What vehicle do you drive?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Would you buy a normal ICE car that would call home to decide if you could put gas in it? Or if you could only put in low grade fuel as opposed to better fuel?
Last I checked you do have to pay for gas so it checks your credit card or your cash before it lets you fuel it. The supercharger is connecting to make sure you have a valid Tesla account to pay for your supercharging.

I guess you guys think Tesla should just offer supercharging for free?

Granted they could just put a credit card machine on it and let you pay that way, but they don't. You can always charge at non-Tesla chargers if you prefer the other system. I'm not defending them here because I do think they are pretty controlling about what you can do with the car, but they also haven't shown any propensity to misuse it (yet) either. When they do I'll get concerned and shop other brands.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The point would be to reverse engineer not just the base OS but the WHOLE thing so you could access all the cars features. But then control the unruly things in the OS you didn't approve of. There are a lot of android phones you can drop a new base image on and actually have a MORE functional phone with more on it unlocked. Like when carriers would lock you from using the hotspot on your phone unless you paid an extra $5 a month? Well, swap out the boot loader for a "clean" android build that that stops being a consideration.

Imagine not needing to pay a special licensing fee to have your full battery capacity for instance. How many things on a Tesla do you have to pay extra just to have them flip a software switch so you can fully utilize the hardware you purchased?
The fee for the battery thing is different because that car was sold at a reduced price but due to manufacturing they just put the bigger battery in it anyway. They software locked it so that you got what you paid for. Then you could pay the different to unlock it.

They've done shitty things but that isn't one of them.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Imagine not needing to pay a special licensing fee to have your full battery capacity for instance. How many things on a Tesla do you have to pay extra just to have them flip a software switch so you can fully utilize the hardware you purchased?

It costs $6000 (or used to) to activate the auto drive feature. Completely optional and unnecessary imo.

It costs $10 a month for music streaming and real time navigation. Other companies are doing this as well now.

Electric charging costs is for all EVs, Tesla is free if you are grandfathered in, otherwise it’s not any more than other EVs.

Not sure why you would risk bricking your car for a few dollars savings per month. Also imagine the liability of getting in an accident with autopilot and it turns out it’s because you bypassed the software….oops, guess who’s gonna get sued! And you let Tesla off the hook.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Idris Elba Table Flip GIF

Can't enjoy anything these days.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Who could imagine that getting inside a tiny greenhouse and just soaking in the fumes from a hundred pounds of fresh bpa infused plastic might be bad for you?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
It costs $6000 (or used to) to activate the auto drive feature. Completely optional and unnecessary imo.

It costs $10 a month for music streaming and real time navigation. Other companies are doing this as well now.

Electric charging costs is for all EVs, Tesla is free if you are grandfathered in, otherwise it’s not any more than other EVs.

Not sure why you would risk bricking your car for a few dollars savings per month. Also imagine the liability of getting in an accident with autopilot and it turns out it’s because you bypassed the software….oops, guess who’s gonna get sued! And you let Tesla off the hook.

So my avatar came true yesterday. I have the Full Self Drive (got it before the last few stupid price hikes at 8k), and version v11 beta came out and lets just say is a LITTLE bit more aggressive.

I think the same software ties in to the summon feature. After watching Rennfield last night, I decided to summon my S in a mostly empty movie parking lot.

"TESLA, pick us up!"

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that..."

It started to cut through the handicap spots instead of sticking to the travel lanes in the parking lot. My common sense voice said to stop summoning it instead of watching it try to go between handicap parking signs. But I knew it totally couldve fit! It suddenly swerved at the last second and just straight took out one of the signs like it was intentional, right smack in the middle of the bumper. "Is that a Tesla?" I heard from the onlookers.

The good news is that my front license plate holder took the brunt of it luckily, some gorilla tape and it was good as new. Oh and there's one less handicap space now /hides

I found it way funnier than it should've been. Don't worry, the sign is totally straight now.

Thumb.png

• 5Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Doesn't Tesla force you to have maintenance and repairs done by them?

Afaik this turned out bad for Apple?

kazjim

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Triumph I picked up a few weeks ago is starting to look better - (Still gotta fuck those bars off - waiting for new Risers to arrive so I can put my Western bars on)

Had a rare sunday off, it wasn't raining and no-one at home needed me for anything.

I got 124klms on it, discovered a few little issues I didnt know about before (Cush drive is worn and rear brake needs a little love) but overall, it was a good run.

I think the rear sprocket has been changed to a higher ratio one, as it starts to run out of puff about 90kph, or maybe I'm just not used to it, but either way, rear wheel is coming off this week to check the cush-drive, so I"ll check the ratio and maybe buy a new set of sprockets while I'm in there.
Cheers - keep the black side down.

IMG_6219.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider

When under warranty, yes, although I don’t think that’s different than any other car company.

Repairs can be done anywhere. In fact, most Tesla dealerships don’t do body work.

• 1Like

Heian

Molten Core Raider

I only have mine for 3 years and about 70k miles. Never had a maintenance except alignment ,tire replacement and recalls.

I guess I will know once my battery warranty wear of. I can see multiple electric car garage poping around Montréal.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I only have mine for 3 years and about 70k miles. Never had a maintenance except alignment ,tire replacement and recalls.

I guess I will know once my battery warranty wear of. I can see multiple electric car garage poping around Montréal.
Guy who owns the garage where they swapped out my tires said he has a friend with a garage that is certified to work on Teslas. He said they put a ton of requirements on them. Like they have to track every bolt, nut etc that they take off and replace and the garage has cleanliness requirements. Anecdotal only so no idea personally if its true or not.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I had little damage on my car and I took an appointment at one of the 2 certified repair shop. The one I went is right beside the Tesla dealer. (Next door) He told me they help each other. Sometime when they have weird code they call the dealer next to them and they send a technician. He also told me the dealer can't orders all the parts. You need a certain level to get thems and sometime ask the certified garage for thoses parts.

• 1Like