20190812_150206_resized.jpg
20190812_150147_resized.jpg
20190812_150134_resized.jpg

• 9Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Already down to the paint like i said. I do wish they'd said they whereby going to get that and just held off until i could get some paint pen action, but they werre in a rush i think after having it a while and me hoping to have it today for a mountain trip to relatives for a memorial.
you paid for this?
d289ed399ab6ea7a4dffae54faf89c26.jpg

thats gonna stay forever until you rewr

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ended up going way over budget I thought we were at, I know they ended up having to custom order the ppf due to huge hood and it is a fairly large area overall that I got covered. $1500 PPF, $1500 Ceramic total coverage, like $500 for paint correction which is probably my largest complaint some visible little chips still in the hood (basically would have needed outright getting some paint I think as deep as they were), then a few hundred for the red trim and removing the old wrap which apparently a pita because the original shop the original owner used, slathered it in too much glue around the grill.

There are a few paint chip fixing kits that try to fill the divot in, that you could try. A bunch of the Corvette Forum guys seem to recommend Dr. ColorChip for its combination of price and "ease" of use. There are also more involved kits that are more expensive, as an alternative. If you want to seem them in action, do a search at Corvetteforum.com and you should find a bunch of threads with some high quality pictures from various angles.

I don't know how well it will work with the Ceramic coat on it, but on the other hand, if you mess it up, the Ceramic should make it easier to remove w/o damaging the factory paint.

If you want to research more options, the AutoGeek forum is very active, and you should find a bunch of paint blemish repair recommendations in a search, as well.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There are a few paint chip fixing kits that try to fill the divot in, that you could try. A bunch of the Corvette Forum guys seem to recommend Dr. ColorChip for its combination of price and "ease" of use. There are also more involved kits that are more expensive, as an alternative. If you want to seem them in action, do a search at Corvetteforum.com and you should find a bunch of threads with some high quality pictures from various angles.

I don't know how well it will work with the Ceramic coat on it, but on the other hand, if you mess it up, the Ceramic should make it easier to remove w/o damaging the factory paint.

If you want to research more options, the AutoGeek forum is very active, and you should find a bunch of paint blemish repair recommendations in a search, as well.
it's already been wrapped, once wrapped thats it

Burns

it's already been wrapped, once wrapped thats it

I thought the ceramic "wrap" was microns thin and sprayed on like paint, or applied like wax/sealent. The word wrap, that I am familiar with, refers to a vinyl product that applies to the vehicle as a film; it can be a pure protective layer, like Clearbra, or a decal, like the big Jag that was previously plastered on his car (or any other crazy design that can be printed out). PlastiDip is also refereed to as a wrap, because you are spraying on the vinyl, instead of using a more difficult rolled sheet.

If it is a microns thin protective layer like wax or sealant, yet much more durable (like what I see when I look up Ceramic coat), it might be possible that a chip kit covers it, w/o giving a floating look.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I thought the ceramic "wrap" was microns thin and sprayed on like paint, or applied like wax/sealent. The word wrap, that I am familiar with, refers to a vinyl product that applies to the vehicle as a film; it can be a pure protective layer, like Clearbra, or a decal, like the big Jag that was previously plastered on his car (or any other crazy design that can be printed out). PlastiDip is also refereed to as a wrap, because you are spraying on the vinyl, instead of using a more difficult rolled sheet.

If it is a microns thin protective layer like wax or sealant, yet much more durable (like what I see when I look up Ceramic coat), it might be possible that a chip kit covers it, w/o giving a floating look.
he said he put on a ppf wrap

Burns

he said he put on a ppf wrap

Oh, sorry, looks like I skipped a few important words; I thought the first part was about removing the previous shit from the hood and that cost $1500. Then they charged another $1500 to put on a Ceramic coat after removing and detailing it ( for 500 more dollars). My bad.

So yea, looks like he is probably fucked (not that a few dozen chips are the end of the world, it is still a very nice looking car). I guess he could still try making a post on Auto Geeks, or Reddit and see if any of the pros have ideas that don't involve 1000s of dollars.

Sludig

Removing old wrap was a charge, but it was ppf on all forward surfaces, mirrors. And the gigantic hood. Then ceramic over the whole car for ease of washing etc

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Removing the wrap on the hood, fixing the paint and doing new PPF isn't the end of the world. That's a great thing about films, you can do one panel at a time if needed, not the whole car.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Whelp, finally pulled the trigger and got a new truck. Went with a Ranger. This isn't mine, but it's the same exactly:

995223.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
New Defender showed up - put 1.5" Johnson Rod on, new tires etc. Great truck, much bigger than it looks in pictures. Love the interior as well and it sits so high up it's crazy. Higher than my old pickup by a fair amount.

Crazy going from the Macan (wifes) to this, the Macan feels like a race car.

That said, typical JLR bullshite - already have a little rattle on the drivers B pillar, and weird noise coming from passenger A pillar at highway speed. Headed back to dealer June 2nd to hopefully get a repair going. Lulz.

Attachments

• IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1505.jpg
    IMG_1505.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1506.jpg
    IMG_1506.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 47

Sludig

New Defender showed up - put 1.5" Johnson Rod on, new tires etc. Great truck, much bigger than it looks in pictures. Love the interior as well and it sits so high up it's crazy. Higher than my old pickup by a fair amount.

That said, typical JLR bullshite - already have a little rattle on the drivers B pillar, and weird noise coming from passenger A pillar at highway speed. Headed back to dealer June 2nd to hopefully get a repair going. Lulz.
I do need to get some deadening strip to wedge in my pillars.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Interiors of those new Defenders looks cool, comfortable, and functional. Hopefully the QC issues are easy fixes. I couldn't imagine being that high up in a vehicle. I'm usually sitting 7-10 inches off the ground in my cars and anything else feels like its going to fall over. Driving wife's SUV is a weird transition.

Did you end up getting gas or diesel?

• 1Solidarity

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Interiors of those new Defenders looks cool, comfortable, and functional. Hopefully the QC issues are easy fixes. I couldn't imagine being that high up in a vehicle. I'm usually sitting 7-10 inches off the ground in my cars and anything else feels like its going to fall over. Driving wife's SUV is a weird transition.

Did you end up getting gas or diesel?
They unfortunately didn't have any diesels in the states... yet. This is a 400hp V6, feels pretty peppy but is a definite hog (15MPG.....). MY 22 we get the turbo diesel and the V8 I believe, both of which seem a bit better imo.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

How much clearance on the garage? Looks like a tight fit.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
How much clearance on the garage? Looks like a tight fit.
Less than an inch!!! No roof rack for poor old Springbok I guess...... :(. Our garage lip is pretty tall too and the old X5/pickup truck had a ton of room.

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Less than an inch!!! No roof rack for poor old Springbok I guess...... :(. Our garage lip is pretty tall too and the old X5/pickup truck had a ton of room.
Does it snow where you live? Probably have to clear on some days before backing out or back end might lift and ouch.

• 1Solidarity

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Does it snow where you live? Probably have to clear on some days before backing out or back end might lift and ouch.
Good looking out - very sporadically (Oklahoma City). Typically on those days the entire state just shuts down anyways haha.

• 1Like

Sludig

OKC kansas or OK proper? Tempted to come about oklahoma if my eife goes full work from home and my contract job actually pays more out there. Albeit i imagine most federal agencies all in the biggest city and Ive seen a suprising amount of urban wildlife vids from the state.
Good looking out - very sporadically (Oklahoma City). Typically on those days the entire state just shuts down anyways haha.