What vehicle do you drive?

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
View attachment 470227
View attachment 470228

It IS a 20th anniversary edition R in standard.
It drives great, but the human interface technology (touch controls everywhere- no knobs or buttons) is very stupid.

and it has an "R" :

View attachment 470229
I knew it was the 20th R by the blue sideview mirrors in your picture! I'm just saying I want a blue one ( you can only get the 20th R in blue, white, or black) but I cant justify the purchase knowing I would keep it in the garage most of the time.

Sweet car either way hopefully the controls will grow on you.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
View attachment 470227
View attachment 470228

It IS a 20th anniversary edition R in standard.
It drives great, but the human interface technology (touch controls everywhere- no knobs or buttons) is very stupid.

and it has an "R" :

View attachment 470229

The R looks much better than the weirdly spaced GTI on mine. I'm going to remove it when the weather improves.

I really want your wing but they don't sell it al a carte yet.

Have you had any quirks with your software yet? I keep getitng heated seats and wheels stuck in the on position. Been almost a year now and still no software update.

kazjim

Blackwing Lair Raider
He is a Brit. He has probably already resigned himself to living a life without privacy.
Wait, you can steal privacy information from a License plate in the USA??

That seems like a pretty fucked up situation you got going on there . . . . the most you can get from our plates is who is the insurer for third party insurance, the year of the vehicle and it's description . . . . well, unless you hack the TransportNSW database, but hey, if you can do that, you have a bunch more info anyway :p

For us, the License plate stays with the vehicle as long as it is registered - if you don't pay rego for the year, you have to re-register it (Safety inspection, etc) and you get issued new plates, so tracking a vehicle via it's plates isn't real useful at all........
Maybe someone can clone it and use it for crime, but it also need to match the description of the vehicle - so if a hit and run happens on a black harley, then . . . zero issues - they would have to not only clone the plate, they would have to put it on a 'maroon, Triumph Bonneville 2002 - America edition'

Wow . . . . what can you gather there in the USA from a 'tag' ??

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Nothing useful and a picture of a plate online is literally no different that simply seeing someone's plate as you drive down the street.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

That seems like a pretty fucked up situation you got going on there . . . . the most you can get from our plates is who is the insurer for third party insurance, the year of the vehicle and it's description . . . . well, unless you hack the TransportNSW database, but hey, if you can do that, you have a bunch more info anyway :p

For us, the License plate stays with the vehicle as long as it is registered - if you don't pay rego for the year, you have to re-register it (Safety inspection, etc) and you get issued new plates, so tracking a vehicle via it's plates isn't real useful at all........
Maybe someone can clone it and use it for crime, but it also need to match the description of the vehicle - so if a hit and run happens on a black harley, then . . . zero issues - they would have to not only clone the plate, they would have to put it on a 'maroon, Triumph Bonneville 2002 - America edition'

It's the same here. We just have more shitheads and cops who will felony stop and shoot you without checking if it's the right bike.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

all records are public, you just gotta find it

like this was just a random google i did for honda civic
53fd78fcf19929a5a3be26553519dc1d.png

this caught my eye, b/c this is my state and this is recent (this honda is actually in my neighborhood from his county sticker)

anyway, the first result for license plate info
80b86f2640e52394b787924b4d4771f9.png

yes, you can scroll and find some other sites that'll give you what you want for free or whatever, or just pay 5bucks.

is there a reason for this? the good guy reason is if you want to make sure the used car youre buying has a clean title or wasn't wrecked.

kazjim

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, that seems like a kinda silly amount of data to be linked to a license plate . . . . and you guys think we have privacy issues and government overreach?

Hmmmmmmmmmm

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'd guess it's extrapolating from name/address/whatever is directly linked to the license plate.

It really isn't too hard to get a decent bit of info about people with a little starting point, even without paying $5 like the above.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yea, It's not that all that information that the above website is offering is directly tied to a plate; it's that the plate gets you a name and address, then the internet offers tools to get the rest of the info. The more you are willing to pay, the more accurate it will probably be.

Posting your car tags online is associating your real name and address with the internet account you are posting from, which means that you are coming as close as possible to doxxing yourself, without actually posting your name and address directly.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
Yea, It's not that all that information that the above website is offering is directly tied to a plate; it's that the plate gets you a name and address, then the internet offers tools to get the rest of the info. The more you are willing to pay, the more accurate it will probably be.

