What vehicle do you drive?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Audi e-tron GT quattro Premium Plus: $99,900

Audi e-tron GT quattro Prestige: $107,100

Audi RS e-tron GT: $139,900

Sigh, I was really hoping it would be 75k. It will be interesting to see what their lease rates will be. I've heard people are getting 10% off MSRP on Audis these days, but might not be with these models. Also I take it there's a 7.5K tax credit.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Sigh, I was really hoping it would be 75k. It will be interesting to see what their lease rates will be. I've heard people are getting 10% off MSRP on Audis these days, but might not be with these models. Also I take it there's a 7.5K tax credit.
My guess is they are pulling some stuff out of each Taycan Model, so the Premium Plus is the 4S, the GT Quattro is the Turbo, and the RS e-tron GT is the Turbo S. But it'll be lacking some features, or options, so that when you option it similarly to the Taycan it'll be similar in price.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
With the plaid model S on sale, I wonder when all the anti-tesla car rags will stop putting in every single story that the Model S can't do repeated launches, etc... lol

And they never mention the model 3... wonder why

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not sold on them either, but primarily for reasons related to limited distance before recharge-- it's just a limitation that's unnecessary when gas vehicles are available. That being said, I almost never take road trips or drive long distances, so it doesn't really matter, and I rarely keep a car beyond it's warranty date, so reliability or battery longevity doesn't really matter. This Audi simply represents the first electric vehicle that doesn't look "electric" or boring to me (it looks fantastic), with a cool interior that doesn't totally dispose a traditional interior for a Tesla style autopilot spaceship. Been looking for something to trade my 2018 S5 in for, and this may be it.

Agree on all points. It's a good looking car. But, the initial outlay of cost, the longevity unknowns, and the limited range are all knocks against it for me. Why get this Audi when I could spend the same amount and get an RS6 Avant, which I love. The only way electric cars can make sense is if the range can reliably be 450-500 miles in all weather conditions PLUS the charging can get you a couple hundred miles in under 10 minutes PLUS humans stop being ridiculous consumers and keep a vehicle for more than an average of 3.5 years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Tesla's can do 400 miles on a single charge, and about 200 miles on a 30-minute charge. If they can get charging down to less than 5 minutes, that when I'm sold.

• 1Solidarity

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
With the plaid model S on sale, I wonder when all the anti-tesla car rags will stop putting in every single story that the Model S can't do repeated launches, etc... lol

And they never mention the model 3... wonder why
My issues with Tesla have nothing to do with performance or the electric powertrain for the most part. They are:
1) Dated styling
2) total lack of mechanical/analog controls
3) fit and finish issues

Agree on all points. It's a good looking car. But, the initial outlay of cost, the longevity unknowns, and the limited range are all knocks against it for me. Why get this Audi when I could spend the same amount and get an RS6 Avant, which I love. The only way electric cars can make sense is if the range can reliably be 450-500 miles in all weather conditions PLUS the charging can get you a couple hundred miles in under 10 minutes PLUS humans stop being ridiculous consumers and keep a vehicle for more than an average of 3.5 years.

Yeah, the RS6 Avant is definitely a sweet ride and at a similar price point. I just don't like the wagon aspect..

IMHO, this GT is now the nicest looking Audi, and certainly the nicest looking electric out there. Personally I think it looks nicer than the Taycan.

• 1Like

Ark

Trakanon Raider
Tesla's can do 400 miles on a single charge, and about 200 miles on a 30-minute charge. If they can get charging down to less than 5 minutes, that when I'm sold.
It's not super accurate on mileage for highway driving. My wife's car says 322 at full charge, and we can't even go 205 without stopping for a charge. That is going 75-80 mph on 75 north/south. But like you said charging is making great improvements. Her car is an absolute badass daily commuter though.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Meanwhile I'm sitting here impatient as fuck for my F type seller to be back in state, worst part is then waiting to get the wrap removed and PPF/Ceramic'd. 1-2 more weeks.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
It's not super accurate on mileage for highway driving. My wife's car says 322 at full charge, and we can't even go 205 without stopping for a charge. That is going 75-80 mph on 75 north/south. But like you said charging is making great improvements. Her car is an absolute badass daily commuter though.
This is true, but then the range is understated for city driving or hypermiling. For pure interstate travel, you want to set the cruise between 70-75 and then charge just enough to get to the next stop. My model 3 is about 310 miles full charge (2019 M3P) and I've gotten between 260-290 miles on highway (back and forth to Austin from Dallas) depending on my cruise speed, temperature outside (ironically warmer is better) and whether there's a lot of traffic. More traffic = better efficiency since you're essentially drafting the cars in front of you. Set it on autopilot and follow the cars and you'll get down in that cool 240-260wh/mi range.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
2004 Ford Focus with less than 100,000 miles on it. Not planning on getting a new one anytime soon.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
2004 Ford Focus with less than 100,000 miles on it. Not planning on getting a new one anytime soon.

