What vehicle do you drive?

Buying a car for under $2000 seems like a large gamble where you have no clue what the odds are. Maybe it will make it a year w/o major mechanical, maybe it will only make it a month. If you are mechanically inclined, and can do medium and mild maintenance on your own, you can get away with much more in terms of value. Japanese cars are going to be the best bet, but even the civics can have timing chain problems, and those cost a shit ton to fix. On the other hand, if you get a good civic 4 banger, 4 door, it can easily make 300k miles.

lol, I almost started bashing on his truck but thought "to each their own". However, I do not get these guys that pay 60k+ for a 4x4 truck and never take it off road, ever. That's a shitload of money for a status symbol that adds more weight and hurts fuel economy.
While I have always owned sports cars, I can see the appeal of trucks. All vehicles have an inclining of status, even if that is a minor concern for the owner. A big truck feels safer with all that "steel" wrapped around you, is usually more comfortable, roomy, and can usually haul what ever future purchases the owner can envision (even if the wife never lets them actually buy that boat). Now guys (mostly) can justify the crew cab truck a family hauler, so it's an easier sell for dealers, and the crew cab options go up to silly amounts. That Ford F250 Kings Ranch 4x4 is like umpteen WRX STIs, GT-Rs, Corvette ZR1s, Porsche GT3s, and such, that are billed as racing packages, that never see a track.

After borrowing my dads 2012 Tundra a few times, I started thinking it might be great to own a truck. Then I remembered my car gets 30 mpg on the highway, 15 mpg in the city (depending on how heavy a foot) and can take corners at ludicrous speeds (is fun to drive).

Dis

Confirmed Male
Nice grill and lights, i like the smaller Colorado. Used to like silvers until i started noticing how huge the wheel wells are. Even max Tire front to back end up with lot of opening up top.

Typical no research blind American truck purchaser is blind brand loyalty to big 3. I'm loving the shit out of my 15 tundra dc. Love rear seats big enough for adults and still have a6.5ft bed. Crew Max only for if your caring a bunch of dogs out want kids to play board games on the floor whole driving and you'll never carry anything

Going in next few months to get the supercharger ordered. Heart 550 torque 510 horse in a gaser for about 43k.
Not sure if the second paragraph is applied to me. I work forGroup 1 Automotive | New Volkswagen, Lexus, MINI, Hyundai, CADILLAC, Audi, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Lincoln, Kia, Buick, Toyota, Subaru, Scion, GMC, Smart, Ford, BMW, Acura, Ram, Nissan, Dodge, Jeep, Porsche, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Volvo, Honda dealership in Houston, TX 77024, I am around every make and model with the exception of the Ultralux brands (Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc). I had a 2012 Tundra crewmax, Silverado crew cab has just as much room. I fit 5 folks in the truck on the reg, they all are comfortable.

As far as a supercharger? I don't really need one, I am doing 0-60 in about 5.7 secs after the tune. I am getting 435ish HP to the rear wheel. Supercharger install would cost 10k at LMR, or if I take it to Hennessey would be around 24k. I am happy with spending 300 bucks with Black Bear. I would suggest tuning your truck before you splurge on a SC. You may just be happy with that, and save yourself bucks.

As far as off-roading? Not sure where I said I wouldn't or haven't already. I have already been mudding in it with this wet weekend weather. Plan on taking into onto the beach as well more than a few times. Also I didn't pay 60k+, more like 49k due to employee pricing and incentives. Helps when you work for a major automotive group.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you send your car to Hennessey, you might as well just shoot it full of holes, blow it up, then throw it in a lake and save yourself some time.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
I was kind of curious what you could get for $2k. I looked on craigslist locally. For $2k or less you could get a 1990 model car or close to it, or one for parts or one with no title.

