What vehicle do you drive?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Go watch a video of someone burning alive in a car crash and you’ll change your mind right quick. I’d rather be gassed by an extinguisher than go out like that.
Alright, well in that case I'll go out and get one to stick in my trunk.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
RE: fire extinguishers . FWIW I've kept one in my truck since I was 1st responder to a fatality crash. The car that caused the accident smoked up (turned out to be steam off the engine due to the 70+mph head on crash) thankfully but no-one, including me , had an extinguisher.
They are cheap, and one of the 'oh fuck' things that become a no-brainer. Of course since I bought it I haven't had to use it. But.......

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
RE: fire extinguishers . FWIW I've kept one in my truck since I was 1st responder to a fatality crash. The car that caused the accident smoked up (turned out to be steam off the engine due to the 70+mph head on crash) thankfully but no-one, including me , had an extinguisher.
They are cheap, and one of the 'oh fuck' things that become a no-brainer. Of course since I bought it I haven't had to use it. But.......
Be sure it's properly secured, those things are missiles when loose in the car in an accident.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Be sure it's properly secured, those things are missiles when loose in the car in an accident.
It's strapped down in my under seat storage container. (pickup) that seat bottom stays up for quick access. Same area I keep the jack , etc. all good. I'm aware of the stop/missile/physics part of it as well.

• 2Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
It's strapped down in my under seat storage container. (pickup) that seat bottom stays up for quick access. Same area I keep the jack , etc. all good. I'm aware of the stop/missile/physics part of it as well.
Same here. I have one under the rear seat in my PU. In AZ, car fires are frequent. Usually cars overheat and tranny fluid pukes out of the dip stick and onto the exhaust manifold. I almost got the chance to use mine when the truck behind me burst into flames but by the time I stopped and ran over to it, it was a totally engulfed.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Why? I'm not some dumbass that drives in areas where my extremely hot heads/exhaust/breaks are touching highly flammable material. I have also never taken such poor care of my car that it had a gas or oil leak that would pose a fire hazard.

I don't even drive my quad in my pasture in certain parts of the dry summer for this very reason, and if I have to I always have an extinguisher with me.

Surprising amount of stupid for what look like actual ranchers/farmers

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The one car that does have an extinguisher, has it mounted in the passenger footwell via two quick release clamps. I’m sure it’s timed out by now, but I never check it.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
That was the concept, it's slightly less hideous in production, depending on the colour/trim it's merely ostentatious. Had the chance to look at it in the flesh last time I was at the dealer and it's imposing if nothing else. Sits on 23" rims. It starts at well over $150k.

View attachment 487554
Goddamn, that is absolutely awful. It's just a discordant mess of design... they need to fire whoever approved this, like yesterday.
And I thought Chris Bangle did some damage to the BMW brand via poor design, wow.

In comparison, that 4 series linked earlier isn't bad at all. Especially with that Euro license plate to break up that 'buck teeth' grill in front.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Goddamn, that is absolutely awful. It's just a discordant mess of design... they need to fire whoever approved this, like yesterday.
And I thought Chris Bangle did some damage to the BMW brand via poor design, wow.

In comparison, that 4 series linked earlier isn't bad at all. Especially with that Euro license plate to break up that 'buck teeth' grill in front.

Pretty sure the XM etc is meant for sportsball players etc, i.e. young men with something to prove and too much money (but not quite enough for a green Lamborghini). Definitely a far cry from the elegant stuff they once made. They sort of lost the plot once they started chasing the market instead of just doing what they were good at. Now there's minivans, SUVs in like 19 different shapes, front wheel drive stuff...

Been driving almost nothing but BMWs for the last 20 years since it was one of the few remaining ways of getting a RWD 6 cylinder car in the EU market but that distinction is disappearing with the push to electric. Was considering an i4 but it's kind of hard to justify the 20k premium over a model 3 when they have similar performance, range and use touchscreens instead of buttons. Interior's definitely better made but that only goes so far.

• 2Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The one car that does have an extinguisher, has it mounted in the passenger footwell via two quick release clamps. I’m sure it’s timed out by now, but I never check it.
It would be pretty worthless anywhere out of reach, if the goal is to put out a fire that is going to burn you alive (or give you enough time to break free). Unfortunately then you run into crowding issues where the extinguisher is taking up leg room on the passenger side.

For the case above, I don't think a single extinguisher would have been enough for that fire, and in a crash, if you have fuel leaking onto hot parts, I'm not sure how effective a single extinguisher would be in that situation either (of course having one and being able to try is better than not having one).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i strapped mine down on the passenger front seat

you know that bar that slides forward/back

i want 4 things at arms reach

seatbelt/window breaker and mag light (billy club kind) on driver side and fire extinquisher and bat on passenger seat

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It would be pretty worthless anywhere out of reach, if the goal is to put out a fire that is going to burn you alive (or give you enough time to break free). Unfortunately then you run into crowding issues where the extinguisher is taking up leg room on the passenger side.

For the case above, I don't think a single extinguisher would have been enough for that fire, and in a crash, if you have fuel leaking onto hot parts, I'm not sure how effective a single extinguisher would be in that situation either (of course having one and being able to try is better than not having one).
I can easily reach it from the driver’s seat. But, other than putting myself out, I can’t see it saving the car if something catastrophic happens.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
i strapped mine down on the passenger front seat

you know that bar that slides forward/back

i want 4 things at arms reach

seatbelt/window breaker and mag light (billy club kind) on driver side and fire extinquisher and bat on passenger seat
mine is pretty much to help others, if my truck was on fire I'd try getting it out but would not worry overmuch letting it burn down. One thing I know about me is I don't panic.

Funny semi related story: I am getting ready for work and getting ready to take a shower. Someone bangs on my door and tries to open it at the same time, a LOT. I rip the door open - at this point I'm naked and I do not really recall if I had a towel on or not but it turned out to be a fireman. He said , you have to evacuate the building , one of the units is on fire. I said 'that's bad ' deadpan and he did a triple take ...said 'yes it is' and ran to the next unit. I went and got my wallet, phone and checkbook then went out side to see what was what.

• 1Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
the%20zucchini-a-L.jpg

suzuki.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Weird Boner
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Which one of you pole smokers in a GTR was doing 65 mph in the fast lane on 121 today?

• 1Worf

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Used to hang with this guy and some other drifters before they hit it big, looks like a pretty slick event.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Traded my Crosstrek in

for another Crosstrek.

• 4Like
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just picked this 1987, garage kept Honda Helix with just over 12k miles on it for $1500. The guy before me picked it up an an estate sale with just over 8k on it. He did all the maintenance on it and upgraded all the lights to LED.
20230825_160503.jpg
20230825_160440.jpg
20230825_160452.jpg

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users