What kills multiplayer games

yersinia

Lord Nagafen Raider
Many of you are more experienced than I but it seems to me eq1 started with wonder, danger, and risk of loss. Eventually it became a chore. EQ2 started the same way. Can remember sitting and talking to folks in game. was fun. it eventually moved to a joyless grind with increasingly rarer rewards. Is WOW taking the same path? Grinding 6 toons for codex rep, and doesnt seem much fun atm

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
14 days? I give this one 14 minutes before Amod Amod gets the killing blow.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

kroenen

Regimen Morum
mac and me falling GIF

• 7Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 8 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Because games are no longer about making as fun and enjoyable experiences as possible,it's about maximizing engagement to get you to buy that lootbox.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Many of you are more experienced than I but it seems to me eq1 started with wonder, danger, and risk of loss. Eventually it became a chore. EQ2 started the same way. Can remember sitting and talking to folks in game. was fun. it eventually moved to a joyless grind with increasingly rarer rewards. Is WOW taking the same path? Grinding 6 toons for codex rep, and doesnt seem much fun atm
Did you know that the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV has a free trial, and includes the entirety of A Realm Reborn AND the award-winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 with no restrictions on playtime?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Repetitiveness, resetting gear each expansion, doing the same things every day/week. It becomes a job at some point, where you’re just going through the motions.

Just try a new one. FFXIV. Lost Ark in a few months. Learning classes and mechanics and going through story lines the first time can be fun. Once you’re logging in cause you feel like you have to, move on.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

We got old.

The End.

• 8Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
TBH what kills them is when they lose their sense of wonder. Once people have seen it all, the games just aren't interesting anymore. Then add in the heavy repetition that a lot of MMOs fall into and they just aren't something that people want to spend time on.

I've never played FFXIV and that's on my list, but how is ESO? I love the ES series and that world. Also need to check out LOTRO but I've been saying that for like 7 years.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FFXIV is the only game that counts that I have not tried. I want to but the game has been out a long time and I was really hoping to enjoy a new game. New World failed in its current incarnation. Now I am trying to figure out what to play.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
FFXIV is the only game that counts that I have not tried. I want to but the game has been out a long time and I was really hoping to enjoy a new game. New World failed in its current incarnation. Now I am trying to figure out what to play.
FFXIV is free. Just try it while you try to figure out the next one. Maybe it’ll just click, never know!

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The different expectations from different players. A million players want a million different things and companies do their best to cater to the largest crowd possible. Of course even that large crowd is a minority of players so most of the player base quit the game. It then becomes a perception issue, everyone will talk about how the game is 'dying' and more players will leave. A new game will launch, players will rush to it, it will be the new hot thing for a week before the company goes through the same process.

• 1Like