Basically to get one in one piece that ran and had a title you were looking at around a 1990 model.
I haven't had much luck with craigslist. They are usually over valuing their cars because they are trying to get out of it what they put into it. If I were going off cl, i'd be looking in the $3k-$3500 range and offering them closer to $2k. The best <$2k cars i've had (95 mustang and 98 corolla) were either driven by grandma to bingo or driven to a park and ride.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Buying a car for under $2000 seems like a large gamble where you have no clue what the odds are. Maybe it will make it a year w/o major mechanical, maybe it will only make it a month. If you are mechanically inclined, and can do medium and mild maintenance on your own, you can get away with much more in terms of value. Japanese cars are going to be the best bet, but even the civics can have timing chain problems, and those cost a shit ton to fix. On the other hand, if you get a good civic 4 banger, 4 door, it can easily make 300k miles.
No doubt a gamble. I try to put the odds in my favor though by having a mechanic come out and do a once over for me before I buy.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not sure if the second paragraph is applied to me. I work forGroup 1 Automotive | New Volkswagen, Lexus, MINI, Hyundai, CADILLAC, Audi, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Lincoln, Kia, Buick, Toyota, Subaru, Scion, GMC, Smart, Ford, BMW, Acura, Ram, Nissan, Dodge, Jeep, Porsche, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Volvo, Honda dealership in Houston, TX 77024, I am around every make and model with the exception of the Ultralux brands (Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc). I had a 2012 Tundra crewmax, Silverado crew cab has just as much room. I fit 5 folks in the truck on the reg, they all are comfortable.

As far as a supercharger? I don't really need one, I am doing 0-60 in about 5.7 secs after the tune. I am getting 435ish HP to the rear wheel. Supercharger install would cost 10k at LMR, or if I take it to Hennessey would be around 24k. I am happy with spending 300 bucks with Black Bear. I would suggest tuning your truck before you splurge on a SC. You may just be happy with that, and save yourself bucks.

As far as off-roading? Not sure where I said I wouldn't or haven't already. I have already been mudding in it with this wet weekend weather. Plan on taking into onto the beach as well more than a few times. Also I didn't pay 60k+, more like 49k due to employee pricing and incentives. Helps when you work for a major automotive group.
The second paragraph was not directed at you, being a new paragraph was a new thread of thought. In that i was defending that a lot of truck buyers fall into brand racism so hate the tundra but i love it for various impartial reasons.

Just like how you ended with off road comment, which i said nothing about, i understand it was at the other dude.

I like going fast, i may even do headers etc after the sc, but will stop short of where i have to redo internals. For the tundra is cheaper than what you quoted, and for good gains. The piggyback tuners don't do as much as they do for some vehicles. Easier to afford when my 15 only cost 36k to start

the901

Molten Core Raider
2015 MINI Cooper S w/JCW Pro Tune & Bi-Modal Exaust. It's been a bit over a year and I absolutely love it. I'll eventually get the JCW Pro suspension kit.
rrr_img_120703.jpg

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Excellent ride, love Mini's. How many BHP does it have with the tuning?

the901

Molten Core Raider
Excellent ride, love Mini's. How many BHP does it have with the tuning?
Thank you. Even though it gets hate from the older gen folks, it's still smaller than the new MX-5 (minus height).

The JCW Pro tune gets it up to around 210 HP at the wheels. Add a piggyback and you're looking at 235 wheel HP. I'm not quite sure I'm wanting to piggyback just yet.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

While I have always owned sports cars, I can see the appeal of trucks. All vehicles have an inclining of status, even if that is a minor concern for the owner. A big truck feels safer with all that "steel" wrapped around you, is usually more comfortable, roomy, and can usually haul what ever future purchases the owner can envision (even if the wife never lets them actually buy that boat). Now guys (mostly) can justify the crew cab truck a family hauler, so it's an easier sell for dealers, and the crew cab options go up to silly amounts. That Ford F250 Kings Ranch 4x4 is like umpteen WRX STIs, GT-Rs, Corvette ZR1s, Porsche GT3s, and such, that are billed as racing packages, that never see a track.

After borrowing my dads 2012 Tundra a few times, I started thinking it might be great to own a truck. Then I remembered my car gets 30 mpg on the highway, 15 mpg in the city (depending on how heavy a foot) and can take corners at ludicrous speeds (is fun to drive).
I have to say, finally having a trail rated vehicle with skid plates and a rear locker and a crawl gear and higher intake for water fording is certainly more fun and there's the peace of mind as well. I had compromise cars (OK at everything) most of my life just due to budget reasons obviously but where I don't really use my fast car anywhere even approaching the limits of handling, I have already had to use 4x4 to get around a bad freeway pileup and bail off the freeway. That and I like driving up north and it floods enough to be concerned a bit about water especially with low vehicles.

I am considering one day parting with the Jeep and buying a truck, but I am looking more for a raptorified version of the Ranger size-wise. If the damn Elio finally comes out and works I might switch to one of those for commuting and just say fuck it and trade for a Raptor though.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Thank you. Even though it gets hate from the older gen folks, it's still smaller than the new MX-5 (minus height).

