Whats rustling your jimmies?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This reminds me that me and a few other people almost had our jimmies scrambled recently. Was at a stoplight in the middle of a long (maybe 2mi), straight rural highway. Normally 65 speed limit, but drops to 55 for the light but people tend to go 75+. Light basically only there to let people in and out of a factory. Trucker coming down the doesn't notice the light or the couple of stopped cars until it's WAY too late. He manages to get onto the shoulder thank god, but blows through the intersection at speed and somehow the cross traffic managed not to be in his way. He finally got stopped maybe 3 truck/trailer lengths from the far side of the light. Me and a few other people used up a bunch of luck points that day.
in our little highway town every few months a trucker kills someone doing this. Despite the trucker protest threads we all cheered on, back of my mind On tremendous so many of them are scummy retards at the wheel.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Solid reason why I welcome self-driving/assisted-driving cars

There's a good possibility that those cars could alleviate most city congestion. Everyone would need to be using them though, or almost everyone. Cause then the cars can all coordinate and go through lights efficiently, etc. If the lights are also hooked into the system, even better. No more sitting at a red light with nothing going on the other side. The light could adjust on the fly and turn green to let the lane with actual cars in it go.

All in all there's a good chance everyone would get where they're going a lot faster, and without having to stress behind the wheel, they wouldn't be road raging and all that. Course this is all probably 5+ years in the future if it happens at all.

Come to think of it, FLYING cars would actually be a lot more feasible under this paradigm, as well. Cause right now, we probably have the tech to develop them, but nobody's going to because of the risk of people using them as flying missiles. Essentially small planes that anyone can hijack. If they were all under computer control, that risk would mostly disappear (outside of, say, hackers in terror groups trying to get into the system, I guess).

So if all the kinks were ironed out and this self-driving system had a 100% success rate, flying cars could gradually be developed and added to it. First for wealthy people of course, then more and more common as the production costs come down. Whenever you see flying cars in sci-fi, they're usually all flying in a perfect straight line right? That's an AI system at work. It'd alleviate even more traffic. Maybe by 2050, getting around won't be any kind of hassle at all because there'll be people in the air and everyone on the ground will be moving with actual efficiency.

And speaking of efficiency, productivity would also go up because people could spend their commute time getting work / school stuff done. Also we'd have more leisure time to play games or whatnot.

I'd say "the future can't come soon enough" but I'm also tired of people I like dying off, and my cat is 14 and a half (going on 3 cause he zips around like a squirrel). So the future can stay where it is as long as possible. But it's cool to mull over and at least have something to look forward to.

Edit: Cross-posted this in Driverless Cars in 2016 if anyone wants to continue the self-driving car tangent there.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
As someone with the latest Full Self Drive software, it's nowhere near ready for prime time. Kind of like an updated game, it does get smoother each patch. But it cannot figure out certain things, or even read NO RIGHT TURN ON RED signs.

But after watching retarded people take 40 seconds to get going at green lights (plus 16 wheelers and their 18 gears :p ) it'll really alleviate traffic in city driving when the majority are self driving and EV semis become a common thing.

One annoyance that is at least partially my fault, is the slow rollers who are turning right on red. When my light turns green, I'm already doing 35 a second later. People will roll up to the red light in the street to the right, see traffic just start to move, and will almost roll right into me.

Also this shithead a few days ago :

• 1Like
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
As someone with the latest Full Self Drive software, it's nowhere near ready for prime time. Kind of like an updated game, it does get smoother each patch. But it cannot figure out certain things, or even read NO RIGHT TURN ON RED signs.

But after watching retarded people take 40 seconds to get going at green lights (plus 16 wheelers and their 18 gears :p ) it'll really alleviate traffic in city driving when the majority are self driving and EV semis become a common thing.

One annoyance that is at least partially my fault, is the slow rollers who are turning right on red. When my light turns green, I'm already doing 35 a second later. People will roll up to the red light in the street to the right, see traffic just start to move, and will almost roll right into me.

