What Made EQ Great? Tell your stories to a filthy casual

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
And an honorary #4 when people in WoW would say DING when they leveled. Bitch that is OUR word.
What about when they would say "please PST!"

Or when a Wizard/Druid would say "tips/donations accepted". This flat out meant you HAD to pay them to travel. They wouldn't do it for free. They should have outright said "charging x for ports." Donations accepted is some pussy shit.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People who got mad when you inspected them without asking annoyed me.
I ran into this the other day on Mac server and just eyerolled. I inspected the guy and written in the bio section was "Did you ask? Because its rude not to!". Tards.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
People who got mad when you inspected them without asking annoyed me.
It's funny, I started in 99 on a pvp server and it was pretty standard practice to ask before inspecting. When I moved to a pve server people thought I was bizarre for asking to inspect, but it was habit by then. A lot of pve people didn't realize that randomly inspecting someone in early EQ pvp was essentially window shopping their gear to determine if they were worth killing.

Sterling

El Presidente
I ran into this the other day on Mac server and just eyerolled. I inspected the guy and written in the bio section was "Did you ask? Because its rude not to!". Tards.
Pretty sure there was an option to turn off inspect messages if it bothered you. Unless that was something added later on.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty sure there was an option to turn off inspect messages if it bothered you. Unless that was something added later on.
I do rememebr that option as well. To be fair, 99% of my inspections are accidental by using mouselook.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm pretty sure the ability to turn off the inspect message was added later on.

Flinger

Lord Nagafen Raider
What was the deal between Krurk vs Furor and then Krurk going over to LoS? Wasn't there some leadup to Krurk joining LoS where Tigs was calling him "the swordsman" or some shit in updates?

Also, someone earlier asked about Lorb Bob. Was there ever any explanation about the long ass name?

Xevy

Log Wizard
How has no one mentioned this was like the ONE MMO that first person view felt 'right' with?

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I played EQ in first person all the way up until Rift launched. I played that for like 3 months and could never play EQ w/o third person again.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
As a Wizard, I used 3rd person all the time. Mainly for quad kiting, though. It helped me easily keep track of the mobs I was killing and target the ones that broke free of snare.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
On my Cleric I played first person (and was typically staring at the ground most fights). On my wizard I jumped between first and third quite a bit. As Xarpolis says, it's a lot easier to quad that way.

Xevy

Log Wizard
As my druid I used shifted 3rd person to quad kite as well, (forest giants and ice wyverns especially), but as my warrior I found first person was a great way to check your aggro radius around corners when pulling shit.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
What made EQ great was the community and complete ignorance of everyone involved. No one shared raid strats because of the non-instanced content, and if you went online for information (even up to Velious) what you found was either incomplete or straight wrong. Being part of the brain trust of your guild coming up with strats is really, really fun and something that no longer exists in games.

The lack of information and experience allowed the developers get away with so much bullshit. When things were broken they were "working as intended". When stuff didn't exist in game, random people would lie to you about how it was in game and a friend of a friend swears it exists. For someone with a lot of free time that created opportunities for you to waste time "exploring" things that weren't there.

What made EQ great was the people you played with and the fact it was the only game around to play. As soon as better options were available you lost touch with people and the community fractured into dozens of games.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I changed my camera often and on-the-fly based on whatever I was doing. In raids and group fights I would use 3rd person to track adds/group members/etc. If I was playing a mesmer it was almost required to use 3rd person to track all the mobs. 1st person was better for melee combat and when I would be pulling on my monk. 1st person allowed better control imo. When I FD'd I would use 3rd person though to see everything around me.

nawcor

Lord Nagafen Raider
When I played my warrior I would use first person sometimes, but mostly third person to try and see around corners when pulling. Anything that required kiting was always third person, so much easier.