The JCW Pro tune gets it up to around 210 HP at the wheels. Add a piggyback and you're looking at 235 wheel HP. I'm not quite sure I'm wanting to piggyback just yet.
I worry about canned tunes on forced induction or DI only engines. Most modern NA engines are specced with a lot of headroom. Some of the FI engines (and some like Skyactiv Mazda engines are already running pretty high compression ratios. Besides that certain DI systems don't have good solutions for buildup. For instance the otherwise great 2L Ecoboost line dump PCV overflow into cylinders 2 & 3 so it cakes the cylinder heads with oil residue. Big deal clean it right? Can't, there's no approved service because the typical cleaning solutions cause the turbo to overheat and fail. Canned tune gets you 15 HP but unless JCW is very cool about it most likely voids your powertrain warranty basically.

I'm not familiar with the engine in the Mini, I'm just thinking you probably have more considerations there. I mean oil catch can is usually missing on every FI factory setup as well. I'd be more inclined to take something already pretty tuned from factory like that or a Focus RS to a place that actually tunes the vehicle based upon the data instead of running a can. But that's just me *shrug*.

the901

Molten Core Raider
I worry about canned tunes on forced induction or DI only engines. Most modern NA engines are specced with a lot of headroom. Some of the FI engines (and some like Skyactiv Mazda engines are already running pretty high compression ratios. Besides that certain DI systems don't have good solutions for buildup. For instance the otherwise great 2L Ecoboost line dump PCV overflow into cylinders 2 & 3 so it cakes the cylinder heads with oil residue. Big deal clean it right? Can't, there's no approved service because the typical cleaning solutions cause the turbo to overheat and fail. Canned tune gets you 15 HP but unless JCW is very cool about it most likely voids your powertrain warranty basically.

I'm not familiar with the engine in the Mini, I'm just thinking you probably have more considerations there. I mean oil catch can is usually missing on every FI factory setup as well. I'd be more inclined to take something already pretty tuned from factory like that or a Focus RS to a place that actually tunes the vehicle based upon the data instead of running a can. But that's just me *shrug*.
JCW (John Cooper Works) tune is a dealer option that is in line with the warranty that includes an ECU flash and bi-modal exhaust. I've heard of previous gens having issues with buildup and having to get blasted with walnut shells or some shit. This B48/B46 (3rd gen) Cooper S engine is the first fully BMW engine on a MINI so I'm hoping that it skips the reliability issues that came with the BMW/Peugeot collaboration engineered motors and DI buildup that you mention.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Some low life piece of shit keyed my car last Thursday, I'm not a violent person but if I find out who did it I will beat them, possibly to death and it will be worth the jail/prison time.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Given it's colorado, I'm blaming the plethora of scratches in 3 months on my Tundra to jealous/angry liberals.

Erikmustride_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_122599.jpg

Bought another Bonneville to replace the one I wrecked last year. Got fuel injected model this time around. Already replaced the wheels and front ends, new exhaust, removed the airbox, removed the AI and carbon filter (damn California bikes) had the system re-mapped, had custom suspension made,etc

I have a problem.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Love your mini the901. My better half's parents bought one, they love it. Chapel Hill/Carrboro is like Mini ground zero, I counted 12 one day just going to the store, lol. There is even a yellow restored classic Mini around here I see out occasionally.

Posted her in this thread when she was new, just a little update now that she is broken in. ~30k miles, several ~2k round trips under her belt, not a single issue to report. Great road cruiser for a smaller car. Smooth ride, large quiet cabin. Clutch has slipped a couple of times gunning it on an on ramp, not unexpected with the tune. She requires more finesse than our civic si for sure, much more power, huge amount of torque. She's got personality <3 Love her more every time I drive her.

2013 Fender edition Beetle 2.0t, manual
Revo Stage 1 since ~7000 miles
18 inch OZ/Conti DW
H&R Sport/Koni combo

xcT8kfB.jpg

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not once in my life, being in a dedicated car scene for 18 years, have I heard the words "huge amount of torque" when talking about a Beetle....

Something new every day I guess.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Got this last month and even though it's 'just' a V6 I already feel that tuning bug returning

rrr_img_127142.jpg

*Not actual car but looks exactly the same.