What Made EQ Great? Tell your stories to a filthy casual

fucking half the things on my list were negative toward my character, but they were still awesome and memorable.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh yeah, some other shit:

Deleted my ex-guild's entire website. They tried to sue me LOL. Website told them to suck it up, start over.
Somehow warping into that hidden room with all the fucking kitten walls and not being able to get out. I'm pretty sure I was in Highkeep Basement when it happened.
Training Plane of Valor and seeing a GM suddenly appear and getting a week suspension.
Killing a GM during a GM event when he specifically said not to attack him.
Training Tallon onto a Vallon Zek raid.
Trioing LDoN dungeons as a Warrior, Shaman, and Rogue in our 20/30/40s. That shit was pretty fun, not going to lie.
Duels in the Bazaar Arena, cause that's where all the cool kids hung out. As geared and AA'd out my BL was, he didn't stand a chance against any decent SK. Those guys were fucking ridiculous. Good Necros were tough to beat too.
The retarded ass names GoD mobs and named had. What the fuck was that about? Also, that shit and the expansion after that, WHY DID EVERYTHING HIT LIKE A FUCKING TRUCK?! Went from soloing named in PoE and BoT and PoF to fucking getting my ass reamed by a regular mob in GoD.

vGrade

Potato del Grande

Deleted my ex-guild's entire website. They tried to sue me LOL. Website told them to suck it up, start over.
Somehow warping into that hidden room with all the fucking kitten walls and not being able to get out. I'm pretty sure I was in Highkeep Basement when it happened.
Training Plane of Valor and seeing a GM suddenly appear and getting a week suspension.
Trioing LDoN dungeons as a Warrior, Shaman, and Rogue in our 20/30/40s. That shit was pretty fun, not going to lie.
Duels in the Bazaar Arena, cause that's where all the cool kids hung out. As geared and AA'd out my BL was, he didn't stand a chance against any decent SK. Those guys were fucking ridiculous. Good Necros were tough to beat too.
The retarded ass names GoD mobs and named had. What the fuck was that about? Also, that shit and the expansion after that, WHY DID EVERYTHING HIT LIKE A FUCKING TRUCK?! Went from soloing named in PoE and BoT and PoF to fucking getting my ass reamed by a regular mob in GoD.
Sounds like you were a dick

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
GMs seemed to have a way more active role in the game.

Or at least liked to bullshit with the players.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
fucking half the things on my list were negative toward my character, but they were still awesome and memorable.
+1

Excellent point , it's the dead opposite of today's design.

Running smack into the bitch of an undercon Dorn in North Ro who promptly trashed me was actually amusing.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sounds like you were a dick
I was. I was also a 12 year old behind a computer who felt invincible, and was given entirely too much gear for my own good lol.

Eventually they completely destroyed my account. None of my characters exist anymore, and I can't log in to my account even on the website. I'd been suspended too many times, and I think the last straw was when they caught me using MySEQ and other hacks. But I transferred to one of the Zeks at that point, and it was impossible to do anything without those hacks cause everyone else on the server used them as well.

Lammy_sl

shitlord
I liked meaningful camps, keys, items, epics, and progression. I liked that my skills were unique to my class. I'd say the friendships were genuine. Even when i was recruited Xserver I wouldnt move unless a few of my long term EQ friends came with me. Gearing was strategic and when you got the item it was an accomplishment. The encounters were epic, and every zone unique in its own way. It's slower paced at times, but it allows for more methodical game play.

Try P99. I think it's pretty fun. I can't speak from experience, but if you grew up on wow you're probably fucked.

rolx_sl

shitlord
Death penalty #1.

#2 Destroying so much primal because we were full up and knowing that 1000's of people would give their left nut for one of them gives you a ultimate sense of i'm better than you. Turning in hearts for quest armor pieces that other people needed for keys just to enter the zone.

#3 Guild wiping in fear pre kunark and trying all night to get corpses back and failing. Then the guild leader saying fuck this shit everyone be on a 7EST we are going back fucking in on a monday morning. Epic.

#4 Getting phone calls at 4am that a raid mob has spawned. Epic.

rolx_sl

shitlord

Dude fuck I remember that shit at the tourney in lake rathe. There was a GM in PVP area and we did tells to everyone in zone that when it was over we were all going to rape the GM, and we fucking killed him. EPIC!

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Having 10-15 people go Ogre illusion in Plane of Growth and stand in a row to form our own wall in the middle of the field so we could tank Tunare in our player-made "corner".

Oh that and also using the Ogre illusion with a few other guildies to block off the tunnel entrance in Plane of Tranq that led to the stones to Drunder/etc. so competing guilds could not zone in.

God I miss collision detection sometimes.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Nostalgia seen through rose colored glasses. EQ had a lot of dumb shit in it that was utterly retarded and required very little skill for the vast majority of people who played it.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You want to know what made EQ great? The friends I made over the years(3?) because I didn't rush to max level. Those online friends are the online friends I really cherish and still keep in contact with(well I tried). We went through a lot together and a lot of late nights. I miss them now that we grew apart. If you still read these forums don't be afraid to pm me!
smile.png

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
GMs seemed to have a way more active role in the game.

Or at least liked to bullshit with the players.
Yeah the first couple of years they definitely were. Seemed to die off late Kunark though. But that reminds me of one time I had a group going with my Troll guild camping the croc in Guk and a GM snuck in invis and took off all of our pants. I remember one guy saying I think I'm bugged cause I dont see anyones pants, and then everyone else realizing they actually didn't have any. Then the GM shouted caught you with your pants down or something silly. His name was Crazeco which i guess was fitting. He BSed with us for a bit then left. Which I still had those screen shots.

Daedricdigger_sl

shitlord
My friend and I started in beta. It was awesome being able to see people like Aradune, Zatkin, Jalen, and Kendrick. One time we were trying to go from Qeynos to Freeport and it started raining. We lost visibility because of the rain so we decided to wait in one of the guard towers. I don't think I have felt the same type of immersion in any game again. Also that feeling of getting jboots in Najena after waiting in line for hours.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I miss having different servers for people with different interests. Ex: I enjoyed hardcore xp loss PVP with griefing permitted... And 1 character per account. And SOE catered to our small subset community.

As a Mage I enjoyed learning to solo a new dangerous area not designed to be soloed or unable to be done by other classes (ex: neriak 3rd zone, the kunark dungeon with the goblins)... I enjoyed spending 10 hours in the field of bone harvesting bone chips just so I could walk through cabilis as a human (faction warfare that isn't intrinsically supported by the in-game faction system) I enjoyed that people carved out their own territories and held it by force. Sanctuaries or w/e they were called in EQ Plane of knowledge/bazaar nexus ruined that.

I miss running across random other people in dungeons... Instancing sucks.