Poll What Size of Community Do You Live In?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

What size of community do you live in?

• Rural pop. 1-1,000

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Small Town pop. 1,001-10,000

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • Town pop. 10,001-25,000

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Small City pop. 25,001-150,000

Votes: 47 24.5%
  • City pop. 150,001-500,000

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • Large City pop 500,001-1,000,000

Votes: 19 9.9%
  • Urban Metropolitan Hellscape 1,000,001+

Votes: 35 18.2%

• Total voters

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Watching the politics thread and seeing the predominant opinions there, and knowing that this board skews wealthy, I'm curious to see what size of community people live in.

For the sake of science I excluded a tomato option. Feel free to neg Tuco to offset this injustice.

EDIT: I'm also curious if you're planning on moving to a larger or smaller community in the future. Why or why not?

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I live in a city with 400k people or so, I'm trying to transition to a small town to a small city that's more rural. People here are getting batty and I want as much distance as I can get from these maniacs. To give an example of what I'm trying to get away from, I had a friend's daughter who's maybe 10 have a "trans education" class where she was told that girls who are masculine/tom boyish might be trans. She immediately came home and proudly announced she was really a boy and wanted to start binding her chest. My friend then gets worried that she's becoming confused, asks the school to recommend a psychologist. They take the kid and after the first session both Parents ask what the best way is to nip this in the bud as she's clearly just going through a tom boy phase. They were told straight up if the child chooses to transition and they prevent it, the psychologist would consider that child abuse and report it which could lead to them losing their kid. Now they're stuck seeing somebody who clearly doesn't have the child's best interest at heart and if they attempt to stop could end up battling to keep their kid.

As a father of a young daughter I can't be far enough away from this shit.

Edit: I would be considered the top 10% for Canada.

• 5Rustled
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2WTF
Reactions: 9 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
For the longest time I lived 10 miles out of "town". The population sign there said 225 if you drove thru west to east. 300 if you drove thru east to west.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Molten Core Raider
Currently in a "small town", hoping eventually to be able to relocate to a more rural area (even less humans), closer to work, but At this age, we are probably best off staying where we are.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I live in a city with 400k people or so, I'm trying to transition to a small town to a small city that's more rural. People here are getting batty and I want as much distance as I can get from these maniacs. To give an example of what I'm trying to get away from, I had a friend's daughter who's maybe 10 have a "trans education" class where she was told that girls who are masculine/tom boyish might be trans. She immediately came home and proudly announced she was really a boy and wanted to start binding her chest. My friend then gets worried that she's becoming confused, asks the school to recommend a psychologist. They take the kid and after the first session both Parents ask what the best way is to nip this in the bud as she's clearly just going through a tom boy phase. They were told straight up if the child chooses to transition and they prevent it, the psychologist would consider that child abuse and report it which could lead to them losing their kid. Now they're stuck seeing somebody who clearly doesn't have the child's best interest at heart and if they attempt to stop could end up battling to keep their kid.

As a father of a young daughter I can't be far enough away from this shit.

Edit: I would be considered the top 10% for Canada.

HRM?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I live in a suburb of Ft Lauderdale that's just under 100,000 people. That said, my county is pretty large at just under 2 million people. I voted 'small city'.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

What is the criteria to "live in" - my "city" that I pay my taxes to is mid size, but the county I live is near 1+M and I often travel between all the major "cities" of that county weekly..

iannis

Musty Nester
Immediately smallish city (suburbia has grown a lot), but the lush metropolis of Raleigh is a short drive away.

I mostly avoid Raleigh.

When the farmers around here die it might be time to move. As of now i'm surrounded by cows... but in 15 years I do not expect that to be true.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, I live in the Halifax Regional Municipality which is technically a city, but it was formed by just amalgamating several areas into Halifax. It's ~400k people, but I live in one of the smaller areas. It's hard to accurately vote on this.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Sub 4k people, but they are developing and expanding all over place and are building a fast food/coffee place so it's time to start thinking about moving but not for another 6 or 7 years.

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I live in a tiny ass town in the smallest county in TN both in population and actual land area. While I hold many extremely conservative positions personally, my politics are 100% libertarian in the sense that the state is always a last resort for anything, and they absolutely cannot be trusted to legislate morality, and thus why we have all the problems we have as of late.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have lived in all of these categories in my lifetime. I'm currently in the 150-500k range. I think I like it best. There is enough going on that you can find the arts, sports, and so forth. You can also drive 10 minutes and have a huge property that feels isolated. I spent a lot of my growing up years in the first two categories, and it sucks for kids.

• 1WTF

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You should really have an option for a smaller city that is a suburb of a major metropolitan area. Living in Pleasanton, CA (pop 70K) on the outskirts of the SF bay area is pretty different from living in Great Falls, MT (pop 60k) with nothing bigger within 100 miles of it, or would you consider Pleasanton part of the urban metropolitan hellscape?

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Yeah I moved from a "town" of 225 to a subrub of 2,000 that butted up against the city limits of a town of 1.5 million. Life was kind of the same. Average income of my neighbors went up about 20 fold.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Watching the politics thread and seeing the predominant opinions there, and knowing that this board skews wealthy, I'm curious to see what size of community people live in.

For the sake of science I excluded a tomato option. Feel free to neg Tuco to offset this injustice.

EDIT: I'm also curious if you're planning on moving to a larger or smaller community in the future. Why or why not?

Depends.

I live in St. Louis County (3+ million) which is quite large geographically and completely surrounds St. Louis City which is actually quite small (300k). The two taken together look on a political map like Pac-Man swallowing a Pellet.

However St. Louis County is subdivided into over 55+ separate Municipalities. Most of them have their own Government, Police, and Fire. In the most technical sense I live in one of these 55 municipalities with a population of approx 15,000. But put in context I also only live about a 10 minute drive from the downtown central area of St. Louis City proper although not technically inside it. However in a more zoomed-out context it can be said that I live in 'The Greater St. Louis Metropolitan Region' of which we approach around 4 million in total population if you combine the City and the County as one entity conceptually, although they are completely separate politically.

You could address a letter to my house using my municipality as my City or using 'St. Louis' as my City. Although the former would be technically correct, the latter would still result in the letter arriving at my house.

All in all, I am culturally and in my heart a 'St. Louisan' even though I cannot vote for its Mayor. Given that, I went ahead and voted for the 1+ million option. Even though the Small Town option is technically on paper correct, it doesn't really represent the info you're after... I don't think.

• 1Like

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Some areas that surround cities get dominated by the culture and events that happen in that city. Other areas are more than happy to pretend that the city they are in close proximity to doesn't actually exist. I live two towns over from Springfield, MA and it's incredibly easy to forget that place exists on a daily basis. Once in a while I have to go in there for work. The trick is to arrive very early and leave just after lunch. It's like that book... you know the one with the vampires and the guy...

"On those cloudy days, Robert Neville was never sure when sunset came, and sometimes they were in the streets before he could get back."

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i mean, it's largely dependent on location right? i've found that the best time to shop for groceries is on sunday morning cuz everyone is in church.

• 1Like