Also this shithead a few days ago :

I refused to use FSD in NYC/Long Island. The road condition (shitty), cars parking on the street everywhere forcing you into the middle of the road, and lack of actual paint striping most everywhere made it suicidal to use.

In rural Fla this last week, I have been using the shit out of it It's great here. In my opinion, the number 1 area of concern is the car making left turns against oncoming traffic. I pretty much take control at these intersections every time.

Also moving to a rural place makes a lot of this rustling due to shitty drivers go away. Driving here is a dream so far.

• 1Like

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Not to put anything else in your head, but with his gun and not telling anyone any chance he went to check out? Any pets left unattended etc

Well, maybe he was that kinda dude.

His parents said his house has zero food in it. There's an empty pizza box, but that's it. His property manager said he didn't pay his association last month or this month. He paid his mortgage last month.

No note in his house or his car. He turned his phone off while he was at home (I had incorrect information and thought it was in the park when it stopping pinging) and a camper we talked to said she had seen him around 4pm yesterday with his pistol in his hand. He turned around and went back the direction he came when he saw her.

My kid and I scoured the north half of the park. Then my buddies came over and we scoured the north 3/4 of the park. Still a lot of acreage off the trails, but it's pretty obvious we are no longer looking for an injured hiker. We are now looking for a guy who does not want to be found.

With how high the grass is, they'll probably find the body at next year's thaw. Fucking thing sucks, I'm down 2 good friends in 2 months. You shouldn't be dealing with that shit when you're in your 40s.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well, maybe he was that kinda dude.

His parents said his house has zero food in it. There's an empty pizza box, but that's it. His property manager said he didn't pay his association last month or this month. He paid his mortgage last month.

No note in his house or his car. He turned his phone off while he was at home (I had incorrect information and thought it was in the park when it stopping pinging) and a camper we talked to said she had seen him around 4pm yesterday with his pistol in his hand. He turned around and went back the direction he came when he saw her.

My kid and I scoured the north half of the park. Then my buddies came over and we scoured the north 3/4 of the park. Still a lot of acreage off the trails, but it's pretty obvious we are no longer looking for an injured hiker. We are now looking for a guy who does not want to be found.

With how high the grass is, they'll probably find the body at next year's thaw. Fucking thing sucks, I'm down 2 good friends in 2 months. You shouldn't be dealing with that shit when you're in your 40s.
Wonder if the first death got to him, was he of our mind politically? Pretty easy setting that someone could over dose on black pills if they don't have a family depending on them etc.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Wonder if the first death got to him, was he of our mind politically? Pretty easy setting that someone could over dose on black pills if they don't have a family depending on them etc.

Yeah, he was with us. His parents said he stopped talking to them months ago, didn't stop over for mother's day, etc, hell, didn't even cash his Xmas check, all because they were CNN vaxtards that kept hassling him about it.

I mean fuck, we're all depressed in clown world, so I get it, but I literally had no idea it had gotten this bad

• 1Harrow

Mandriana

Fortunately our leadership will be able to achieve this without any infringments on personal liberty at all!
Yep. I no longer view new technology through a lens of how much more convenient, safe, and easy it will make life, but how much easier it would be for the state to remove freedoms.

• 4Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 4 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I mean fuck, we're all depressed in clown world, so I get it, but I literally had no idea it had gotten this bad

Is this like where you quit an MMO, and assume everyone feels exactly like you do? I mean, I'm rather happy, have been for years!

In not so many words, good luck with your friend, but there's a political forum here just for you!

:

• 1Edgelord
  • 1GreNeg
  • 1Harrow
Reactions: 3 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Is this like where you quit an MMO, and assume everyone feels exactly like you do? I mean, I'm rather happy, have been for years!

In not so many words, good luck with your friend, but there's a political forum here just for you!

:

Who are you again?

