What is your opinion on GMO plants and products?

khalid

Unelected Mod
False choice, since I can't pick "Awesome".

My education level is a doctorate in mathematics, which has absolutely fuckall to do with GMOs. However, I have yet to see any legitimate research showing that GMOs are harmful in general. On the other hand they have led to some great advances in agriculture and the campaign against them seems to mainly be based on bullshit.

iannis

Musty Nester
The problem with GMO isn't with GMO itself.

I mean who knows what kind of chiral fuckery winds up being cancerous in 10 years of continuous exposure? Who knows until it happens. Thalidomide babies.

Salt-water legumes are probably worth that risk.

I've got a BA and a BS, so I figure if you add them together I'm probably at least half as smart as khalid.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I'm cool with the idea of modifying plants to better resist freezes, and feeding starving people more cheaply etc.

Not so cool with the huge conglomerates who basically control the tech and are so powerful that they no longer reckon their might in terms of $$, but instead in their ability to influence and drive global policies concerning industry procedure and law.

In other words, the idea of benevolent altruistic tinkering for the sake of societal benefit is nice, but as with so many things, when fiscal bottom line policies are the central pretext and the lens through which all things in this paradigm must emerge, it's rarely healthy for the bulk of the human species.
This. Im not overly worried about gmo I just hate the corporate thievery/bullying that happens with it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Monsanto and the system that allows it to work the way it does is evil, but GMO isn't. GMO is a more refined version of what we've done for millenia in the domestication of plants. Obligatory poll is flawed, and I had to vote 3 because 1 and 2 are both too broad.
Exactly. You go back 20000 years and you won't find anything that looks like modern corn.

Tl;dr youre a oxygen thief if you hate gmos.

Ps Monsanto is no more evil than a lion or bear. Granted they aren't the most lovable corporation, but they aren't doing anything that the government isn't letting them.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The point is that Monsanto is evil because it knows what it's doing is ethically wrong, who cares if the government lets them? And then they further reinforce that decision by using their lobbying power to block government regulation of their fucked up actions.

Lions just gonna lion.

Just because the government is letting them doesn't mean we should be okay with it and or support it. Now i say this while doing fuckall to stop it or any real personal vested interest in it other then I find their practices morally disgusting

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I provided several scientific journal articles to a particular person, then they flat out said, "I'm not going to bother reading that, I don't trust anything that is designed to have pesticide in it," and I said fuck it, I'm out. Told them thanks for letting me know not to waste my time ever speaking to them again. *removed* Unrelated, but related, I have one other acquaintance of mine that loves the shit out of the "contrail conspiracy", and I won't even bother with that person. I know better.

I wrote a Biology term paper on GMO's; teacher awarded my paper a 100. Shocked the hell out of me.... Though I had access to hundreds upon hundreds of pages of test results. Comparing the amino profile of cattle that were fed different variations of their "safe" corn. Each had varying levels of aminos, typically out of the norm from regular corn, though the primary variant was damn close. No increased risk for cancer, or other issues. The only time this occurred, is when rats were fed other, unapproved versions during their extensive testing phases. The renal failure issues were tied to experiments where they injected way-the-fuck-more RoundUp than the rats would ever be exposed to, in 20 lifetimes. Monsanto runs thousands of test experiments on each of their products. Kind of made me realize why they were trying to control their product -- it's just like Microsoft, if Microsoft were trying to revise an Open Source product and resell it. Errrr, ok, so more like RedHat. In general, it seemed as though insect infestation was *much* more of a risk than GMO.

Also, NaturalNews.com is one of those hippie-fuck websites with its own anti-GMO, pro-organic agenda. I much prefer scientific journals where the author bothers to cite legitimate sources.

*Edit: My Biology teacher happened to be one of those hippie's, still gave me the grade, and I altered her perception with my neutron bomb worth of supportive data.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I support GMO's and think they'll eventually be required to support the human population; that said, Monsanto is pretty fucked up.

Also, read "The Windup Girl" and look to the future!

(I have a degree in English, work in the military, and have no idea what I'm talking about; feelings and stuff.)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Also, Monsanto got its ass shelved regarding its suit practices regarding crops that were cross-pollinated by Monsanto plants. Any previous cases were reverted, and the affected parties refunded/rewarded by Monsanto.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Ps Monsanto is no more evil than a lion or bear. Granted they aren't the most lovable corporation, but they aren't doing anything that the government isn't letting them.