Posting your car tags online is associating your real name and address with the internet account you are posting from, which means that you are coming as close as possible to doxxing yourself, without actually posting your name and address directly.
what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
The R looks much better than the weirdly spaced GTI on mine. I'm going to remove it when the weather improves.

I really want your wing but they don't sell it al a carte yet.

Have you had any quirks with your software yet? I keep getitng heated seats and wheels stuck in the on position. Been almost a year now and still no software update.
The heated steering wheel comes on all by itself, but when you press the button is actually turns on and gets much warmer-- and then when you shut it off, it stays warm regardl;ess. it's like the steering wheel need to be warm for some reason. The radio cuts out every 90 seconds for some odd reason-- and then if you hold the power to reset it, it fixes the issue for a day or so.

The autobrake is kind of a disaster-- if you try to hold the car with just the gas and the clutch (which is what you are supposed to do when you release the hand brake-- oh wait, there isn't one, but there wasn't on my last R either) the auto brake engages and it is actually dangerous. The sensors are set far too sensitive. I used to race my modded WRX. I also have taken out the 2018 R for a little track fun. I wouldn't dare with this one-- if you even get within 2 car lengths of the car in front of you, the sensors go off and the car will brake. That's really dangerous too. Sometimes you have to swerve around an ass-hole or get very close when passing (or racing). I'd be frightened to do that with this one (even though it would be quite capable of it).

Technology is great. I couldn't pull apart a transmission or engine and diagnose anything. There were always high tech engine sensors and sophisticated software involved with any modern car. This vehicle takes it to a level beyond necessity to outright forced stupidity.

However, it can handle speed and tight turns and its suspension and brakes are solid. The clutch is mushy-- probably 40 year old technology in that. Irritating that upgraded suspension, engine, turbo etc gets married to a mushy clutch.

Honestly, I will drive it humbly for maybe a year and either make some updates (clutch, APR tune for starters IF I can wait that long) or I will sell it to someone who will appreciate its touchscreen crap. I think I would be happier with a modded 2018 more...

There's a lot of good to the car. But damn...

I wish I loved it.

Last edited:

Hekotat

The heated steering wheel comes on all by itself, but when you press the button is actually turns on and gets much warmer-- and then when you shut it off, it stays warm regardl;ess. it's like the steering wheel need to be warm for some reason. The radio cuts out every 90 seconds for some odd reason-- and then if you hold the power to reset it, it fixes the issue for a day or so.

The autobrake is kind of a disaster-- if you try to hold the car with just the gas and the clutch (which is what you are supposed to do when you release the hand brake-- oh wait, there isn't one, but there wasn't on my last R either) the auto brake engages and it is actually dangerous. The sensors are set far too sensitive. I used to race my modded WRX. I also have taken out the 2018 R for a little track fun. I wouldn't dare with this one-- if you even get within 2 car lengths of the car in front of you, the sensors go off and the car will brake. That's really dangerous too. Sometimes you have to swerve around an ass-hole or get very close when passing (or racing). I'd be frightened to do that with this one (even though it would be quite capable of it).

Technology is great. I couldn't pull apart a transmission or engine and diagnose anything. There were always high tech engine sensors and sophisticated software involved with any modern car. This vehicle takes it to a level beyond necessity to outright forced stupidity.

However, it can handle speed and tight turns and its suspension and brakes are solid. The clutch is mushy-- probably 40 year old technology in that. Irritating that upgraded suspension, engine, turbo etc gets married to a mushy clutch.

Honestly, I will drive it humbly for maybe a year and either make some updates (clutch, APR tune for starters IF I can wait that long) or I will sell it to someone who will appreciate its touchscreen crap. I think I would be happier with a modded 2018 more...

There's a lot of good to the car. But damn...

I wish I loved it.

The autobrake is absolute dogshit for the hill assist. I kill it all the time because it won't disengage.

I was about to tell you about the auto-brake. I almost took out 3 cars on the highway the other day because it thought I was going to crash, I wasn't expecting it and damn near lost control. I had to pass 3 cars in the inside shoulder near the wall to keep from hitting them. It makes me not want the car.

It is fun to drive, but that auto-brake thing scared the shit out of me, I'm afraid to drive it hard. I'm thinking the same as you as far as selling it.

Burns

The autobrake is absolute dogshit for the hill assist. I kill it all the time because it won't disengage.

I was about to tell you about the auto-brake. I almost took out 3 cars on the highway the other day because it thought I was going to crash, I wasn't expecting it and damn near lost control. I had to pass 3 cars in the inside shoulder near the wall to keep from hitting them. It makes me not want the car.

It is fun to drive, but that auto-brake thing scared the shit out of me, I'm afraid to drive it hard. I'm thinking the same as you as far as selling it.
It's a weird oversite to have a performance marketed package that can not turn off all the nanny computer bullshit.

Outside of factory fixes, no one on the enthusiast forums have figured out a way to bypass it? While it would suck to have to pay someone to disable it, if it is almost causing crashes, it should be worth the cost.

Hekotat

It's a weird oversite to have a performance marketed package that can not turn off all the nanny computer bullshit.

Outside of factory fixes, no one on the enthusiast forums have figured out a way to bypass it? While it would suck to have to pay someone to disable it, if it is almost causing crashes, it should be worth the cost.

I started looking into the software to make changes, however, it's all based off a coin like system. No one time purchase of the software and device, you have to pay for each change you make OR a yearly subscription which is quite expensive. I'm trying to find the name of it, but I can't remember or find it.

Live services are ruining everything.

Hekotat

This is it. From what I've found, it's the only one on the market that will do everything.

Burns

This is it. From what I've found, it's the only one on the market that will do everything.

Ugg, a monthly plan is silly, but that tells me that the factory OBD2 device can probably (permanently?) disable it.

Maybe find a local repair/race shop that specializes in German cars, give them a call, and ask if they can permanently disable the auto break system through OBD2 (& how much that would cost). They should have the high dollar OBD2 and know what to do.

I usually shop for repair shops though my car's enthusiast forum. If they have a forum presence, they tend to be more involved with the racing scene or just work on so many of the same types of cars that they get a good rep with people that are serious about their cars. Being that most shops that do VW also specialize in the other German performance vehicles, you may be able to find referrals/reviews of shops close to you on the Bimmer (?) and Porsche forums too.

Finally, permanently disabling the nannies may not be exactly legal, so that may be causing some issues with your search and/or calling around to find someone that will do it. Unfortunately, I don't know how to find shops that will bend any such rule, if it exists, without spending a bunch of money or time with them. I have know some people that had things like their exhaust sensors moded/programed out of the system, but they easily spent well over $1000 with the various shops getting parts installed and everything re-tuned on the dyno.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Guy who owns the garage where they swapped out my tires said he has a friend with a garage that is certified to work on Teslas. He said they put a ton of requirements on them. Like they have to track every bolt, nut etc that they take off and replace and the garage has cleanliness requirements. Anecdotal only so no idea personally if its true or not.
No its not true. They get certified to have aluminum-only repair areas. That's the clean room. The rest is pretty much the same shit as a civic. Nothing special other than their scanning/re-initializing the system.

Hekotat

Ugg, a monthly plan is silly, but that tells me that the factory OBD2 device can probably (permanently?) disable it.

Maybe find a local repair/race shop that specializes in German cars, give them a call, and ask if they can permanently disable the auto break system through OBD2 (& how much that would cost). They should have the high dollar OBD2 and know what to do.

I usually shop for repair shops though my car's enthusiast forum. If they have a forum presence, they tend to be more involved with the racing scene or just work on so many of the same types of cars that they get a good rep with people that are serious about their cars. Being that most shops that do VW also specialize in the other German performance vehicles, you may be able to find referrals/reviews of shops close to you on the Bimmer (?) and Porsche forums too.

Finally, permanently disabling the nannies may not be exactly legal, so that may be causing some issues with your search and/or calling around to find someone that will do it. Unfortunately, I don't know how to find shops that will bend any such rule, if it exists, without spending a bunch of money or time with them. I have know some people that had things like their exhaust sensors moded/programed out of the system, but they easily spent well over $1000 with the various shops getting parts installed and everything re-tuned on the dyno.

I'd rather sell it than deal with trying to find a workaround.

• 1Like