good has come from that company. Considering their reputation, the company they keep (Blackstone) and their history I'm going to stay the fuck away from them. Just give me regular crops grown in artificially fertilized soil and lightly sprinkled with pesticides. I'll take the poison I know than the one I don't, thank you.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mike Dolce (nutrition expert, and dietitian for fighters during camp) says their gonna bring about the zombie apocalypse

Mosanto is legit evil tho. Their linked to 200,000 Indian farmer suicideshttp://www.naturalnews.com/030913_Mo..._suicides.html

And they bought Blackwater. I mean you've gotta be up to some serious fuckery if you buy blackwater
That natural news site is used by anti GMO people all the time to source their ideas on whatever crap they like to believe. Its generally regarded as total shit by most of the debunking and science sites I've browsed.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
imo ppl think monsonto=gmo, when monsonto is just a company gmo and lawyers for evil. I equate monsonto to Apple really, i don't like the ipad mini but i'm buying one for blackfriday anyway cuz i know my wife wants one. besides gmo is in everything, you can't avoid it, unless you hipster live in the mountains.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I watched that Genetic Chile documentary on Netflix. It's kinda shitty that if you end up with GMO chile's in your garden, Monsanto can sue you for infringement.

That said, I'm sure I eat a mix of organic and GMO's, I'm not paying 3$ for a single apple.