2004 VW Golf I have owned since 2008 with 130k on it! I have been wanting a truck lately but it would spend most of the time garaged anyway.

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
My wife decided to test out the steel front bumper by taking out a stop sign and a country fence post. Her first time driving on ice.

Looks like the bumper has paid for itself already.

signal-2021-02-11-142232_001.jpeg signal-2021-02-11-142232_002.jpeg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Or, ya know...never drive on ice?
Not an option in other states, but correct tires and any driving ability is needed. But Texas kinda illustrated that with the recent national news crash. We also kill a few Texans every year on our slopes. Maybe Texans and winter don't mix.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Seems to be a theme, so here's my cheap-skate 2002 with 90k miles on ice.

20210127_123530.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Basically a $2000 cheaper hybrid Honda Accord with 7-8 more mpg. It's really not a bad vehicle.... but.. wildly different from any of those other vehicles he listed.
Well, I am in between phases of my life.

I had the F-250 because I liked to do building projects as a hobby. I'm tired of lifting heavy shit as a hobby, so no use for it anymore. I used to build weekend cabins out in the sticks as a hobby, and being able to haul a LOT of materials in one run was a massive upside.

I had the new Ridgeline. It is based on the Pilot SUV platform. Comfortable to whistle around in, but BAD MPG and it didn't fit in with an F-250 in the driveway. It went away.

I got excellent cash for each of them. As new condition and in a supply constrained market? SOLD.

I had a 911 GT2 but hardly drove it, sold it for a bit more than I paid for it. I bet you cannot guess what my average speed in it was. Keep it mind, it was capable of almost 200 MPH.

There were a few other notable cars on my insurance policy over the years, but...meh. I am older now and having been there and done that, all I want is something easy on all fronts.

Also, the Insight isn't an Accord. It's a Civic. 53 MPG combined. I'm not worried about fuel costs, but hitting the gas station. I hate pumping gas.

My favorite cars of all time are an old Civic that I owned...1981? Old and beat up but it was always vastly fun and never let me down. I got it in HS and kept it for a long time after. 964 Porsche C4. My first Porsche. I bought it used and it was nearly perfect. I beat the dog shit out of that car and it was as good the day I sold it as when I bought it. I had a 550 Maranello that I bought used, and it was a fantastic car. It still is. The very last of the analog Ferrari's and it felt like it. It could go from dapper and sedate to Hannibal Lecter by dropping a gear and going WOT.

I also bought a Saab 900 turbo that I had mildly rebuilt. I always wanted one. It got a rebuilt engine and transmission. Cool car, but dog slow and bad brakes. I put a lot of miles on it, though.

So yes, my tastes are often at odds with each other. Now, I just want a comfortable car that is nothing but easy and drives by gas stations. I am looking at the Insight, Accord Hybrid, and the Highlander hybrid. As soon as my leg heals I'll probably grab the Highlander...35 MPG is good enough.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Can't say it's entirely a Civic these days. The gauge cluster and steering wheel is the same as the Accord, center console some mixture of Civic and Accord, with Civic speakers, Accord headlights and inspired tail lights. At least the 2021 version. In 2016 and older it looked more like a Fit.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Can't bring myself to buy the Veloster N even though I love everything about it, mainly due to the price. Find out there is a smaller version that competes directly with the Fiesta ST and of course it's not coming to the states.

Here's to hoping the GR hot hatch is good and affordable.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Can't bring myself to buy the Veloster N even though I love everything about it, mainly due to the price. Find out there is a smaller version that competes directly with the Fiesta ST and of course it's not coming to the states.

Here's to hoping the GR hot hatch is good and affordable.
It’s current GR is $40k+

Hell no.