What vehicle do you drive?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Thinking about a Toyota Corolla (upgraded tier) for her first car later this year. Anyone got Toyota info or opinions?

If older product is any indication, a Toyota should last until the sun burns out. I have a 2001 Camry that Just. Will. Not. Die. In 22 years the only problem is that two of the window motors failed. It's a constant war between being deathly tired of the car and being too cheap to get rid of a perfectly functional vehicle. (Honda is just as good on that metric. My other car is an '02 Accord, lol.)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If older product is any indication, a Toyota should last until the sun burns out. I have a 2001 Camry that Just. Will. Not. Die. In 22 years the only problem is that two of the window motors failed. It's a constant war between being deathly tired of the car and being too cheap to get rid of a perfectly functional vehicle. (Honda is just as good on that metric. My other car is an '02 Accord, lol.)
yea just do regular maintence and youre gtg
just bought a brakeline fluid sucker so i can do brake changes myself instead of hearing complaints from my wife, 02 civic brakes feel squishy, probably air in there.
559a4060a9f1a1981af94edaa75a2c0e.png

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Most assuredly an acquired taste. I still have my order in though.
Interested to see what the range is towing a trailer. I doubt it would make sense for me, but I sort of like the idea of pulling up to my neighbor's place in that thing with a horse trailer on and watching them pass out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Most assuredly an acquired taste. I still have my order in though.
I can appreciate it, but the styling and size are definitely not for me.

With the recent price drops, we're thinking about swapping out our M3 for a MY. The extra range and space is very temping.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

With the recent price drops, we're thinking about swapping out our M3 for a MY. The extra range and space is very temping.

At first I was like: "Oh cool, F80, E90, E46?" and then I was like "Oh...he meant something electric. Too bad...."

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Interested to see what the range is towing a trailer. I doubt it would make sense for me, but I sort of like the idea of pulling up to my neighbor's place in that thing with a horse trailer on and watching them pass out.
They stated the three motor version is 500 miles. Two motor mid 300's, and single motor mid 200's. This is before towing a load.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Watch the prices on CPO MX compared to the MY. The loaded MX is a dream ride and has 90 cubic feet of space for storage. Its hard to describe how much softer the ride is over the 3/Y with the computer controlled air suspension in the MX. If you are going to pay $$ for an MY and can get a MX for $$ + 10-12k more and it fits your budget, it would be worth test driving the MX and see the differences. Even the software package is different (more enhanced) on the MX (things like the valet opening and closing the door for you approach/leave the car).

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
They stated the three motor version is 500 miles. Two motor mid 300's, and single motor mid 200's. This is before towing a load.
Yeah. I'm thinking it's going to be similar to the F-150 though where towing a heavy trailer cuts your range by 2/3. Maybe not but they're sort of marketing the thing as a heavy duty truck which would make the towing range even more important than on an F-150.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah. I'm thinking it's going to be similar to the F-150 though where towing a heavy trailer cuts your range by 2/3. Maybe not but they're sort of marketing the thing as a heavy duty truck which would make the towing range even more important than on an F-150.
General estimates I am seeing (based partially on the towing for the MX) is about 50% loss at max tow. I honestly dont know how that compares to ICE mileage with max tow.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
General estimates I am seeing (based partially on the towing for the MX) is about 50% loss at max tow. I honestly dont know how that compares to ICE mileage with max tow.

It's probably similar but obviously there's more options for refueling the ICE vehicle. 250 miles with a heavy trailer would cover everything I do on a regular basis with a reasonable margin. Sub-100 miles that the F-150 Lightning is getting would not be acceptable.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's probably similar but obviously there's more options for refueling the ICE vehicle. 250 miles with a heavy trailer would cover everything I do on a regular basis with a reasonable margin. Sub-100 miles that the F-150 Lightning is getting would not be acceptable.
Range is king in the EV world. The Semi getting 500 miles with an 86k load is stupidly impressive.

• 1Slow

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Range is king in the EV world. The Semi getting 500 miles with an 86k load is stupidly impressive.
Is 40k of that load the battery?

What’s going to be stupidly impressive is the future dash cam videos of those things running out of control and the massive fires after the wreck.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Is 40k of that load the battery?

What’s going to be stupidly impressive is the future dash cam videos of those things running out of control and the massive fires after the wreck.
Nothing concrete yet. Some info. It looks like Feds upped it max GVW to compensate somewhat for the battery weight.

"The Semi is capable of towing to a gross vehicle weight of 82,000 pounds, the maximum allowed by law. That's 2,000 pounds more than diesel rigs are permitted, a concession made by regulators to partially offset the weight of an electric semi's battery pack. The single highway motor is more than enough to drive it normally, which Tesla showed by taking it to the Donner Pass (an infamous six-percent grade in California) and filming carrying its full load and passing a diesel semi—while accelerating."

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
E.E. knows everything. TL;DW = "Theoretically" possible to hit the claims, but unlikely. Also, there is zero infrastructure for EV semi trucks. How many years (decades) for that to be built to support the volume? Couple that with SuperCharging stations for an EV semi likely costing more than the average kw/h price for a home (around $0.08 per kw/h) and the math stops working (most supercharging stations for EV cars cost a whole lot more than 8 cents to charge).

Last edited: