What vehicle do you drive?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Rs5 is shit. The shifting on that thing is like riding a bull.

Honestly all your options kinda suck. Do want a performance car or a luxury sedan? Seems like you want some bastard in the middle. Performance then I’d look at tried and true - Ferrari, Lamborghini and even Mclaren these days. Otherwise save your money you get a regular 5 series, s class or whatever.

• 1Clown World
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
The S5/RS5 handles like a champ and shifts fine once you get it up to speed. If you're playing cat and mouse on the highway, or can open it up on some winding road, it's a dream. The rear differential option also allows you to make crazy almost go-kart like turns at high speed.

But off the line and sub 40mph throttle predictability is dogshit. If you're making that left turn into oncoming traffic sometimes the gas just isn't there when you think it will be, making for some close calls. IMHO any car where you can't predict what will happen and when isn't good, plain and simple.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The S5/RS5 handles like a champ and shifts fine once you get it up to speed. If you're playing cat and mouse on the highway, or can open it up on some winding road, it's a dream. The rear differential option also allows you to make crazy almost go-kart like turns at high speed.

But off the line and sub 40mph throttle predictability is dogshit. If you're making that left turn into oncoming traffic sometimes the gas just isn't there when you think it will be, making for some close calls. IMHO any car where you can't predict what will happen and when isn't good, plain and simple.

Going from a Porsche Boxster to any 4 door saloon car, that weighs 1000+ more lbs, is going to feel like shit in the corners. The straight away can be compensated by more horsepower, but will probably feel worse, as well.

Since nothing is going to compare with the previous car, he might as well just go for what is the most comfortable and quite to ride in. They are all nice looking cars, but BMW has the largest market share, so it may be slightly cheaper on the upkeep.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The new grills on the BMW's are just awful. Like holy fuck what was the design department smoking?

The new design philosophy is "more angles on everything!" and it looks like shit. Mercedes seems to be the last company left making good looking cars.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
View attachment 366888

View attachment 366889

So I’m in the market for a new daily and cant decide between the M550 and the M850. Have only been able to drive the 8. Think I prefer the 8 in the looks dept, but the 5 performance seems a bit better and much better mod support as the 8 seems like a bit of a rare bird. FOH opinions?

Haven't driven the 8 but I've owned a 2018 5 series from nearly new and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again, it's been great. Great to drive, nothing about it has started to annoy me and not one thing has gone wrong with it. I don't have the V8 tho, mine's a 530d. Best 5 series since the E39 and I've owned them all.

It really comes down to what you want to do with it. Need that rear seat regularly or not? Next generation of the 5 series is coming in 2023 if that affects your plans.
Also, I dunno how the prices are in the US but over here the 550i is more expensive than the M3 or M4, and it depreciates way more since it's not a proper "M" car. You'll have to put up with the new giant grill though, which may or may not be a good thing in the long term.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Haven't driven the 8 but I've owned a 2018 5 series from nearly new and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again, it's been great. Great to drive, nothing about it has started to annoy me and not one thing has gone wrong with it. I don't have the V8 tho, mine's a 530d. Best 5 series since the E39 and I've owned them all.

It really comes down to what you want to do with it. Need that rear seat regularly or not? Next generation of the 5 series is coming in 2023 if that affects your plans.
Also, I dunno how the prices are in the US but over here the 550i is more expensive than the M3 or M4, and it depreciates way more since it's not a proper "M" car. You'll have to put up with the new giant grill though, which may or may not be a good thing in the long term.
Ya I really like the 540i I was in recently. The LCI looks great to my eye. I’m kind of concerned the my 23 5 series will get the m3 treatment…. Honestly, you can’t find new m550s 850s m3 or m4s anywhere here so I’m looking for a sub one year old executive lease type deal on either, making both cars a lot cheaper than new and I’m not super impressed with BMWs new design language on the new m3/4 (though both seem like performance kings). I like the idea of an end of an era 8 cyl ice, and need a decently roomy backseat for the carseats. Our macan is too little and the defender is huge but kind of a hog (especially after lift and big tires).