Problem is that the "government" isn't exactly run by the people who build your constitution either. Freedom for the people and keeping the peoples interests in mind have been long lost in the dollar amounts given by lobbyists from organizations. More laws are written by and for corporations now than by and for the people.

I'd trust Monsanto as much as I would any large corporate bank. Initial transactions they do with you are benign, but they also will gladly destroy you, your friends and family and entire nation if it will raise their stock prices by 1 cent.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
The regulatory bodies that are supposed to watch companies like Monsanto openly work for Monsanto. They created a new position for a Monsanto appointee so he could exercise power over food labeling across the country to prevent GM labels from appearing.

Taylor's position, which is currently deputy commissioner for foods at the FDA, includes ensuring that food labels contain clear and accurate information, overseeing strategy for food safety and planning new food safety legislation.He is the first individual to hold the position.

Before he joined the FDA, Taylor was the vice president for Public Policy at Monsanto from 1998 to 2001. He has since worked for the FDA in a number of capacities, most recently returning to the administration as senior adviser to the commissioner in July 2009.
Monsanto petition tells Obama: - WorldViews - The Washington Post

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
The regulatory bodies that are supposed to watch companies like Monsanto openly work for Monsanto. They created a new position for a Monsanto appointee so he could exercise power over food labeling across the country to prevent GM labels from appearing.

Yeah, ties between the FDA and Monsanto are almost as disturbing as the ties between Goldman Sachs and the branches within the US government that are tied to your economics.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That's probably true across the americas, but I think Europe is a lot less down with GMO, right?
yea i think europa has a pretty hard gmo grocery crackdown, but they can't stop like ground wheat flour made from gmo that goes into taco's. they probably just want to "give" them a choice or whatever happens there, but all the premade taco shells and bread i'm sure are gmo'd from the ingredients.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>

Exactly. Monsanto does what it does entirely due to a shitty government.
Problem is that the "government" isn't exactly run by the people who build your constitution either. Freedom for the people and keeping the peoples interests in mind have been long lost in the dollar amounts given by lobbyists from organizations. More laws are written by and for corporations now than by and for the people.

I'd trust Monsanto as much as I would any large corporate bank. Initial transactions they do with you are benign, but they also will gladly destroy you, your friends and family and entire nation if it will raise their stock prices by 1 cent.
And whose fault is that? Unless you think Monsanto controls every branch of government at every level. Hold politicians accountable and shit like this doesnt happen.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Personally I don't trust GMOs though I'm not an organic vegan hippie either. The thing that makes me question this the most is Monsanto. Nothing good has come from that company. Considering their reputation, the company they keep (Blackstone) and their history I'm going to stay the fuck away from them. Just give me regular crops grown in artificially fertilized soil and lightly sprinkled with pesticides. I'll take the poison I know than the one I don't, thank you.
I don't have a problem with people who have a problem with Monsanto. They've done plenty of shady things, no question.

But can you give me any scientific basis in terms of actual research that causes you to distrust GMO foods? Or explain to me why GMO foods are potentially worse than say, mutagenically bred plants (whether through chemicals or radiation), which by the way make up a huge amount of our food supply and have never been shown to be harmful in any way. To me, selective genetics >>>>> random chemically/radiologically induced mutations, yet everyone draws the line at GMO while being either completely fine or (far more likely) completely ignorant about how much of their natural and/or organic was actually created.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
I don't have a problem with people who have a problem with Monsanto. They've done plenty of shady things, no question.

But can you give me any scientific basis in terms of actual research that causes you to distrust GMO foods? Or explain to me why GMO foods are potentially worse than say, mutagenically bred plants (whether through chemicals or radiation), which by the way make up a huge amount of our food supply and have never been shown to be harmful in any way. To me, selective genetics >>>>> random chemically/radiologically induced mutations, yet everyone draws the line at GMO while being either completely fine or (far more likely) completely ignorant about how much of their natural and/or organic was actually created.
You cant, people who think GMOs are unhealthy/evil are god damn morons. Weve been genetically modifying food for tens of thousands of years.