What vehicle do you drive?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
ZF 8 speed in my S5 sucks ass. The low end throttle lag is just brutal, and accelerating out of a turn, or taking a turn into oncoming traffic is practically a learned art form. Meanwhile my 2014 was flawless. They clearly had to gimp things to meet emission standards.
The transmissions in all my cars has been the biggest source of irritation except the manual transmission ones and my PDK porsches... those things were awesome. Have never had a torque converter automatic that I liked, and I've had a lot. They totally gimp a car.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
The transmissions in all my cars has been the biggest source of irritation except the manual transmission ones and my PDK porsches... those things were awesome. Have never had a torque converter automatic that I liked, and I've had a lot. They totally gimp a car.

Yeah it didn't help that I came from manuals my entire life, and it was my first automatic, but the tranny in the 2018+ S4/S5's is auto only and just plain brutal imho. The A5/A4 gets the Audi DSG, but they put the ZF with torque converter in the S series. The irony is that at low speeds, the A series actually feels more responsive and predictable than the S series. All my loaners have been A4/A5's, and I actually enjoyed them more for city driving than my S5. You hit the pedal and they actually accelerate in a linear fashion. Slow down to a near stop in my S5 and accelerate, and you may get throttle, or you may just get what feels like accelerating from a stop in 2nd gear. Audi really fucked up that tranny imho, though it's one of those hotly debated topics on the Audi forum.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah it didn't help that I came from manuals my entire life, and it was my first automatic, but the tranny in the 2018+ S4/S5's is auto only and just plain brutal imho. The A5/A4 gets the Audi DSG, but they put the ZF with torque converter in the S series. The irony is that at low speeds, the A series actually feels more responsive and predictable than the S series. All my loaners have been A4/A5's, and I actually enjoyed them more for city driving than my S5. You hit the pedal and they actually accelerate in a linear fashion. Slow down to a near stop in my S5 and accelerate, and you may get throttle, or you may just get what feels like accelerating from a stop in 2nd gear. Audi really fucked up that tranny imho, though it's one of those hotly debated topics on the Audi forum.
They should do whatever porsche did with the 997.2 turbo PDK's to get it in the S-model Audis... that thing was badass. My guess is that the Audi DSG can't handle the torque the S models are putting out.

Of course what is better than any transmission...? No transmission! :)

Hydromarty

Vyemm Raider
I drive a 2020 Nissan Altima, the base model. Drove it 1400 miles round trip, through some relatively small mountains with no overheating issues in the CVT, but I hear that has been an issue for some years.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
They should do whatever porsche did with the 997.2 turbo PDK's to get it in the S-model Audis... that thing was badass. My guess is that the Audi DSG can't handle the torque the S models are putting out.

Of course what is better than any transmission...? No transmission! :)

You called it, that's the exact reason why they didn't get the DSG. Unfortunately it feels like tacked on dogshit. What use is a Sports Car if the throttle is all over the map, and accelerating out of a turn is a dice roll on when you'll get throttle to the wheels?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its not the transmission, its the tuning and software each manufacturer decides to code for that trans in w/e car. The ZF 8 speed is a very good transmission and can hold a ton of power. In the Hellcat it was amazingly responsive and user friendly. In the Audi, maybe it was coded to be safer and slower on purpose (or by mistake).

In either case: Manual > dual clutch > torque converter > walking > CVT.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
50th anniversary Countach homage. Limited production

748af608-663a-4f54-8a3a-c1fadfdada84_rw_3840.jpg
2105a04b-a7d6-4f7f-9f77-c9af775240f0_rw_3840.jpg

• 5Mother of God
  • 1Weird Boner
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
ZF makes real shit now. What is strange, everyone knows they are shit, but still puts them in their cars.

You clearly don't have a clue. Maybe look at the box inside a 330e or 530e, what tech it is and what it offers.

Its not the transmission, its the tuning and software each manufacturer decides to code for that trans in w/e car. The ZF 8 speed is a very good transmission and can hold a ton of power. In the Hellcat it was amazingly responsive and user friendly. In the Audi, maybe it was coded to be safer and slower on purpose (or by mistake).

In either case: Manual > dual clutch > torque converter > walking > CVT.

BMW dropped its dual clutch transmissions in favor of single clutch ZF ones with a torque converter, even in the M cars.

They are at least equally fast and offer better economy, along with the option to place an electromotor in the gearbox itself, which allows for high power potentials.

Just look at the tuning potential of a recent 330e. At stage one, it gains about 30% power and over 60% additional torque, putting the 2l petrol at a generous 400 bhp and 700 Nm of torque, which is plenty to crush pretty much every stage 1 tuned 2l engine.

There is nothing similar on the market atm.

The 2L AMG engines are extremely nice, but without the support the BMWs get from the electromotor in the ZF gearbox, they simply can't match the numbers.

Fucker Fucker you are just going to buy a shitty car again in a few years and complain about it here

don't worry, I'll be here to point out your misconceptions, fully understanding it won't help you get any wiser

Last edited:
  • 1Barf
  • 1Imbecile

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

The PDK boxes were made by Porsche in cooperation with ZF.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
ZF made and is making top end stuff.
Sure. Never said they didn't. I said their torque converter automatics are not suitable for my needs like the PDK and manual transmissions have been. I'm not impugning their quality, but that product is sub-optimal for my use case.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Sure. Never said they didn't. I said their torque converter automatics are not suitable for my needs like the PDK and manual transmissions have been. I'm not impugning their quality, but that product is sub-optimal for my use case.

A stranger on the interweb posted that they make bad products, which is such a demonstration of stupidity it pissed me off even in 2021.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Tip: direct replies at the person who stated that.

I think it was nice ZF contributed to the PDK, which not many people know, so it was also directed to you.

Fucker Fucker you should stick to bicycles. Wait no, I'm a Euro, I'd still shit on your lack of knowledge.

Last edited:
  • 1Ice Burn
  • 1Imbecile

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Just finished a 2,500 mile trip with my new Ford Ranger. I love that thing. I was worried the ten speed would feel like it's shifting all the time, but it doesn't. Plus I'm getting 30 mpg on the highway and averaging 27 overall. I'm seriously impressed and recommend this vehicle.

• 2Like
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just finished a 2,500 mile trip with my new Ford Ranger. I love that thing. I was worried the ten speed would feel like it's shifting all the time, but it doesn't. Plus I'm getting 30 mpg on the highway and averaging 27 overall. I'm seriously impressed and recommend this vehicle.
4a02929abfe6c62ab845422902fafbcc.png

• 1Tiresome
  • 1Faggotry