Sludig

Hellcat Durango. Boom car seats and obnoxious v8.

Half serious.

Personally if its not a coupe or hot batch, Id rather go big and utilitarian. Sedans as both a tall guy and often carrying all kinds of weird stuff , just frustrate me and all have too similiar bodies with mainly just grill separating them on any meaningful level. Suvs are still just boxes, but more room to develope distinctive lines.

kazjim

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just finished building this.
Rare as hell here in Australia - a Cali sourced VN88 - 1988 Kawasaki 1500cc
I think it's the only one here - I've seen '96 and '92 models, but nothing before that in the records.
It's called 'The MILF' because of the plates.

Selling it soon to find the next build.

I ride for un, but I build for my mental health.
236458352_4247391845376074_1213385769689478471_n.jpg

238136825_4247392002042725_633159424353737503_n.jpg

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Margo

Peasant
It's at the shop though, some industrious fucker sawed off the catalyzer during my vacation this summer...
Apparently it's a massively growing problem here in Sweden... Eastern european gangs... Had to borrow my buddies car to get my kid to school...
I used to be sort of lenient towards thieves, you know, empathizing with their plight, but right now I'm figuring out ways to alert me when it goes down so I can run out and axe the fuckers in the face!

Attachments

• 1-1-768x576.jpeg
    1-1-768x576.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 1Solidarity

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
It's at the shop though, some industrious fucker sawed off the catalyzer during my vacation this summer...
Apparently it's a massively growing problem here in Sweden... Eastern european gangs... Had to borrow my buddies car to get my kid to school...
I used to be sort of lenient towards thieves, you know, empathizing with their plight, but right now I'm figuring out ways to alert me when it goes down so I can run out and axe the fuckers in the face!
No catalyzer. No problem. :trollface:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
looks like america is export our niche specific crimes too

there are tons more

apparently they get more money for the prius ones probably cuz they have more precious metals (cuz you only drive electric)

and of course trucks/suvs cuz you don't need a jack, just be thin

Burns

If you have to park outside, at your home, you can get some good cameras and set up the AI to send you advanced alarms when people enter zones close to the cars. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time to learn how to take full advantage of (and protect yourself from) the Chinese cameras.

Since China went all in on the surveillance state a long time ago, they are leading the world in camera surveillance tech. Id imagine pretty much every brand uses their internal chips, so might as well just buy direct and then block it from dialing home.

Great resource for learning about the camera systems:

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Pretty common problem, globally. Funny timing on a video from Donut Media about this:

Margo

Peasant
If you have to park outside, at your home, you can get some good cameras and set up the AI to send you advanced alarms when people enter zones close to the cars. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time to learn how to take full advantage of (and protect yourself from) the Chinese cameras.

Since China went all in on the surveillance state a long time ago, they are leading the world in camera surveillance tech. Id imagine pretty much every brand uses their internal chips, so might as well just buy direct and then block it from dialing home.

Great resource for learning about the camera systems:
The big question is what to do when you are alerted, Swedish police don't care anymore since we imported and allowed a shadow society of gangbangers who kill each other at a regular basis. Also our courts are infested with a feminist society called HILDA who slaps actual criminals and rapists on the fingers whilst throwing the book on citizens defending themselves...
I'm scared I'd hurt someone and be thrown away for good...
Thanks for the info lads! I have decided that I will chop off the foot of the thief... I don't even care anymore...

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The big question is what to do when you are alerted, Swedish police don't care anymore since we imported and allowed a shadow society of gangbangers who kill each other at a regular basis. Also our courts are infested with a feminist society called HILDA who slaps actual criminals and rapists on the fingers whilst throwing the book on citizens defending themselves...
Thanks for the info lads! I have decided that I will chop off the foot of the thief... I don't even care anymore...

Sounds like the same thing America is going through. At least all the good, sane people in the world will be suffering together!

Burns

I hear a Narwhal tusk is an acceptable weapon in Europe. Have at'em...

• 1Worf