What vehicle do you drive?

BrellWatcher

Trakanon Raider
Idiots keep paying those prices and dealers will keep playing those games.
Yeah people are dumb. I was looking this past weekend at Bronco's and one Ford dealership had huge markups on a lot of their vehicles and not just the Bronco. They had a used F250 with 25k markup for $105K, FU Grapevine Ford! Went over to a different Ford dealership and everything was MSRP. Sad thing is I went to look at a Bronco and ended up driving off in a fully loaded Expedition, nothing beats air conditioned seats in Texas.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Yeah people are dumb. I was looking this past weekend at Bronco's and one Ford dealership had huge markups on a lot of their vehicles and not just the Bronco. They had a used F250 with 25k markup for $105K, FU Grapevine Ford! Went over to a different Ford dealership and everything was MSRP. Sad thing is I went to look at a Bronco and ended up driving off in a fully loaded Expedition, nothing beats air conditioned seats in Texas.

Those Broncos ain't coming down for awhile. A colleague of mine had the foresight to see the coming shortage and put deposits down on 14 of them a year ago, they are starting to come in and he's selling them without issue for 25k more than sticker. People just don't want to wait in line.

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This is going to end up in a shitload of people severely underwater on their car loan and being stuck with them. New car sales will take a complete shit in a couple years due to this. I’m going to check on this post in a couple years and see how it has aged.

• 1Double Worf

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is going to end up in a shitload of people severely underwater on their car loan and being stuck with them. New car sales will take a complete shit in a couple years due to this. I’m going to check on this post in a couple years and see how it has aged.

I can't wait. I've got 4 cars I want to buy when the market drops to normal, or lower.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Hell yeah. I'll be in the market for a new daily driver in probably another 4ish years.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I think we will see it in 2-3 years, maybe a little sooner but I’m just guessing. That’s when supply catches up and people start seeing good deals, they go to trade in and realize they’re going to lose 20-30k due to their impatience and have to stay stuck with their stupid purchase. Now we run into a surplus where they have plenty of supply but the demand took a shit. If I am guessing correctly and that’s your time frame I think that will be the time the buyers have the power and the sellers take a bath.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Awesome. YGWYFD. Can’t wait to take advantage of their mistakes.

• 1Harrow

lurker

Vyemm Raider
We're talking about one car here, the Bronco. People would be having to overpay for almost every car purchased for this scenario to come true. Is that happening out there?

Hekotat

We're talking about one car here, the Bronco. People would be having to overpay for almost every car purchased for this scenario to come true. Is that happening out there?

I'd say most people are over-paying for the more desirable new cars such as the Vette, Bronco and other sports cars. Those two are brand new though and fetching a hefty price.

However, most cars are ridiculously overpriced like that ST in the video (Which I have) going for more than they were brand new. Shit is out of control and they're completely fucking people who are trying to get something used just to get by.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I can't wait. I've got 4 cars I want to buy when the market drops to normal, or lower.

As soon as the transitory inflation is gone that will happen.

Anyway. MSRP doesn't mean jack fuck, it doesn't for GPU's and it doesn't for cars. There is only demand, supply and inflation.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

The cheapest 2nd hand Tesla in Belgium is around 27k, and that gets you an 8-year old shitter with a destroyed interior and 130k miles.

A very large part of the population can't even spend 27k on a brand new car.

Privately owning a car is a thing of the past for a large and growing part of the people. They just don't understand it yet. Will take the US a couple of years to catch up on Europe's insanity, but you are well on the way.

They are banning fosil fuel cars, and after that is done they will shift the taxes from those to EV's. Cheap EVs have terrible range so they won't replace what was banned.

• 1Double Worf

Fucker

Log Wizard
Privately owning a car is a thing of the past for a large and growing part of the people. They just don't understand it yet. Will take the US a couple of years to catch up on Europe's insanity, but you are well on the way.
You aren't wrong. HALF of the people of legal driving age in this country cannot afford the payment on a new, base model Honda Civic. Liberal states like California want to ban sales of new ICE cars, which will effectively render a large number of their population unable to afford basic transportation of any kind.

• 1Like

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Can't you still just order most models, (that aren't corvette/bronco etc), from the factory a few months ahead of time for near msrp? Last year it only took 2 months, one month before estimated, dealer didn't even want money down since they knew it'd sell fast if I somehow didn't pick it up.

I'd say most people are over-paying for the more desirable new cars such as the Vette, Bronco and other sports cars. Those two are brand new though and fetching a hefty price.

However, most cars are ridiculously overpriced like that ST in the video (Which I have) going for more than they were brand new. Shit is out of control and they're completely fucking people who are trying to get something used just to get by.

They killed off the ST here along with any other normal cars, that might be a part of it. Used '21 WRX premiums are listing for near 10k over what I paid new. That's a 6 year old design with some likely hard miles put on them, too.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Can't you still just order most models, (that aren't corvette/bronco etc), from the factory a few months ahead of time for near msrp? Last year it only took 2 months, one month before estimated, dealer didn't even want money down since they knew it'd sell fast if I somehow didn't pick it up.
Yep. The only difference is now there aren't any huge deals like there were in the past.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Can't you still just order most models, (that aren't corvette/bronco etc), from the factory a few months ahead of time for near msrp?

Increasing MSRP is bad for the company image. That doesn't mean the next few generations won't go up by >10%.

You know how stuff like energy and groceries have increased in price? That still needs to spread out to a lot of goods and services.

1642860366218.png

A 2020 car has an MSRP of at least 7% under its actual current dollar value. Unsure how many people got a 7% raise last year, which would only break even.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Increasing MSRP is bad for the company image. That doesn't mean the next few generations won't go up by >10%.

You know how stuff like energy and groceries have increased in price? That still needs to spread out to a lot of goods and services.

View attachment 394258

A 2020 car has an MSRP of at least 7% under its actual current dollar value. Unsure how many people got a 7% raise last year, which would only break even.
They just zing the fuck out of you by hiding useful options under ever more expensive options packages....and usually under the most expensive package. MSRP then a bunch of asterisks.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 394258

This is part of why I ordered a car now. High trade in values won’t last, and current MSRPs won’t last, that’s what I’m betting anyways. I expect new car prices to just go up 20% in the next few years making what I want unaffordable. I don’t want a car payment but I think now is the time if you can get MSRP or less.

And I could be wrong, like I said earlier so many people will be underwater they can’t get out of their current car, and dealerships may have a hard time moving new. That may be the time of lower prices. It’s hard to think they’d be able to with the rising cost of labor and parts. Who knows.

Last edited:

Hekotat

They killed off the ST here along with any other normal cars, that might be a part of it. Used '21 WRX premiums are listing for near 10k over what I paid new. That's a 6 year old design with some likely hard miles put on them, too.

I've been trying to get a veloster N for a few weeks now and almost every dealership has a 3-5k markup. Most of their used cars are way over-valued as well, a used Veloster N is as much as a new one. Many old Civics and Altima's are going for 6-5k higher as well. It's going to screw with alot of lower income families in the long run. I hope these dealerships get fucked.