• 1Picard

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

:

And you wonder why people here piss on you. Christ, you are just such a cunt.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm rustled that I sometimes click "show ignored content" even though I know it's never a good idea.

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Fortunately our leadership will be able to achieve this without any infringments on personal liberty at all!

I'm more of the mind that if everyone had a choice and found that the self-driving tech worked well enough to ease their minds, it'd naturally get enough widespread adoption for the system to really work and alleviate traffic issues.

Our "leadership" doesn't need to butt in at all, nor should they be butting in to prop up private industries. Like Pfizer. Isn't that textbook fascism? Pretty much the only actual textbook fascism during 2017-2021? Mandriana Mandriana Yeah me too on the immediately going to how the state can abuse some new technology.

Yeah, it's real easy. I know people who are mind-bogglingly depressed, or isolated, or not talking to their own parents. On both "sides" politically. It isn't like the lefties are running around cheering or anything, they're even more depressed and mopey than we are because they think the world is ending within ten years and black people are being hunted in the streets and deprived of voting. I mean with all the stuff they believe, it's amazing they can even muster a smile during the day. Suicide rates are through the roof regardless of political ideology cause blackpills are such a big thing for a lot of people.

Also, in my experience, the people who off themselves usually seem totally fine to the people around them in the time before they do it. "He wasn't that kind of dude" is a common sentiment. Like somebody will be uber-depressed for a while but then when they stop being depressed and "seem fine" and don't talk about their feelings anymore, watch out.

• 1Solidarity

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
I'm more of the mind that if everyone had a choice and found that the self-driving tech worked well enough to ease their minds, it'd naturally get enough widespread adoption for the system to really work and alleviate traffic issues.
The decision-making process of human beings is greatly weighted towards the path of least resistance. Less work with equal or greater output? Done. Nap while "driving" to my next appointment? Done. Etc.

Edit
My only real problem with this technology is, in the case of an emergency for example, I don't want Skynet deciding I'm the one who has to die. I'll take my own chances with my own hands.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
There is an amazing woman I know. Another hockey parent. She's just a good, quality person. She has three kids, 15, 12, and 8. She was just diagnosed with stage four colon cancer, and it has metastasized to her liver, kidneys, spine, and spine. The doctors are doing everything they can to just keep her comfortable. Not heal her, keep her comfortable for the next few weeks which will be her last. She is 40 years old.

Fuck that shit. It's just not right.

• 6Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 8 users

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
There is an amazing woman I know. Another hockey parent. She's just a good, quality person. She has three kids, 15, 12, and 8. She was just diagnosed with stage four colon cancer, and it has metastasized to her liver, kidneys, spine, and spine. The doctors are doing everything they can to just keep her comfortable. Not heal her, keep her comfortable for the next few weeks which will be her last. She is 40 years old.

I feel ya. I've talked about how my friends and I have been together since we were kids-- over 35 years. But 15-20 years ago we lost one of our group to cancer. He was just settling into his life-- wife, kids, great career, etc. Then bam!, cancer. He was the Eagle Scout guy, lived clean, etc. Really fucks with your sense of what's Right when it feels like it's never the ones who deserve to go who end up getting the short end of the stick like that.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
If there was ever a more direct example of giving control to the machines than self driving cars, I don't know what it is. Half of our society is already watching what the youtube machine tells you to watch and thinking what the machine tells you to think.

When they start literally letting the machines start making decisions about who to run over or not, its time to start administering the hugs. Warm hugs. The kind that last a little longer than expected. Wait, isnt this hug over yet? No its not.

I'm not saying "I won't ever own a self driving car"; that should go without saying. I'm talking about hugs for anyone that will. This is not the only example of "who should be in charge, man or machine?" that we face. But its one of the most obvious glaring red lines. Fuck that, and fuck anyone on the "let the robots drive" side of the line. War.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>

FUCK CANCER (tm) !

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity