Poll What Size of Community Do You Live In?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

What size of community do you live in?

• Rural pop. 1-1,000

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Small Town pop. 1,001-10,000

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • Town pop. 10,001-25,000

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Small City pop. 25,001-150,000

Votes: 47 24.5%
  • City pop. 150,001-500,000

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • Large City pop 500,001-1,000,000

Votes: 19 9.9%
  • Urban Metropolitan Hellscape 1,000,001+

Votes: 35 18.2%

• Total voters

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Montana and Central Oregon have the best skies I've been under. Central oregon has it year round, too.

I'm back at the wind farm trying to dodge rainstorms today. This is what our sky will look like until May. Winter here is the only thing I don't like.

20191215_094935.jpg

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Did some thatching/mowing/fertilizing all day Friday, took my older sister to some ranch and antique stores all day Saturday, and did a little hillbilly photoshoot for my younger sister and some construction projects yesterday. Sore af today, but currently out sitting on my ass and drone mapping a vineyard today. Man I love this time of year out in the sticks.

Screenshot_20210412-111048_Gallery.jpg

Younger sister is stuck in Virginia and feeling homesick right now, so she asked for a bunch of family pictures for her birthday.
20210412_111007.jpg

20210412_111405.jpg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
For 15 years I lived 10 minutes from a town of 225 and worked at home remotely. Nearest walmart and McDonalds was 45 minutes away. Guessing you can't get that far away now.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
For 15 years I lived 10 minutes from a town of 225 and worked at home remotely. Nearest walmart and McDonalds was 45 minutes away. Guessing you can't get that far away now.

South Arkansas has places like that

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Almost identical to me but that was in Missouri. The places still exist.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I can see AR, spent some time there hunting in various areas and hiking/backpacking in the ozarks and Ouachita mountains.

When I lived there a number of years ago the population was 225. It had a regional bank (now closed), post office (now closed), auto parts store (now closed), cafe (now closed), gas station (now closed), feed store (not sure), and little convenience like store you could buy milk or whatever (still there I think), and a sizable school that got 1/2 the county that had to ride in 1/2 an hour away or however long.

When I lived there someone robbed the bank, cops caught them pretty soon. Idiots ran out of gas before they could make it to the next town to get gas so they found them on the highway shoulder out of gas lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm 50 miles from walmart and mcdonald's. That's if you go West. If you go north, south, or east there's not a Walmart within 100 miles. There's 14 total Walmart stores in Montana and only 2 in the eastern half of the state. North Dakota has 13, South Dakota has 20. The northern prairie is still not at all crowded.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm 50 miles from walmart and mcdonald's. That's if you go West. If you go north, south, or east there's not a Walmart within 100 miles. There's 14 total Walmart stores in Montana and only 2 in the eastern half of the state. North Dakota has 13, South Dakota has 20. The northern prairie is still not at all crowded.
How far are you from Yellowstone? I am working up a trip either this or (probably) next summer. I can use some advice.

Goatface

I'm 50 miles from walmart and mcdonald's.

what is it like for small stores/gas stations? one of my aunts lived up in the mountains like 40 mins from the nearest "real" store. there were houses with vending machines on the porch and locked refrigerators with milk and meat. some had gas in cans too.

when i was young, she told us kids to walk down to the soandso's store, it turned out to be a gravel floor stand alone garage/shack.

sizable school that got 1/2 the county that had to ride in 1/2 an hour away or however long.

a county near me has a county school, the longest bus ride is 70-80mins.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
How far are you from Yellowstone? I am working up a trip either this or (probably) next summer. I can use some advice.

Go through the Beartooth pass from Montana into the park. It's spectacular. And if you have time for a small side trip while going over the pass, do the East Rosebud lake trail. It's absolutely stunning.

And if you're camping in Yellowstone, book a long, long time in advance. The back country sites are best, you don't see any other people. You do have to walk in for anywhere from 1 to 10 kilometers.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Go through the Beartooth pass from Montana into the park. It's spectacular. And if you have time for a small side trip while going over the pass, do the East Rosebud lake trail. It's absolutely stunning.

And if you're camping in Yellowstone, book a long, long time in advance. The back country sites are best, you don't see any other people. You do have to walk in for anywhere from 1 to 10 kilometers.
Was thinking of spending 4-5 days in Cody at a ranch there and doing day trips into the various parts of the park. That is my first idea.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Was thinking of spending 4-5 days in Cody at a ranch there and doing day trips into the various parts of the park. That is my first idea.

It's a big park, driving to the different sections of it take time. I don't know how early you can get into the park, or at what time you have to leave if you aren't staying. Plan accordingly.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
what is it like for small stores/gas stations? one of my aunts lived up in the mountains like 40 mins from the nearest "real" store. there were houses with vending machines on the porch and locked refrigerators with milk and meat. some had gas in cans too.

when i was young, she told us kids to walk down to the soandso's store, it turned out to be a gravel floor stand alone garage/shack.

There's not much of that around here either. When you get into North Dakota it's more farming country and there's more little towns with like a cafe, bar, gas station, church etc. There's nothing between me and the town with the walmart. About 35 miles east there's a small community of about 150 but all that's there is a bar and a couple churches and a school. Kids from my neighborhood tend to go there for school. 12 miles past that there's a town of about 1800 that has all the basic stores but no big retailers or anything. Here's it's all cattle ranches and it's very common to go 80 or 100 miles between gas stations. Ranchers that live near the highway get people who don't expect that coming in and begging for gas pretty commonly.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
There's not much of that around here either. When you get into North Dakota it's more farming country and there's more little towns with like a cafe, bar, gas station, church etc. There's nothing between me and the town with the walmart. About 35 miles east there's a small community of about 150 but all that's there is a bar and a couple churches and a school. Kids from my neighborhood tend to go there for school. 12 miles past that there's a town of about 1800 that has all the basic stores but no big retailers or anything. Here's it's all cattle ranches and it's very common to go 80 or 100 miles between gas stations. Ranchers that live near the highway get people who don't expect that coming in and begging for gas pretty commonly.
i want to go there 30 rock GIF

• 1Like