Whats rustling your jimmies?

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Seven fucking hood-rat, disprespetful Kangs walk into my restaurant 40 minutes before close.

They can't make eye contact, can't fucking speak up, never tip, and are the bane of my existence since they put some section 8 housing up a couple miles from the store I work at.

Mother fuckers!

• 2Smuggly
  • 1Like
  • 1Nationalist
Reactions: 4 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
God damn it. Here's a rustle that's now forced me to post: copy-pasting into an email or here in the FOH reply window AND IT PASTES THE FUCKING HTML FORMATTING of the source. God damn it that shit pisses me off. Constantly have to open Notepad, paste it into that, then copy again to strip the formatting.

• 1Jew
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
rustled that i am an idiot for calculus
took one look at the exam and just went to the professor and said bro i have zero idea what's going on just give me a zero and walked out
it is highly likely i will have to retake the course in the summer

sucks

• 1Jew
  • 1Worf

ShakyJake

<Donor>
rustled that i am an idiot for calculus
took one look at the exam and just went to the professor and said bro i have zero idea what's going on just give me a zero and walked out
it is highly likely i will have to retake the course in the summer

sucks

I'm in Calc II right now and it's kicking my ass. I'm passing, but what pisses me off is that the concepts aren't that difficult to understand. But the teacher is creating test problems that are overly elaborate. Like integrate sqrt( (e^(x^2/2)+e^(-x^2/2))^2) or some shit like that and she'll punish the shit out of you if you make one small mistake along the way. It's like WHY? The concepts can be tested the same without creating problems that explode into complexity.

• 1Jew
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If you have to take multiple calculus and are are gonna fail 1 you might never make it. 2 was hardest and 3 was hard as the prof wanted to make it it seemed to me.

• 1Jew
  • 1Like

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you have to take multiple calculus and are are gonna fail 1 you might never make it. 2 was hardest and 3 was hard as the prof wanted to make it it seemed to me.
Calc 3 part is very accurate. I have friends that swear it's easier than calc 1; for me it was far, far harder than calc 2, which didn't give me much trouble.

• 1Jew

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Calc 3 was way easier than 2 in my experience. I don't know if 2 was actually hard or if I was just lazy but sequences/series were fucking gay. Hated that shit.

• 1Jew
  • 1Like

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
bleh I'm going to give it a real go and see if I can squeak by
Made 3 tutoring appts for next week so idk

• 1Jew

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
pre calc
so yeah i feel extra dumb

Nah, not if you're old for a college student. I went back a few years ago. Precalc was my first math class in 10 years and ultimately found it harder than calc 1, though considerably easier than 2 or 3.

If you're truly struggling, though - as in you're working on it every night and just not making any progress - and not just maybe slacking a bit, you're probably going to want to do some thinking about what you intend to do.

And you really, really need to nail precalc. Calc 1 and 2 are basically algebra on crack and 3 is trig with algebra on crack in 3d. You won't be able to get away with not knowing everything from precalc.

• 2Like
  • 1Jew
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Thank you for the earnest advice. I can't drop it this time so I am going to see it through the end.

• 1Jew
  • 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I'm 45 and working on my computer science degree. I hadn't taken a math course since 1989 (which was Algebra II, I think?). Anyway, I had to back all the way up to math developmental courses to act as a refresher. I then proceeded to Pre-Calc I and II just so I could resume working on my degree which requires Calc I & II.

Prior to Calculus, the math courses I took I scored A's in with moderate effort. Calculus though? Difficulty ramped up to absurd levels. And, again, I don't find the concepts difficult to comprehend at all, but the instructor expects that you really know your algebra and trig well because the problems get way out of hand. And quite honestly I don't practice that stuff enough to get that good at it. It's like every problem of hers is a complex math puzzle. I guess at a real university (this is a community college) this stuff is made even more difficult? I've heard horror stories of pretty much everyone getting failing test grades and you just have to rely on grading curves in order to pass. It's obviously not that difficult because there are plenty of students getting A's and B's but for me it's taking massive effort to be in the 'C' range.

To add, the main reason I'm not doing exceedingly well is because I fuck up constantly. I'm always screwing something somewhere, or forget some little notation (like the "dx" on an integral), and my instructor punishes you big time for shit like that. It's frustrating because it's ultimately unavoidable...I cannot not make mistakes and there isn't enough time to review your work. Usually half the students are still working right up to end of the class.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Jew
Reactions: 2 users

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
professor can def make or break the whole deal. Best case is you get a professor who values actual understanding (over taking off 40% for notation bs) and you look at it enough to understand. Trying to get by memorizing and regurgitating seemed pretty rough to me.

I helped my brother with his business calc and he couldn't do the lesser math to get to the calc part, was totally fucked. Precalc is a good deal, but make sure you're applying yourself.

• 1Jew
  • 1Like

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
And, again, I don't find the concepts difficult to comprehend at all, but the instructor expects that you really know your algebra and trig well because the problems get way out of hand. And quite honestly I don't practice that stuff enough to get that good at it.

That's pretty much it, honestly. I imagine the last month of calc 2 is pure assrape if you're taking on power series without knowing your algebra.

I didn't experience the engineering grading curve until calc 3, where my professor permitted me to fume over my performance on an impossible exam for a week, whereupon I found out I scored a 53 I think it was, which was one of the highest scores in my 70-person class and turned into an A. Those summer-semester professors can be utterly insane.

• 1Jew

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
I three bachelor's degrees and a master's degree and the highest level math I've ever taken is college algebra.

• 1Jew
  • 1Blown
  • 1Islamic
Reactions: 3 users