What vehicle do you drive?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I saw a quote on facebook (of all places) a long time ago that said something like "If you don't smile every time you see your car, you bought the wrong car". It kinda stuck with me and said fuck it. It really tickles my pickle all the looks and interest I get about it, it's pretty expensive for what it offers and I haven't seen another green one around town in the 9 months I have it. There's more Benz EQAs around than this.

Completely agree. Be happy with what you drive. Same goes for work, hobbies, a partner, etc. Otherwise, why bother?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck VW, few of my coworkers have GTIs or GLIs. One of them was swapping in firmer motor mounts but he was having issues jacking up the motor because of a plastic oil pan. GTFO. PLASTIC OIL PAN?!

I don't think plastic oil pans were part of Hitlers plan for the ultimate society.

Sadly not nearly unique, many manufacturers have been using them for a few years now. There was a whole lot of stink over them on the Ford forums a few years ago because Ford started using them on many vehicles and they all leaked. There's also been a push towards plastic transmission pans where they make the pan and filter one unit, so you'll have to replace the entire thing rather than just the filter when the time comes for that. Of course most manufacturers don't recommend a transmission service during the normal lease period because doing so would increase the lease payment.
Everything in the industry is driven by a desire to make the lease payment as low as possible, so cars are designed to be cheap and easy to assemble in the factory and to require as little maintenance as possible during the normal lease period, who gives a shit what happens to the 2nd/3rd owner later on who's going to be paying out of pocket to replace parts that easily could have lasted the entire life of the vehicle if not for some penny pinching at the manufacturer.

I'd never call myself an environmentalist but it's frankly wasteful of resources and money.

• 2Solidarity

Fucker

Log Wizard
Sadly not nearly unique, many manufacturers have been using them for a few years now. There was a whole lot of stink over them on the Ford forums a few years ago because Ford started using them on many vehicles and they all leaked. There's also been a push towards plastic transmission pans where they make the pan and filter one unit, so you'll have to replace the entire thing rather than just the filter when the time comes for that. Of course most manufacturers don't recommend a transmission service during the normal lease period because doing so would increase the lease payment.
Everything in the industry is driven by a desire to make the lease payment as low as possible, so cars are designed to be cheap and easy to assemble in the factory and to require as little maintenance as possible during the normal lease period, who gives a shit what happens to the 2nd/3rd owner later on who's going to be paying out of pocket to replace parts that easily could have lasted the entire life of the vehicle if not for some penny pinching at the manufacturer.

I'd never call myself an environmentalist but it's frankly wasteful of resources and money.
75% of all luxury cars are leased. Germans know this which explains why their garbage shits the bed after 3 years.

• 1Like
  • 1Rustled

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
75% of all luxury cars are leased. Germans know this which explains why their garbage shits the bed after 3 years.

If only it was just the Germans, even some traditional "built to last" vehicles like the the F-150 and even Mack trucks use plastic oil pans now.

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
If only it was just the Germans, even some traditional "built to last" vehicles like the the F-150 and even Mack trucks use plastic oil pans now.
Ford going route now of GM now. I had a 2018 F250 diesel. Got rid of it during the start of Covid car buying panic. Got what I paid for it. I was happy to see it go.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
This was my previous car. A 2017 Dacia Logan with a 0.9L engine, 90HP and manual transmission. A dream to drive in a very special color !

Regarding german cars, Romania is fucking full of 5+ years old german cars. Pretty sure there's an equal number of BMW's and Dacia's on the road and only one of them is made in Romania. Anyway, shitload of friends have them (most 5+ years old), 95% of them had problems with them sooner or later. I'd buy one with fuck you money but not otherwise.

If you want a high quality car go japanese or korean for lower budgets. If work & shit goes how I want it to go, in 3 years when I finish the lease on this I'm getting a Lexus or at least the then equivalent of a RAV4 Prime. I know someone through work that paid ~25.000$ for a 2013 Lexus and for a long time I couldn't understand that choice. I'm slowly starting to.

Attachments

• logan2.jpg
    logan2.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Logan1.jpg
    Logan1.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
My new track car (still driving the M550i as a daily, though the M4 Comp is perfectly fine as a daily even with the carbon bucket seats). Behind my track toy is my bride's Defender. Really enjoy the defender, comfortable and really cool interior though rubbish gas mileage (obviously)...

IMG_0535.jpg

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My new track car (still driving the M550i as a daily, though the M4 Comp is perfectly fine as a daily even with the carbon bucket seats). Behind my track toy is my bride's Defender. Really enjoy the defender, comfortable and really cool interior though rubbish gas mileage (obviously)...

View attachment 413772
Take me!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Hallett is pretty close to your new digs - maybe we can do an FOH track day meet up. Great little race track west of Tulsa

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

View attachment 413772

I'd have bought a 4th M3 for a daily if the front had been attractive like prior gens. I'd also have chosen that green. Fantastic color.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Completely agree. Be happy with what you drive. Same goes for work, hobbies, a partner, etc. Otherwise, why bother?

I'm fine with living cheap when I can, but splurge big on the stuff you use every day: car, phone, TV, Game PC. Everything else is budget :p

Probably belongs in the Rustled thread, but I do need to move somewhere that doesn't have a property tax on cars. Such a stupid thing to waste money on...

• 1Rustled

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'd have bought a 4th M3 for a daily if the front had been attractive like prior gens. I'd also have chosen that green. Fantastic color.
The Green is indeed a beautiful color - the front definitely has a bit of a horse face thing going on, and I'm not sure I'll ever really love it but it's kind of growing on me? Ultimately, I forget about it while driving the car as it's a really great drivers car.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The Green is indeed a beautiful color - the front definitely has a bit of a horse face thing going on, and I'm not sure I'll ever really love it but it's kind of growing on me? Ultimately, I forget about it while driving the car as it's a really great drivers car.

I think Mercedes is the only company left still making cars that don't have radical angles on them and a more refined look. Too bad they don't make good cars.

• 1Solidarity

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think Mercedes is the only company left still making cars that don't have radical angles on them and a more refined look. Too bad they don't make good cars.

I think I'd still buy an S Class over about 80% of the other vehicles made around the world.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I bought a gen 2 crewmax a few months ago to use as a gofer. Old man owned and stored in a barn :D

Do the led interior light upgrade if you haven't yet. Get a bulb puller because the front map lights are a PITA to pull out without it...you can't monkey with those reflectors at all. I also did the cab and reverse lights.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
My gopher.

Clean underneath. No oil leaks anywhere. Frame just about as good as new. No rust. Full service history from new. It needs a wax job, but otherwise as good as new.

Clean nearly new interior. I am super picky about condition and cleanliness and this one is pretty ace. It throws no codes other than an air pump ($98 genuine OEM Toyota part).

$24k.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Sludig

Hallett is pretty close to your new digs - maybe we can do an FOH track day meet up. Great little race track west of Tulsa
Well id just be riding bitch until I can find a new toy without excessive markup. Complicated by wife being laid off after her companies fuck ups have them probably going under.

Sludig

My gopher.

Clean underneath. No oil leaks anywhere. Frame just about as good as new. No rust. Full service history from new. It needs a wax job, but otherwise as good as new.

Clean nearly new interior. I am super picky about condition and cleanliness and this one is pretty ace. It throws no codes other than an air pump ($98 genuine OEM Toyota part).

$24k.

View attachment 413998
What was miles because in this market you committed elder abuse stealing it from that guy for that.