What's going on at Blizzard?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Right around the time that "achievements" lost their meaning is when actual achievements lost their meaning. Then it became the battle of who could datamine, beta test, public test, and poopsock for 24-48 hours.

Ahn'Qiraj was another tipping point, where an event was geared to the community but the rise of the casual gamers were already growing from there.

Top 25s for each server became top 25 world wide, then only top 10 or top 5 and no one cared beyond that. "Wait for the video"

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
It bottles my mind how anyone can look back at WoW as if it was ever hard.

> poopsock for 24-48 hours.

I spent my summer vacation sitting on a god damn mountain in the middle of fucking nowhere waiting in line for Ragefire to spawn with 6 other assholes, hoping one of them would DC or AFK and I could jump in front of them in line. I took 18 hour shifts and my brother sat watch for six hours while I slept just in case anyone sent me a tell asking if I was there or not.

When my turn finally came 6 weeks later, my guild couldn't get enough people online to kill the bastard on the first try. So the guy behind me killed Ragefire and I had to go to the back of the fucking line and wait another 7 weeks.

All this so I could spend the next few years holding a limp penis in my clerics hand.

ooumpa.jpg

Also, a few months after I completed the epic they made the NPC spawnable on demand.

Fuck you. WoW was always casual.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Himeo bro, I understand them feels

Ragefire camp was fucking brutal back in original EQ. Had to constantly clear out the Giants leading to the camp and sit looking at a stupid grey wall for hours upon hours. I had like 3 other clerics ahead of me at the time and when it was my turn some other faggot who was not in the queue ran in with his shitty guild and stole him from me because it was early hours when it popped and i couldn't wake everyone in my guild up fast enough to log on.

Holy shit I was pissed. Ended up with a continuous camp of over 120 hours at that fucking place and swore I would never set foot in Sol B ever again.

Never have I've been at my PC for that long consecutively before and since. All for a stupid looking epic that has an effect that benefits other people more than yourself but that is why I picked to play Cleric I suppose.

That camp was so ingrained in my memory that my original FOH board user handle was Zordak Ragefire so was the name I used to register on Justin.tv (now Twitch).

Fuck Ragefire.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, let's talk about some other historical Blizzard games that people still play..

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Back in Vanilla, 40 man AQ & Naxx were incredibly hard. You had to be precise. Shit was ruthless. I enjoyed it.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
the millions and millions who play it probably do.

more accurate would be that no one gives a fuck about EQ (anymore)

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You know... these new phones are way too easy to get. I don't even need to set up a tent and camp out overnight to get one before they go on backorder. Fucking new phones. Way too fucking easy.

You remember the first iPhone? You remember that shit? Fucking hard man. I'm getting hard thinking about how hard it was.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
lol queuing for ragefire. We had 4-5 people in guild with alts who they would check now and then. When ragefire popped we would go kill it for whichever of our clerics was online and needed it. I can understand why guilds who operated in US prime time might be more civil and honor things like a "ragefire queue", but given we were the only Aussie raid guild on our server we could just take what we wanted during our prime time.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I never got my 1.0 but I got over the disappointment pretty quickly. Better stuff came out later and I left for WoW so the 1.5/2.0 didn't matter. For some classes the epics felt more like status symbols than anything else.

I've started a new account a decade later and I wanted to do the 1.0 on my toons...well, now you have people farming Fear nonstop, LOL, but the recent server issues ended up helping me out. I'd also totally forgotten about there being quest NPCs that will despawn when you do an item turn-in. It's annoying to have to wait 36 hours for your next turn in step, but thank God I don't have to worry about there being a line of people waiting for the respawn so they can do their turn in and despawn the NPC again, LOL.

Cybsled

Ever notice that when people mention EQ1 being hard, it always comes back to time?

The only thing that was hard was testing your patience, because sitting around in Guk waiting for Raster to spawn, or PoS to repop after some shit guild killed the Azracks and you needed to wait for a repop so you could key up and get to the next island, was just boring as fuck.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
EQ isn't the only game I've seen that in. A lot of people for some reason seem to conflate time investment with difficulty.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Not falling asleep on the 25th hour of camping the same room in guk/solb WAS difficult, I don't see how you can deny that.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The bleeding edge content in WOW was and is harder than anything they've ever put in EQ, and it isn't even close